Beginner Turntable Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BrianovichIV, Apr 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianovichIV

BrianovichIV Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all.

I'm looking at buy a beginner's turntable for use with headphones. I have Sennheiser HD598s and I plan on getting a Schitt Magni 2 to use with them (my budget's around $100 for this part).

For the turntables, I like the ProJect line, but I think it would be best for me to get an automatic turntable with a dustcover. Right now I'm leaning toward the Denon DP-300f. Amazon is selling it for $198 so it fits my budget.

For the turntable, I don't want to spend more than $250. I would like one with a passable cartridge for now, with the intention to upgrade it in a year or so once I've gotten used to the turntable.

Do you wonderful folks have any other suggestions for a turntable, or a good headphone amp in my budget that would work well with the 598s?

2. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Technics SL-BD20/22. You can get them oneBayy for like $30-50. I got mine for $15 on craigslist, slipmat and cartridge was not included Don't waste your $$$ on a new turntable that will be slightly better at best. Invest your money into a good universal Audio-Technica cartridge

Ric-Tic likes this.
  3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Try to find a stereo store that also sells used, traded in equipment. They could have some nicely discounted tables, would be able to set it up properly for you (no shipping damage) and if there is a problem you might be able to get them to look it over for you. In addition they should have a matching cartridge, adjust the arm and all those good things.

I appreciate "budget" equipment but in my experience I seem to always regret purchasing something too "budget minded" with pieces of equipment. Say I spent $300.00 on a complete TT, enjoyed it for a few months and then heard a $800.00 table. Ooooh, that's so much better. Trade in the $300.00 table and get $100.00 for it and chip in $700.00 to get the $800.00 table. A net loss of $200.00. :sigh:

But maybe that only happens to me. :D

Enjoy whatever you end up with! :)

4. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Fluance RT81, $250 Amazon. Comes with the AT95e cartridge. Great deal. The U-Turn Orbit starts at $179, direct from U-Turn. Better deal IMO.

AidanB and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'd also avoid anything in that price range. It's pretty much garbage below $300 or so. The two most recommended tables, and for good reason, by audiophiles and those otherwise in the know are the Rega Planar 1 and the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (the Music Hall mmf-2.1 is the same basic table). These are about $500. As Gary suggests, you might be able to find a nice trade-in model for less at a local shop. Avoid shipping, ePlay, and drama.
    - Bill

nibor and The Pinhead like this.
  6. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I've never read a bad review of this one:
    Orbit Basic Turntable

more here:
    Turntables

Then get a good cart (replace the conical that it comes with!) and you're done...for now... (ominous music playing in backround)

forthlin and Dennis0675 like this.
  7. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Garbage below $300 or so? Ridiculous, non-credible statement from a retail dealer. There are plenty of very happy consumers with turntables in that price range, likely literally thousands of happy users for machines like the ATLP120 for every one user of more expensive players.

DLD and johnnybrum like this.
  8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

There are happy users of penicillin also.
    - Bill

Jim13, Slick Willie and Benzion like this.
  9. Audio Technica AT-LP60 is a pretty good turntable for under $100. I have one and really like it.

10. revolversoul

revolversoul Forum Resident

I just purchased a U Turn Orbit today since I have been reading a lot of good reviews on it, and partly because of the praise H8SLKC has been giving it in this and other threads. Their customer service does seem pretty good, as I requested a change to my order, and one of the owners emailed me about my change. That is an added benefit in getting a quick response from the company.

forthlin likes this.
  11. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

I think the Pro-Ject Carbon is $399, and comes with a very-nice-for-entry-level Ortofon Red cartridge.

Would probably be the one the OP could 'stretch' into if he wanted a small taste of the high life.

12. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I believe I would go with a nice red or black U-Turn Orbit turntable as well, don't do the Debut Carbon as the darn things have 120 Hz hum, and YOU CAN'T get rid of the hum/buzz! So try this one.

The U-Turn Orbit Basic: An upgrade-ready turntable with audiophile aspirations

forthlin and Helom like this.
  13. Litejazz53

You will find this real interesting!

14. Cyclone Ranger

Yikes. The Rega Planar 1 is now looking better and better for being THE 'entry-level audiophile' deck.

Why did so many Pro-Ject Carbon reviews not mention the hum problem? Nothing but raves that I've ever read. :confused:

Ah well. It's a good reminder that reviews are essentially worth jack and sh**, and jack just left town.

I guess that hasn't changed in the 25 years since I've been away from the scene.

15. Helom

Helom Forum member

I have a lightly used Schiit Magni 2 for sale. PM me if interested.

As for the turntable, are you wanting one because someone told you analog is better than digital, or because you have some records and simply want to play them? If the former, I would forego this endeavor unless you have a good $1500 or more to spend on your analog setup. If the latter, get a U-turn Orbit: decent quality decks made in the USA by people who really are trying to produce the best affordable turntable. It also seems their manufacturing and QC has matured and they've worked out the bugs. I think if you were to see these decks in person, the Orbit would be the obvious choice.

