Before There Was Videotape...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RetroSmith, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Before there was videotape, the only way to preserve TV broadcast was to make a "kinescope". Basically, all that meant was that a 16mm Film Camera was aimed at a TV set, and the audio from the TV was fed into the camera as well. The quality of this varied from decent to unwatchable. It depended mostly on the CRT in the TV.

Enter the Dumont Network Engineers.

They came up with the incredible gizmo called "The Electronicam".

Basically, this monster fit over a Dumont Video Camera lens. The big Black top with the hinges was called a "Blimp" and inside the Blimp was a 16mm or 35mm camera (most of the units made were 16mm).

The camera op received his instructions from the booth and turned the camera as directed to the live action. The "Monster" saw everything directly, recorded everything it saw onto the 16mm film, and then passed the image onto the Tv camera for transmission to the booth, where it, and the other cameras were mixed, and sent to the main transmitter. THIS feed was recorded by another electronicam, this being called the "over the air" feed.

Later. all the Electronicams (usually three to shoot a normal show) were opened, the film removed, and processed. These were then watched together, and compared to the "over the air" film from the "Over The Air" Electronicam. The three Electronicam film reels were then edited to match the Over the Air one exactly. The result? A pristine 16 or 35 mm Film reel of exactly what had gone out over the air!!!! In perfect film quality!!!

Probably the most famous show done this way was "The Honeymooners"

Shortly afterward the invention of the Electronicam, two things happened. One, Ampex invented videotape. Two, The Dumont Network folded. This made the career of THe Electronicam very short!!!

Heard of The Honeymooners "Lost Episodes"? Those are made from the "Over The Air" Electronicam film that was aimed at a TV set receiving the broadcast DIRECTLY from the master console. The "3 films" are long gone now. But its great that the "Over the Air" ones survived. Its the only record we have of the lost episodes one of the most famous shows ever made.

And there you have it, Mikeys History of The Electronicam !!!!!

Attached Files:

Plan9, bluemooze and chilinvilin like this.
  2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks Mikey! It goes to show how ingenious these TV pioneers were.

3. RetroSmith

I forget to add that there are, incredibly, some COLOR kinescopes made off the RCA CT-100 experimental color sets of 1954. Those must be amazing to see.......the first color TV broadcasts ever!!

McLover likes this.
  4. xios

xios Senior Member

Mikey, is this different than the short lived "Electrononvision" used in 1964 for such things as the TAMI show, some Twilight Zone episodes, one of the Harlow movies, and I think Burton's Hamlet? Sounds like the same thing to me.

5. RetroSmith

Yes, it was different. The Electronvison system was videotape based, if I am not mistaken.

6. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Fascinating!

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks Mikey! Wonderful:) Isn't it amazing how far we've progressed!?! I used to dream of owning a video recorder when I was a young lad!

8. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting that!!!

9. RetroSmith

I'm glad you guys dig it....personally, I found this amazing...talk about American ingenuity!!!!

10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I've been away for a couple of weeks, and today skimming over old posts I'm thrilled that I read this one!
    Been a TV tech geek for years, even worked at a PBS affiliate some years ago, and I've never heard about the "Electronicam" until now.
    Thanks Mikey! Keep 'em coming.
    :)

Dan C

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Mikey! I knew of the Electronicam from The Honeymooners, but didn't realize these were combination film/live video cameras. Nice picture too.

12. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

And I might add to this discussion that it took me quite some time to figure out how to do it effectively, but I've developed a process called LUSTRE, which essentially "re-videos" kinescope transfers, to restore the "live broadcast" look to them.

I just can't tell you how it improves the appearance of classic rock performances from shows like "Hullaballoo", "Shindig" and "Where the Action Is"... :)

-Kevin

13. RetroSmith

Joel!!! Tell me more!!! I'm "Mr Kinescope"!!!!

14. Joel Cairo

Hmmm... and I thought since I started kinescopes.com that they'd call **me** "Mr. Kinescope"...

Ah well-- I'll have to settle for "Dr. Video", I suppose... :)

Well, the LUSTRE process is based on an idea that I first had in high school (back in the 70s, for you historians), but it's only been recently that computer technology has caught up enough to allow me to try it out.

