Been bamboozled er..sniped on eBay

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Chris R, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Why bid higher than you want to pay? Why not bid as much as you want to pay (and then place your bid near the end of the auction)? Or is that amount with the 20% markup the amount you really want to pay?
    :confused:

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Hmm . . . good question. I usually ask myself at what price I would walk away if I saw the item in a used CD store. I guess that I add 20% only because I don't like regretting it when the selling price is $1 more than I wanted to pay. You're right though , maybe that is my real max.

I can never wait until the end of an auction. I always forget, especially since auctions typically end during the morning, Tokyo time, when I am actually working.

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

That's why I started using a sniping program. Even though I save things in my eBay, I forget when auctions are ending most of the time. It's not some sinister plot to "bamboozle" anyone. Try it and see.

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:righton: Saves setting your alarm for an auction ending when you are trying to get some "shut-eye".

5. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

who cares ?

bid your max bid, if you lose it will turn up again. this is ebay after all, another will come along.

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I agree. The last time I decided that I absolutely had to have an item (partly because in 20 years of buying CD's in Japan, I had never even seen the item before), I stayed up to monitor the auction and won -- but it cost me over $400.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with sniping, though.

7. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I am not a fast enough typer and my connection is slow so I do it 20 seconds before. Won a lot of discs at very very cheap prices.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

All the more reason to use a sniper service, I'd say :)

9. bba1973

bba1973 New Member

How safe are they? I really wouldn't trust other people with my ebay ID and password.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've used this auction sniper service for ages and never had any problems.

11. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

as a matter of fact I have wound up getting stuff for dirt cheap compared to what i would have paid. it pays off to have patience.

12. bba1973

bba1973 New Member

All those logos at the bottom make it look safe. I guess between those and your lack of issues, it must be safe.

13. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Yes, yes - I know. :D

Helps to be physic, like me.

14. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I watch much more than I bid. Know your going prices, and the keywords (significant search terms) that the sellers are using to get those prices.

Then bid on the auctions that are badly identified :D

I'm far too lazy to watch auctions, for the most part. A sniping service means I don't miss any item even if I'm at work. Or asleep. It's of little use if you're looking (say) for anything cheap to make a few bucks on; for that you really have to be online trolling the sections continuously as I did a couple of years ago for records and electronics. There's some really good BIN deals pop up and it's definitely shoot first or be sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.