16. Litejazz53

You are soooooo correct, these folks jumping into turntables really have no idea what they are getting into, with the table, sometimes the dust cover if not included, all the record cleaning stuff, the cartridge that can kill you, the phono stage, oh my, stylus cleaning stuff, platforms, vibration control feet, lest I forget all the really dirty record cleaning machines, it just goes on and on. :sweating:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  17. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Good advice above by Litejazz53 it can get away from you... however i do agree that if you are going to try vinyl and are remotely interested in analouge you absolutely should NOT get an ATLP60 or LP120 or that Denon nor should you go an automatic return table. At the very least a used Rega RP1, Pro-Ject debut carbon or an older P2 if its in good condition, stretch the budget to $300ish and you could probs get a 90s P3 which would trump them all and would also be able to take a better set of headphones (HD 650 - HD700 level) and it could also accept up to an Ortofon Bronze/Rega Exact/Dynavector 10x5 cart and mostly use it to its potential, the other tables i mentioned would not be able to do that in stock form.

As for a cart you could get away with an Ortofon OM10 or AT95e on the debut carbon but the 2m red would be better. If you were to get any of the mentioned Rega tables i would stick with Rega carts at first because of the extra expense involved with adjusting the VTA with non Rega carts, also you can install the Rega cart yourself even if you have no experience in doing so.

If you got an RP1 i wouldnt go above either the Rega Carbon or Bias 2, of course preference to the bias 2. If you got a 90s P2 or P3 then spend the extra for the bias 2.

If i were you i would really try hard to edge the budget up to an 80s or 90s P3 with RB300 arm with the old super elys cart on it. Im in Australia so the prices here are more expensive but over here 90s P3 with super elys in mint condition for its age is $450 - $550, if you are in the states i would imagine you could get that done for $350 - $450. With no cart around $300 at the cheaper end, then add a new bias 2 for about $100. A P2 by itself is getable for $200 at the cheapest add a new bias 2 ($112 in aus right now) and its $300 which is about what you will pay used for an RP1 with a rega carbon cart and the P2/Bias 2 will smoke the RP1/Carbon and will also be marginally better than the debut carbon/om10.

Last i wouldnt buy a dedicated headphone amp with your budget because you need a phono amp too, i would get an integrated with a phono in and a headphone out. My vote here goes to any of the rotels here mainly because of their awesome price to performance ratio. A rotel RA02 would be perfect here and cost $150ish used, go for an older rotel RA931 you might even get it for less than $100 probs $80 and it has the advantage of being able to drive a good set of 90db sensitivity speakers to around 80db before it starts running out of gas.

Rega P3/super elys or bias 2 with Rotel ra931 - doable for $500 but more likely $600
    Rega P2/bias 2 and rotel ra931 - doable for $400
    Debut Carbon/om10 and rotel ra931 - $500 maybe a little more (TT brand new but ot as good as used rega p3 combo)

Good luck with the search.

18. Litejazz53

Nice work, very good detail!

19. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

The worst problem with many of these "pretty nice, albeit maybe not 'audiophile' " tables that are made in Taiwan (is that correct?) is that they sometimes develop speed issues. Tables like the Denon, Pioneer PL30, Teac TN-300, Fluance RT 80 and 81 and probably the new Audio-Technica budget belt drive table. The problem may never occur, but if it does, it ain't fun.

The Audio-Technica AT-LP120 doesn't seem to have that problem and is available at $249. But some don't care for it's sonic colorations.

Here's kind of an obscure animal, a model that never really took off at its msrp. The Flexson Vinyl Play was made as a Sonos companion, featuring an integrated phono preamp, which IIRC is non-defeatable. It was made by a "reputable British manufacturer" that would likely be spelled R-E-G-A. It looks like an RP1 with preamp. An Amazon seller is selling it for $239. An upgrade to the AT stylus from lpgear would probably be a good thing. It seems well suited to a headphone or powered speaker setup.

Amazon.com: FLEXSON VinylPlay Digital Turntable (Black): Home Audio & Theater

H8SLKC likes this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The same reason that RP1 reviews don't mention wobbly subplatters that Rega considers "in spec", the fact that they run fast, have more rumble than they should and so on. People are blind to these flaws or don't know enough to look for them. Pro-Ject and Rega are "audiophile" brand names so that means the equipment must be good, right?

Litejazz53 and H8SLKC like this.
  21. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

The absolute lowest you should go is a used Pro-Ject Debut III with OM10 or Rega RP1 with Rega Carbon

My review of the ATLP120 below, i went through 3 of them under warranty to see if any were free of the below issues, they weren't.

