Bee Gees sign back catalog deal with Capitol !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boxy, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, Capital is run by a bunch of boneheads if that is the case...and who knows, you could be right. But I don’t think labels leave that sort of thing to chance. My hunch is everything is very specifically spelled out to the T. Which makes me agree with you completely....why did they even bother making a deal with him? The last thing we needed was another comp.

I didn’t realize there was a new Andy Gibb comp out...nice cover. I have the original, and rare, CD so I just don’t need it. And I have all his albums on vinyl, so I guess I don’t need it for the album tracks added on to it.

Scottb likes this.
  2. tages

tages Senior Member

There are so many fantastic outtakes from those albums ("Cucumber Castle" in particular) that deluxe editions would be incredible. They could even add the film! A man can dream.

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm in the minority, but I liked many of the Heartbreaker and Eyes That See In The Dark demos. I do agree that the other two album ones are not that great.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I used to not like the Kenny Rogers album they did. And then a few years I gave it another shot and really like This Woman a LOT, which then led me to really enjoying side one immensely. I still love This Woman...I should listen to the demo of that as I assume it’s also on iTunes? I wonder why they didn’t release that as a single, unless they did and I just wasn’t aware of it.
    Anyone still listening to Barrys solo album from a couple years ago? I thought a lot of it was quite good, but I haven’t spun it in a while. Time to pull it out again.

Jarleboy and JeffMo like this.
  5. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

It may be this thread if one reads back where I was really optimistic about things but that faded after hearing some of Barrys statements.
    Nobody get me wrong,I treasure all he has done and hope for more but I still get the feeling that the 1969 breakup burns deeply inside him and any material that is more Robin then his creates issues.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

It was great to finally have an official release of them plus the addition of Eaten Alive. Now, if we could also get an official physical release as well that would be great!

Rumour-wise, per GSI, it sounds like we may get some bonus stuff for the Spirits remaster but nothing specific as yet. What we do know is that Capitol are going through all the visual assets that came with the Bee Gees stuff previously held by Rhino. There is also another project being worked on but no details on exactly what that is.

7. JUAN CRISTOBAL

JUAN CRISTOBAL Forum Resident

The Top 100 Most Streamed Songs, By Decade in the USA

Stayin Alive the most Streamed song of the 70s in the US.

1950s Mack The Knife, Bobby Darin 24.03 M
    1960s Hey Jude. The Beatles 84.74 M
    1970s Stayin Alive The Bee Gees 244.37 M
    1980s Billie Jean Michael Jackson 450.72 M
    1990s I Will Always Love You, Whitney Houston 315.17 M
    Source: On- Demand U.S Streams (Audio and video combined) According to Nielsen Music

JeffMo likes this.
  8. Warren Hawk

Warren Hawk Forum Resident

Me and you both. At this point I even doubt there will be deluxe editions of the disco era albums era except SNF. After all Main Course must have only sold 5 million instead of SNF 30 million or whatever. They're fine to just keep reissuing that one over and over and over.....with or without bonus tracks.

Hadean75 likes this.
  9. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Hopefully, this means that we can get a deluxe Sgt. Pepper set including both the Beatles' version and the soundtrack version!

pablo fanques and granata like this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I agree....I really like the Mo disc and it was worth it just for that. Most of the other stuff is material most everyone here already has. People keep bringing up Living Eyes, only natural since it was issued only one time, when CD’s were just starting to come out (it was one of the first pop cds I had in my store, and many say it was THE first pop cd issued but I think that’s been disputed). Anyway, they are understandable hard to come by. But I think we all have to remember that this is a business. That album was a huge stiff when issued, and it’s hard to imagine it selling now. There were no major hits on that album, though I’m with most of you that say it was a fine follow up to Spirits Having Flown. When it came out, following that huge album, I remember NO ONE was even interested that they had a follow up album. I don’t know if there has ever been two albums back to back by any group where one was a huge number one, followed by a legitimate studio album that completely stiffed. I’m sure it has, but for a group that had such a high profile?

I think based on the fact that Rhino did not released much, that the market has spoken. There just isn’t interest in their catalogue except by those of us that will obsessively keep buying whatever they put out even if we already have it. Remember, they did reissue Main Course. Was it an embarassment? Certainly was! I don’t think it was remastered, and it certainly needs to be based on how good one of my vinyl copies sound. The liner notes were zilch. But, it likely told them there was not point releasing the stuff. When you look at some of the silly, pointless other albums that are being reissued, however, it’s hard to imagine that their iconic albums would not perform better than some obscure soundtracks and other albums we are seeing reissued. I think a deluxe issue of Mr. Natural through Spirits Having Flown would sell on vinyl, but I don’t now about CD’s. The story isn’t over yet; well see. That Rhino vinyl box set of their first three albums is magnificient. One of those puppies with Main Course, Children, SNF (maybe...but it’s been redone to death and isn’t exactly hard to find) and Spirits Having Flown would be a day one buy for me!

