Bee Gees Rhino Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Futurecity, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

I believe they even kept them in their mock stereo state too. Now that is historical accuracy if anything!

2. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

Considering that he said he wanted future reissues to stand as they originally were without any bonus cuts and that we're now getting bonus cuts on the WB box then maybe he's already had a change of heart. The addition of Shape Of Things To Come is most welcome. Okay, there's nothing included that hasn't been released before but there doesn't appear to be a great deal from the later years in the vault anyway. The only thing I've heard is Young Love and I wasn't overly keen on it.

But only a couple of songs from their entire career? Surely he jests.

3. ferdinandhudson

No, he was referring to outtakes (songs they had shelved from being issued at the time of putting out the original releases). He said there was a reason they hadn't released them in the first place (or something along those lines) and he didn't want them on the albums now. A part of me makes me think that the reason Warner is able to put this set together, the expanded E.S.P and One in particular is that they call the shots on those albums to begin with and can pretty much stuff those with extras as long as they have been previously released (which they all have). I can't say for sure if this is true or not but it is my inner Fox Mulder musing. Next thing we may get is Size Isn't Everything with every remix known of Paying the Price of Love and Decadance ever issued. :D

JDeanB and Hep Alien like this.
  4. Cloudbuster

Oh hell no!

We need to find a way to email this thread to him. :D

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

With all due respect to any fans of the b-side of that OST, Frank Stallone is only on there because of his more famous brother being the director of that awful sequel. Play those songs at your own risk!

Cloudbuster likes this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You're right - I've seen that with both a white and a grey cover, and with and w/o a bonus dvd.

If they bundled something like Living Eyes with it, now that I would buy!

7. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

If only this would happen. I really want Main Course, Children Of The World and Here At Last remastered and expanded. Living Eyes would be a bonus for me. I just started listening to the vinyl which I got back when it was released, it's not as bad as I thought, I kind of shelved it away back in the day.

8. Cloudbuster

As cheesy as it sounds, keep the faith Sir. I never imagined we would eventually get the WB material. ;)

JDeanB, rstamberg and Hep Alien like this.
  9. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've actually stayed away from the four different comps that you mention here, but I did pick up the Rhino BEE GEES GREATEST 2-CD reissue though, which sounds incredible by the way, and for me, it was worth it for Warm Ride and the Staying Alive promo version.

If they just did something a little different for the Barry and Robin discs on MYTHOLOGY, Rhino may have got me to buy it by now, but since I already own the earlier TALES 4-CD boxed set and the TOO MUCH HEAVEN 3-CD publishing promo, I decided to pass on it, even though discs 3 & 4 are worth owning of course.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. ferdinandhudson

It was issued in both colour schemes when Polydor originally issued it, it simply varied depending on territory and tracklisting varied as well (the Reprise reissue stuck with the grey and just one tracklisting worldwide). The DVD was a bonus in some territories during its original release.

11. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

I have BeeGees Greatest on vinyl and the original old 2 CD un-remastred, and the 4 CD set Tales Of The Brothers Gibb which I absolutely love. I got #1 and that Love Song compilation but I'm not sure why. I've stayed away from the rest The Record, Ultimate, and Mythology. I've been debating getting Mythology, it's been repackaged cheaper with a lower prices, I've seen it in the store for about $27 but do I really want all those songs again?

12. James Reeno

James Reeno Active Member

"Living eyes" was released on cd. You mean a re-issue.

13. James Reeno

The 2006 Reprise remasters are not the ones to get. Compression was used.

14. James Reeno

"Far from over" is actually a very well written and arranged song. It's stronger than most of the new bee gees songs on that album.

Beatlened likes this.
  15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The TWO YEARS ON Japanese cardboard-sleeved CD sounds fine ... not great ... But then I don't think it's been remastered.

16. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

I agree with this. It was a pop hit and a surprisingly good one. I think it's better than "The Woman In You," though I do like the energy on that.