Pros: Plug and play zero setup, cheap, cart is alright for the price (but only on an rp1)

Cons: Its plastic, its a DJ technics knockoff, direct drive so has increased motor rumble (i had 3 of these things they all have it and it is audible even when music is playing), it hums and you cant stop it, it has a ridiculously lightweight thin aluminium platter that sits on a painfully skinny spindle (no subplatter), platter had on all 3 occasions at least 2 - 3 mm wobble and is very unstable, shocking dead sounding onboard preamp which even when switched off still has the signal routed through it so not much improvement can be had by adding a better preamp, the tonearm lifter mech is woeful and drops the arm on an angle so you cant queue accurately and the tonearm just doesnt track well and gets bounced around through more complex sections. I cant comment on speed as i never measured it but i think it might be ok with speed being direct drive with quartz.

I would also pass on the felxon table above its just too much of a gimmick even if you cheap out and get a used RP1 or even a Project debut III which you can get used with a Rega Carbon or OM10 for your budget of $250 and find you want to digitize your vinyl then just get a rega fono mini a2d its $100 used in mint condition and its actually a good standalone budget stage and will be an upgrade to the built in stage on the rotel amp i mentioned in my previous post as well as being able to digitize. The flexon table mentioned above at the price its listed for will be a compromised rp1 with a simplified fono mini built in, you might as well spend $100 more and get the real deal that actually says Rega on it. Still with your budget despite what i just said about the Fono mini you should still get a small integrated with a phono in and a headphone out.

As mentioned i had an ATLP120 first i then moved to a Pro-Ject Debut III with OM10 definite improvement. Tighter faster bass that dug a little deeper, stronger more forward open mid range, it was brighter but not in a worse way treble had a slight edge to it which i actually liked as the ATLP120 is just flat. Briefly had a Debut Carbon 2m red and you could definitely get this and be happy its essentially the same as the Debut III but more refined brings out a bit more detail with a little stronger bass and it could take a 2m bronze and get about 80% out of it. I didnt keep it because i could feel i was still missing something.

I strongly recommend saving more and getting a nice used 90s P3 with a super elys. Great in stock form, highly upgradable both in aftermarket parts and its ability to accept better carts, amps, headphones and speakers up to a value of around $800 per component. Plus down the track you add a fono mini a2d then you can digitize and have a better phono stage over the integrated.

22. Cyclone Ranger

I hear ya. And it does seem like many reviewers are not doing their basic 'due diligence' in protecting the consumer. Which then brings up the point of, "Why are we visiting your sites and reading your reviews and buying your magazines, again?" :wtf:

I also suspect advertising dollars may play a role here as well... color me cynical.

timind and patient_ot like this.
  23. BrianovichIV

Wow, lots of stuff to respond to. Awesome...here goes..

Right now I'm leaning toward picking up a vintage TT either online, in a store, or in thrift. I've been looking at one of these exact models on eBay...local pickup and not far. This might push me toward getting it. I figure I'd then get an Ortofon Red or something similar for it, and a good preamp to add to the Schitt Magni 2, if I get it.

If I get a brand new one, this is leading the pack (Fluance). Not sure about the Orbit. I've heard some negative things about the belt being around the platter.

It doesn't seem that I can PM you, but I'm interested. Can you PM me? Or contact me in some other way?

I want to add a turntable because I have some records and I want to play them. I'm interested in hearing older masterings/pressings of my favorite albums that are no longer available. I have a growing collection of original U2 pressings and promotional releases that I want to listen to and enjoy. I also have spent some time listening to my dad's vinyl set up and I enjoy the experience. I don't think it's "better," but it's different in a good way. My listening experience has changed a lot recently. For casual around-the-house I've been using Spotify, but I also have an iBasso DX50 for a small collection of High-Resolution albums and CD-quality FLACS. And really, I enjoyed the ritual.

What about getting a receiver? Amazon has a highly-regarded Onkyo for $140 ($110 on a warehouse deal) that has headphone out and phono-in. It would also give me the flexibility to add more inputs in the future, like a computer, a Chromecast Audio, or a line-in from my iBasso. I could even add speakers when I have the physical space for them. But I REALLY like headphone listening, so I figure a dedicated amp would be a better experience for me. But I'm not sure, which is why I'm here :)

Helom likes this.
  24. timind

timind phorum rezident

Don't know where the OP's located, but Craigslist would be my suggestion. Here in Indy, along with individual sellers, there are a few vintage equipment seller listing on CL after ensuring their turntables are ready to go.

Note to OP: list your location. It makes advice easier to tailor advice.

H8SLKC likes this.
  25. BrianovichIV

Done. I'm in Doylestown PA, a little north of Philly. I've been checking CL, but the options are more expensive that I thought. Any TT I've found under $100 has seemed to be poorly-regarded in this and other forums. I'm also checking out goodwill auctions online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.