Bee Gees' "Timeless: The All-Time Greatest Hits" to be released April 21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbone828, Apr 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Always my thought when I see threads about my favorite band. Realistically, their catalogue is simply not going to sell. I think the labels know that. Had the Rhino vinyl set sold well, we would have seen more. How I wish they would have done one of those from the 70's; I really feel it would have sold far better. However, you see some of the really bad, garbage reissues coming out (geez...Ghostbusters II soundtrack...really?) and you would think the Bee Gees could sell the 3000 units the labels like to see on vinyl.

2. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

If this isn't a brickwalled release I'd actually be interested in picking it up, but I haven't seen anything on the DR database or on this site yet. The track listing pretty much covers it for me. Otherwise, I might search out the old 2 disc Greatest Hits.

3. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Dudes in tight jeans and ball caps who appeal to female consumers with hip hop rhythms, 80s rock guitar solos and lyrics that contain at least one 'classic' rock or hip hop act reference, along with the usual 'my small town girl in Daisy Dukes is grinding against the tailgate as we chug beer on them dirt roads' thing.

hi_watt, Grant, JDeanB and 1 other person like this.
  4. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

Does anyone know anything regarding the difference in speed on "Nights On Broadway" on the Brothers Gibb box vs the other various comps? The track on the Brothers Gibb box runs noticeably faster. I'm wondering if it was sped up for the 45.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That sounds putrid!

6. Dirk the Nightfly

Dirk the Nightfly Forum Resident

Guess I’m just about the only one here who really likes TIMELESS (and yes, I’ve got TALES FROM… and THE RECORD, too). The sound is surprisingly full and warm, there’s surely enough bass – on my system this is true even for the selections from the 60s – and enough midrange (well, as much as you can hope for for a group who seldom used middle frequencies when they were singing :)). The song selection is very predictable of course, but also almost faultless (to present deep cuts was not the aim of this short but IMHO strong compilation).

7. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Anybody know why Spicks and Specks would appear to be from a rather noisy needledrop on this release? Mono single mix master tape MIA?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

The tracks all seem to be the stereo album versions apart from Fanny which appears to be an edit at 4:05 although not the single edit anybody throw any light on that one?

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I think the master tape is long gone.

The single was an early fade of the album version. I don't know what's going on here, but the U.S. 45 clocks in at 3:26.

10. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

I have The Record Comp and i would buy this.

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, it's possible they remastered it and that's why you are enjoying it. It might be tempting to me if it comes out on vinyl, which I would be shocked if it didn't. I'm sure it would sell relatively well since nothing like this has come out since the big vinyl revival. Geez, I have all those songs already so many ways backwards and forwards though, and I did get a Japanese pressing of Greatest from 1979 that sounds simply stunning as they clearly had the masters. So, I just don't think they will improve on it but I will probably impulsively pick it up. Have you compared Timeless to any others from the 2000's?

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'd be more interested in this on vinyl than CD.

Darryl

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  13. Jupitermadcat

I don't think it's been released on vinyl.

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I think it's a sure bet it will be. They don't have any compilations currently on vinyl so it would be foolish not to offer it, especially with the holidays coming.

15. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Not sure how hot the Bee Gees currently are and how many people would run out and buy the vinyl

16. Jupitermadcat

I listened to Odessa last night. It was ok i wouldn't get any kind of expanded edition of it. is there a good single disk version around?

17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I haven't seen a vinyl Bees Gees comp in ages. Thought the might have done one for 'Ultimate'

Darryl

18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, they are far from hot, I'll give you that! But when you look at the titles being reissued (Ghostbusters II sndtrk & MECO, two albums that didn't even sell when new, and literally hundreds of other very strange titles that like the other two, were poor sellers when initially issued in the 70's and 80's, nothing would surprise me at this point. I can only assume Barry is the one holding these back from vinyl releases, though I couldn't even speculate why. If that other stuff is being reissued, certainly the key albums from Bee Gees would sell better than those, and a comp seems like a no brainer.

19. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I adore the Bee Gees, and buy most of their releases as they come out. However, unless their new comps have new material/info, I've started to ignore them. :shrug:

I'd much rather them to continue the re-issues they started a few years back, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I'm just thrilled they are finally releasing another concert on dvd/blu-ray.

Hep Alien, Jrr and Lewisboogie like this.
  20. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

There does just have that "feel" that Barry is the one resisting.
    I could speculate but I suppose would be pointless to do so but at this stage I don't think there is any chance of a reissue program much less any unreleased material being offered.

Hadean75 likes this.
  21. Hadean75

That's the same impression I get. I noticed that after Robin passed, the reissues (outside of compilations) stopped altogether.

I agree that speculating at this point would be pointless because no one outside of Barry (and Robin and Maurice's estates) really knows what's going on--and that's how it should be. :shrug:

So for now, I'm just going to have to be content with the One for All concert dvd/blu-ray coming out next month lol :agree:.

(Doesn't stop me from wishing for a To Whom It May Concern reissue with bonus tracks though :angel: :laugh: :uhhuh:)

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Huh? I didn't hear about the One for All concert FINALLY coming out officially on blu-ray! I don't know how that's going to really look, but it will no doubt sound excellent. That domestic version was one of the very first DVD's to even be released, period, and it's dismal as you must know. However, I got what turned out to be a bootleg on eBay and it's excellent quality, though not blu-ray. A casual buyer would never know it is a boot. I don't know how they pulled it off. They reprocessed the audio and it's Dolby 5.1, and I don't see any generational issues with the video. I highly suspect they obtained the original film and audio tracks, but who knows how. Still, and official blu-ray is going to be quite an event for those of us that are rabid fans. And if they actually promote it a bit, it should sell. It's my all time favorite concert on dvd, and I was actually there so it means even more!

JeffMo and Hadean75 like this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Ordered! Thanks for putting the word out.

Hadean75 likes this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I think we're going to have to wait for Barry to pass on, and then I suspect his kids will get this stuff out. So, that said, I hope it's a long, long time. He seems very healthy so that's good! Robin was apparently the one who championed getting catalog out there. Barry, and I'm completely speculating, could be one of those that likes to leave the past in the past, and to just move forward. Lot's of people like that. FYI: Direct Disk is blowing out Barry's album on vinyl if there is actually anyone here that doesn't have it, and I can't imagine there is, but just in case. I think it's like $15 and I can tell you the sound is excellent. It's two discs.

greelywinger and Hadean75 like this.
  25. Hadean75

I actually found out from Bee Gees "One For All Tour" Blu-Ray - Coming Feburary 2 2018 .

I was absolutely thrilled to see the news! :uhhuh: :pineapple:

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.