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I've yet to hear a great version of that album period. Neither the original cd or the vinyl I have are exactly what I would call stellar sounding. I'm not sure these tracks were recorded all that well to begin with.

I should play side two sometime - haven't heard any of those songs in over 20 years!

rstamberg likes this.
  18. Futurecity

Yes, I meant will Living Eyes ever get a state-of-the-art Rhino remaster (reissue CD)...apparently not though! Yep, I am aware of the past LE CDs, including the Japanese versions as well. I recently picked up the 2014 Japan reissue in a mini LP/CD cardboard replica. It sounds pretty good, but has its issues also.

19. ferdinandhudson

As are all of the releases from 2006 and onwards but then that wasn't the point of my post. Just stating that the album was in print. It is either that or try to score a legit, non-counterfeit Polydor CD online.

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

What really is sad is that we see all these other threads on this forum, for so many different artists (many far less successful), who routinely come out with single album multi disc boxsets, SACDs, SHM and now platinum discs, hi res files, complete album boxes, etc.

We are left with a remastering program that stopped at album 4, a huge no. of greatest hits sets, some mid period and late period reissues, and Japanese non-remastered but expensive regular cds to fill in the gaps. And iTunes has most (if not all) of the regular catalog.

ferdinandhudson likes this.
  21. ferdinandhudson

It is sad and, for my own part, I think I've come to the end of my collecting days. I was really looking forward to more expanded sets but when they, imo, veered of the path and starting releasing compilations old and new with at best the odd rarity thrown in to lure the hard core fans I knew where it was heading. I can't see myself plowing more of my hardearned money into releases that offer neither added value (ie demos, outtakes, alternate takes/mixes and so forth) nor a sonic upgrades (the Japanese mini-LPs while looking marvelous about half of the lot aren't fit for listening pleasure).

I'll pick up "50 St Catherine's Drive" once the Japanese edition is out but unless something noteworthy comes out after that I will pass on future releases. I haven't even bothered with the WB Years box set...

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

There might be one more bit of fun for vinyl buyers. I have been on the hunt for Japanese OBI vinyl versions of Main Course thru Spirits. They sound much better than the US versions and have better liner notes and often more photos. I have never owned anything even approaching decent with Children of the World, but all these imports are like hearing them for the first time if you have a good system. They are pretty easy to find on ebay. I just the found my last one, finally, being Main Course. For some reason that one goes for more money and is harder to find. Every one of them were perfect pressings and flat. I just got Andy's Shadow Dancing album and while the difference wasn't as great, it was definitely better. These all sound like they were cut from the masters, not something three generations away like the US versions.

So, maybe, you don't have to be quite done shopping yet! Aside from Main Course, which was all of $50 shipped from Japan, the others were inexpensive. I already have an original copy of Living Eyes, and the Nautilus pressing, so I didn't get an OBI of that one.

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Jrr, did you get the 180 gram audiophile pressing of SNF that came out a few weeks ago. I held it in my hands a couple of times, but I'm a very casual vinyl guy and couldn't justify buying my 18th version of Stayin' Alive et al, but I was curious how it sounds. My original SNF vinyl is a bit worn at this stage!

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, funny enough that is one album I rarely play. I just didn't want to pay that much for one side of two albums. I did just get a Japanese OBI import recently (a 70' pressing) because it was packaged with their greatest hits album and one of Andys for around $25 for all three, which is remarkably cheap for Japanese OBI pressings. They all sounded fantastic. Like you, I have purchased many of their albums multiple times on many platforms. These vinyl OBI pressings are, I suspect, the very best these recordings will ever sound.

25. Futurecity

Just curious, why get the Japanese version of Robin's new CD...will it have bonus tracks? Also, I can highly recommend The Warner Years box...the upgraded audio is worth every penny or dollar. I still can't believe how incredibly rich ONE sounds and how near-perfect HC sounds. The 2-CD live concert sounds like it was recorded today...it's simply stellar in every way. The price is generally low as well and again, the new CDs are far superior compared with the older CDs where the audio is concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.