Beeker Street?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluzeboy, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluzeboy

bluzeboy New Member Thread Starter

When I was just starting to listen to music, late at night I could get this station from little rock, ark I’m from Iowa & the music they played greatly Influenced me.
    Can anyone tell me about this station or did anyone listen?

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Yeah - I can tell you all about it. The show was on weeknights from 11:00 PM - 2:00 AM on KAAY 1090 AM. At the time, this was a clear channel AM station. No - it wasn't owned by Clear Channel. It was a clear channel AM station which meant no other stations in the US broadcast on this frequency at night. As a result, the "skip" was amazing and the station could be heard literally all over the world. The Beaker Street Show was heard in Canada, South America, and even in Viet Nam.

Clyde Clifford was the show's host. Whenever he opened the mike, there was always some spacy music playing in the background. This was to mask the sounds of the transmitter and fans since he did the show from a studio at the station's transmitter.

There were two music tracks used for the background - The Dream Sequence from the movie soundtrack for Arabesque was the original music. In the early 70s, the music changed to a 17 minute track called Cannibis Sativa by a group called Head.

Beaker Street is still on the air with the original host on Sunday nights 7 - midnight CST on Miagic 105 FM from Little Rock Arkansas. The station also broadcasts via the web, so you can check it out.

The Beaker Street website is http://www.beakerstreet.com The site is maintained by Clyde and he takes requests via e-mail. There is also a link for the live stream of the show.

If you have more questions, let me know.

3. bluzeboy

bluzeboy New Member Thread Starter

thanks rockclassics!

4. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I remember this show as a kid. Thanks for the link!

5. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Growing up in NW Arkansas in the '60s and '70s, Beaker St. was required listening. What a great musical education. Thanks for the nice blast from the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.