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You are kidding, right? I just tried to listen to that pile again recently. Truly wretched! A few decent remakes, but none by the Gibb’s. What a mistep! But...if you are serious, I’m glad to hear someone liked it. If nothing else, one thing you learn around here is that there is a fan for every album ever released. I bought it on day one, $15 which was a ton for me at the time, and I was SO disappointed. I listened to that thing over and over again trying to make myself like it. Never happened. Great cover though. I don’t even own a copy for completist reasons! I guess I need to say that Robin’s version of Oh Darlin’ is decent enough, but not worth buying the whole album for.

12. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Well, I'm not a big fan of the Beatles' interpretation of Sgt. Pepper, but calling it "wretched" may be a little harsh. ;)

Kidding aside, I saw the film in the theatre at the time of release and fell asleep. I re-watched it within the last couple of years, and while I still think the film is terrible, I do like several versions of the songs on their own.

Do you remember how many copies of that album used to be in the cutout bin? Right next to Tormato by Yes!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Barry’s “A Day In The Life” is also excellent.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I do remember. I’m not sure there was room for any other cut outs during that time! Dang, I just wanted to buy them up because they were so darn cheap, they were sealed, and it WAS a nice package. Still to this day I will see a vintage sealed copy of something I really like, I already have a copy, and I buy it anyway because I can’t stand it sitting there. How messed up is that? But come on guys, I’m sure some of you have absurd stories like that too! We keep buying this stuff over and over again. It’s fun...I just don’t know why.

I never saw the movie, but bought it on DVD a few years ago. I figured, how bad can it be? If it’s that bad, maybe it will be campy and fun. Nah. After I picked my jaw up off the floor over how bad it was, that was it for me. I think I made it ten minutes and then I knew what it was. Kinda like what Barry said when he went to Robert Stigwood and begged to be let out of it. I do think it likely looked good on paper. Sometimes it’s really difficult to know what you have until you get out there and start filming. Grease and SNF could have come out just as bad. Especially Grease! At least those had stories, and people liked them. I think with Sgt Pepper they forgot about that small detail...an engaging story would have helped (maybe). And who was going to say no to Robert? He had two giant hits in a row. At the least, I can say it was a very fun time though.

Regarding your comment I made about the word wretched, I’m not sure I’m over reaching by using the word and I rarely cut up anything arts related with such a strong word. Art is so subjective; it’s unfair to call something bad when someone else may strongly disagree and see something wonderful in it. But, to date no one has been able to bring up an example of such regarding this film (at least most of us can likekly agree there were some worthy remakes by other artists on the soundtrack) but I don’t recall anyone having anything positive to say about the film. However, I’m all ears! And keep in mind, this is my favorite band and they were a huge part of my musical childhood. But really, Pepper wasn’t their fault. It’s like Barry said, somebody comes to you and says hey, would you like to be in a movie about an iconic group and produce the album? Who’s going to say no to that, especially someone with Robert’s credentials. I think they were given a huge pass for that one, thank goodness. In all seriousness, my apologies to you or anyone else that did enjoy the film. It would be nice to know somebody enjoyed it!

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I don’t even know if I have the album...I doubt it. I will check and if I do, I’ll give that one a shot! Somebody up wind said that the Bee Gees catelogue is being looked at, and a project is in the works. I have to believe a nice vinyl box set must be on the horizon. A CD set of any kind likely won’t sell, and what else could they be up to. If so, I’m going to be very excited, though I know some of you don’t spin vinyl but perhaps there will be a digital version...who knows.

pablo fanques and JeffMo like this.
  16. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I admit I've never seen the film, but I have had the dvd wrapped in plastic sitting on the shelf for sometime.
    Continually, hearing things about it, has led to move on to something else to watch.
    This evaluation has made me think it will remain sealed probably throughout my lifetime lol!

Jrr likes this.
  17. kyletx500

kyletx500 Forum Resident

The film is terrible, but to me that makes it all the more fun to watch! It's easily fits in my "so bad it's good" movies list. Also, I think the soundtrack gets an unfair beating. Sure, there's some garbage on it, but I think a lot of the Bee Gees' contributions are perfectly fine, with Robin's "Oh! Darling" and Barry's "A Day in the Life" being high points. Also, don't forget "Got To Get You Into My Life" by EW&F and "Come Together" by Aerosmith both did respectably on the charts.

