Benny Andersson (ABBA keyboardist) will release a new CD called Piano on Sept. 29

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

2. BradOlson

I will bump this thread.

MikaelaArsenault, reapers and c-eling like this.
  3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Well this sounds like a dull project...

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

MikaelaArsenault and reapers like this.
  5. BradOlson

Classical piano versions of ABBA, Chess, etc. songs. He was always a classical music fan.

MikaelaArsenault and reapers like this.
  6. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

I just listened to all the samples and they sound great. They sound like more than simple transcriptions for piano.

I really admire Benny's solo work and the Benny Andersson Orchestra CDs. In everything he does, it sounds like he's having great fun.

This is an auto buy for me.

7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I thought he went through a folk accordian period not so long ago?

8. I'd love for Benny to dust off his old Yamaha GX-1... From what I've seen, it's still a major attraction of his studio, though I suspect he avoids using it too much because of how closely associated with the later period ABBA sound this is.

MikaelaArsenault and Shak Cohen like this.
  9. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

If I was in a restaurant and these came on I wouldn't given them a second thought. I know it's Benny but it just has that tribute CD taste to it. Maybe hearing the complete CD will be more compelling.

10. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I hope it gets decent distribution, it looks wonderful.

Benny Andersson – ‘Piano’ released 29 September

A piano version of I Gott Bevar (from Kristina Från Duvemåla) alone would be worth the price of the CD. Benny played a solo piano version of it in an Abba documentary years ago (The Winner Takes It All - The ABBA Story ??), and it was incredible.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

I was excited when I heard the rumours about a new Benny album. Being released on Deutsche Grammofon I was hoping for something more like "Klinga mina klockor". He is an accomplished composer and a great pianist, but most of the songs on the new album - well, I never thought I needed instrumental piano versions of ABBA songs. Will give it a listen, anyway.

12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Found a nice interview on YT. (yes he talks about ABBA).

Darryl

13. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I have listened to the entire CD of "Piano" and for ABBA fans and lovers of solo piano music, this is a pure delight.

14. ThmsFrd

ThmsFrd Forum Resident

Great record.

sathvyre and Yost like this.
  15. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

Nice versions. Finally "Tröstevisa" (Song of Solace) got the right treatment! "Midnattsdans" (Dance at Midnight) also sounds fab. Think I have to pick this one up. Anyone compared the CD to the vinyl yet?

16. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Fantastic album both musically & artistically, IMO. Great CD transfer, too (with all dynamics preserved & moderate noise-shaped dither used): the sound is excellent.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    sathvyre and Larsen like this.
  17. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Understatement of the year :) Benny is one of the greatest living (pop) songwriters. His peers are McCartney or Bacharach. I'm waiting for the Piano vinyl to be released.

Larsen, sathvyre, motownboy and 2 others like this.
  18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Piano is a joy to hear. Being a swede I must admit ABBA was not my thing back in the seventies but nowadays I sort of admire their music. Being a swede I also must admit that Benny Andersson has been a household name since 1965 when he started as a member in HepbStars the most popular swedish band at the time.
    Nowadays I look upon Benny as a true musical genius and when it comes to melodies one of the true greats-almost in the McCartney league.
    The new album showcases this melodic gift-with all the vocals and musical bells and whistles gone their is only the music. For the most part it really works wonders here. This is a beatiful musical experience from one of the all time great composers of popular music.

19. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I came to this project late and you can really tell that a great musician is playing the music. Although it isn't technically demanding, there's such taste in the arrangements and restraint in the performance. Sure, it's sentimental music but the sentiment isn't weighed down with syrupy performance. If it weren't for the fact that many of the pieces are so well known it would be fascinating to find someone who could hear this without knowing the originals.

Marble Index and reapers like this.
  20. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

I liked it. Was especially curious to hear The Day Before You Came. It translated well.
    Not something I will listen to every day, but it is beautiful music, played by a man who obviously enjoys making it!
    Might be relaxing enough to help me fall asleep..........

Marble Index and BeSteVenn like this.
  21. Gryphon21

Gryphon21 Well-Known Member

A wonderful album and a true genius at work. Simply sublime and beautiful.

Vandenville, BeSteVenn and John Adam like this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Got this today on vinyl and really enjoying it.
    Funny though, is You & I the same tune as the ABBA song? I don’t recognize it.
    The Day Before You Came works much better for me as a solo piano piece than what they did as a group.

23. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

“You & I” is from the musical “Chess”. The song you are referring to, which is indeed completely different, is “Me and I” which is from the Super Trouper album (1980).

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes indeed! I realized that later after I posted. I got to see Chess when I was in London in 1986.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.