My first efforts in 2001/2002 were very promising, but recently I've been able to tweak the process even more, and now I can say that in many cases, a good clean black & white "kine" film can be made to reasonably resemble its orginal look, with the "live feel" and fluidity of motion that you'd expect from the original videotape or live broadcast. Any imperfections that arise from the processing generally just look like video glitches, which you'd expect in tapes of that vintage, anyway.

The process isn't perfect, though I wish it were... one of the biggest challenges, I've found is to have folks provide clean transfers in the first place, since dirt, dust and emulsion flaws do leave their mark (though the effect is minimized, somewhat) in the final output. I've also noticed that LUSTRE tends to be more effective on shows that were black and white to begin with, because most kines of color programs tend to be on the murky side. CBS kines of color programs from the later 60s are particularly notable for this.

It honestly thrills me to know that there's no longer any need for classic TV to have that "old-movie" look that puts off a lot of potential viewers. And that alone makes up for the enormous time and effort I've put into developing the LUSTRE process.

I may never win an Emmy for this (and it would probably be one of those boring technical Emmys, if I did!), but overall, I'm exceedingly pleased... and I'm a pretty fussy guy!! :D

-Kevin

15. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Attached Files:

• cam.jpg
      cam.jpg
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
  16. RetroSmith

17. Joel Cairo

18. RetroSmith

Check THIs out:

Heres a really cool Engineers diagram of how the Electronicams were hooked up. Enjoy!!

Attached Files:

19. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Hi Kevin,

Is this a similar thing...

http://www.restoration-team.co.uk/

Those Doctor Who boys have used a process called Vidfire which makes everything smoother.

There is an example in one of the Doctor Who DVD's. And it does restore the studio video look to old 16mm film stock.

Best wishes,

Nobby.

20. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Mikey,

Thanks for the thread. I remember some color kinescopes of Fred Astaire in the 50's that were 'discovered' about a decade ago.

21. Joel Cairo

Nobby:

'Tis indeed... Peter Finklestone and I traded a few messages about our respective processes... we apparently were each independently experimenting at the same time with the implementation of this idea. As it happens, though, we're each on a different half of the world, and work with different video standards, so we stay out of one another's way!! :)

Fortunately for those folks in PAL-land (or Flicker-vison, as some NTSC engineers call it ;) ), the implementation is much easier, as their version of kinescopes are much less temporally destructive than ours, which makes the restoration of the video look much easier to obtain.

Peter and I, however, both noted a distinct lack of interest from paying customers "in the industry" about our respective processes, which we chalked up to the fact that a) we weren't going to do the conversions for free, and b) Neither VidFIRE nor LUSTRE is a real-time process.

With faster CPUs, though, the time needed to process the video transfers has dropped dramatically, even in the last year.

And I've seen his work on the Dr. Who transfers... it's **very** impressive!! (Thankfully, he has folks that will repair and clean their films before he works on them) So those of you that are Who fans really owe it to yourselves to sample the stories that utilize the process!!

And I should also note that one of our upcoming DVDs will feature a 1960 episode of "I've Got a Secret" that's been LUSTRE'd, so those of you who have always wanted to see some classic Goodson-Todman shows in something approximating their original broadcast format will soon get your chance!

[End of shameless plug...]

-Kevin

22. RetroSmith

I didnt know about the Astaire color kinnies!!

The ones I know about were made by the CBS engineers in 1954.

23. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Hi Kevin,

Good luck... I'm always fascinated by this kind of stuff.

People's enthusiasm on this board is amazing. I'm sometimes tempted to get DVD's etc., just to see what all the fuss is about.

Nobby.

24. RetroSmith

Hey Kevin.

I am a big "Hullaballo" "Shindig" "Shivaree" etc. fan. Have you used the process on any of this material, most notable the three Hullaballo DVDs?

25. Joel Cairo

Mikey:

I've done excerpts from the "Hullaballoo" DVD for myself, and it's pretty good, I must say... when I get some free time, however, I'll pick up a copy of the LD, to pull a signal that's uncompressed analogue and see which I prefer.

-Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.