18. kyletx500

kyletx500 Forum Resident

19. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I'd like to add 'Nowhere Man' to tre list of good Bee Gees performances from the soundtrack. The opening harmonies are great, Barry's take om the verses is weaker, I think.

The film itself? Well, least said... I'm glad I have the Blu-ray, but it's hard to imagine a film with do much talent involved being this bad. And there's no two ways about it - it really is BAD.

pablo fanques, Jrr and kyletx500 like this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I agree those two songs are terrific! Oh Darlin’ is alright, and I believe it charted and got into the 30’s? I was hoping for “it’s so bad it’s good.” I think it’s either not bad enough, or just too awful. I haven’t made up my mind, but it’s been a lot of fun writing and reading these posts with you guys, and remembering a fun time in life!

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You’ve got to be kidding! Good ‘ol Shout Factory....gotta love those guys! Well, it helps make my case that if stuff like that can be let loose, there is no reason why we can’t hope for some nice Gibb Bros music reissues, which you would think would sell better than that blu-ray...lol!

Jarleboy and kyletx500 like this.
  22. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Yes, the Maurice disc is definitely one of the reasons to own Mythology...I only recently decided to acquire Mythology just to get the Maurice and Andy CDs! In fact, I mentioned in post #330 how shocked I was by the remastering on the Andy disc...I've never heard his songs sound better or so modern before.

As for Living Eyes, this album was issued in Japan on CD a number of times since the original CD release...in 1993, 2004 and 2014. Unfortunately, the most recent 2014 edition sounds the worst...the audio is very cleaned up, but it's also way too bright and the tone is off, plus the songs are kind of thin. Not what I expected from a 2014 remaster. I would really like a U.S. Living Eyes remastered CD, but I guess it will never happen...I think it was issued as a digital download only in 2016 , but no CD version of course.

Jrr likes this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I’m running the Beatles version through my head and you know, I bet you’re absolutely right. That song is perfect for their harmonies! I wish I remembered it. Well, I’m not buying the album for it but if I already have it, that’s another one I need to listen to. I was at a client’s house working on something and wouldn’t you know it, he had that album on vinyl and let me play it while I worked. I figured after all the time that has gone by, surely I would enjoy aspects of it now! One would think so. I think what was good about it was that it inspired me to light a fire under my butt and finish the job as fast as I could and get the heck out of there! No, some things just don’t improve with age. But I still love those guys. And in all seriousness, as you guys have said it isn’t all terrible. I’m sure we are all thinking of Steve Martin’s brilliant, classic take on Maxwell’s Silver Hammer when you read my words! My gosh, what WERE they thinking!? I guess that’s what being rich beyond your dreams, and having two huge film successes in a row, will do to your judgement.

I hear that Moment By Moment movie that Stigwood also put out with John Travolta was really awful as well. I was one of the three idiots that actually spent money on the soundtrack...hey, it was an RSO Records soundtrack...it had to be good, right? I would have to give it some thought if asked which of those two soundtracks was worse...man that was bad! Did anyone see the film?

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That Mythology package is beautiful, and I’m not even a cd guy, but kudos to them for showing some respect to the Gibb family and putting out a nice set. One of the very few cds I still play. And I agree, Andy’s stuff sounds nice. I’m actually surprised that you are surprised the Living Eyes cd sounds worse on the newest version. I rarely buy cds, only vinyl, but from what I read around here cds seem to be getting worse and more brickwalled, not better. The original on vinyl sounds good, and really think we are going to see some kind of good sounding vinyl set coming our way.

Futurecity likes this.
  25. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Yep, Andy's Mythology disc is really great...I wanted his Mythology disc because of the modern Rhino remastering and the extra songs...I didn't want to take a chance on the recently released Andy Gibb Capitol comp, plus it's missing a couple of songs that are on Mythology.

As for Living Eyes, believe me, when it comes to Japan mastering, I am never surprised if a Japan CD I have bought sounds bad...unfortunately, it happens far too often. I stupidly sold my 1993 Japan Living Eyes CD a long time ago, which sounded quite nice and normal actually, thinking I would just buy a superior sounding remaster one day, so I bought the 2014 Japan CD hoping it would be the best one yet, but nope...it's a mess audio-wise and there's no way a U.S. remaster would ever sound like that.

And yes, many recent CD releases are still getting brickwalled, like the Buckingham/McVie CD...it's a total ear-bleeder and ruined my enjoyment of that album, but I heard that the vinyl LP doesn't suffer from this and sounds quite nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.