Bent Knee - Being Human(video) Adventurous band from Boston

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DPM, Jun 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPM

DPM Senior Member Thread Starter

I just listened to this. Wow! Melodic and catchy yet adventurous.

ytserush and jay.dee like this.
  2. DPM

DPM Senior Member Thread Starter

Bump.

3. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Just saw these guys last night without being too familiar with their material, and I came away very impressed. That bass player is on point. I know it's hard to get traction for threads like this, but I strongly encourage people to check out their stuff.

4. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

Yes, I bought their album from a suggestion on this forum and I really like the way they create music by not so regular sounds.

5. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

This is an amazing band, both live and recorded. They just released their 4th album, Land Animal, that I highly recommend!

6. I've really liked their third and fourth albums. Second is good as well.he first showed potential but the songwriting wasn't there just yet. Still, a tremendous art rock band.

7. Unfortunately looks like their tour might not be finished. Their drummer skipped and feel down some stairs breaking his leg at the show I was at.

8. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Oh no! I saw them on the opening night of the tour and was blown away. Their latest album “Land Animal” is insanely good.

wayneklein likes this.
  9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

If you look at their Facebook page, you'll find that drummer Gavin actually played the next gig(!) in San Jose (with a little help from their friends). Seems the tour will continue.

The misstep down the short stage steps happened right in front of me. Ankle was badly dislocated. I hung around for awhile and tended to him. (I've sprained both my ankles playing sports, and know some immediate care). He was not shock-y, but in good spirits despite pain. I got to meet the band, everybody is really nice.

And the music is ambitious, tremendous. I'd only discovered them a few days before.

Get this one:
    Say So [HD 44.1k/24b], by Bent Knee

wayneklein likes this.
  10. Glad to hear it wasn't worse than we thought.

Oh how funny. My brother was the guy who phone 911. I was standing just behind him. Good to hear it wasn't broken (my brother who has broken his ankle thought it looked broken to him). I was disappointed by how small the crowd was for the band. Would have loved to see them playing to a larger crowd as they deserved it.

I wanted to pick up a shirt but the line was moving kind of slow.

I discovered them courtesy of my brother about a year and a half ago.

11. gd0

Not all that funny, as it turns 0ut. I took a peek at their social media, and Gavin will need surgery, out for several weeks. Broken fibula.

His ankle was all kindsa twisted and dislocated, I assure you.

They do have a Plan B apparently. Guess it shouldn't be surprising that they have a circle of friends who can play even their ambitious multi-layered music.

Yeah, the small crowd was disappointing. I exchanged friendly email with frontwoman Courtney, and suggested booking Outside Lands, or Hardly Strictly. I'm sure they'd impress.

I'd just found them a few days before the show myself.

12. No, I meant how funny that you were looking over him and my brother was the one that called 911. Just a small world.

Loved their guitar player. Dude can bounce on stage with the best of them and he's a solid player as well.

I wasn't all that impressed with the bands that opened for them. We were sitting at one of the tables in the back when the other two bands performed. Hardly ideal for the sound but I just wasn't all that impressed with the opening acts.

I'd love for them to break big or at least bigger. I know lots of fans don't want that for bands they follow but I think they deserve every dime they can get.

13. gd0

Might have to call 'em Bent Ankle for a while.

Once I'd 'get' the songs, I took some time to concentrate on each player. All five of them are top-notch; and they're playing some rather involved material. And that sixth guy apparently 'plays' the sonic presentation of the band, on the fly, on whatever that device is. Unique, and effective.

But don't take my word for it. If you go to that link I posted, you'll find a brief-but-gushing review from no less a musicologist than Bill Bruford(!)

I dunno, they were at least presentable participants for NoisePop week. They played their stuff rather well, but seem to lack a little material-wise. Which was immediately evident when BK hit the stage – they have Songs!

I kinda bite my lower lip at the prospect myself. But yeah, they gotta be heard. That music is just too good to just come and go. FWIW, the current album was released by a subsidiary of Sony. Hopefully that will give 'em a nice little kick upwards.

Check this unplugged piece:

DPM and Wounded Land like this.
  14. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I can’t stand them. The vocalist is just horrible. Reminds me of the awful vocal work of Ninet Tayeb. That kind of timbre is just irritating.

15. To each their own. I love her voice.

Lol yep. A temp name. I got some pretty good pictures but my brother was probably standing right next to you. He was planned right in front (well by the bar leaning against. He has a bad ankle ironic enough). He wanted to check out the technique as well. He played as a professional musician for a long while —heck still plays just between bands right now.

ytserush, sentinel90125 and gd0 like this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

They should do a cover album with West Side Story numbers.

Oh, come on, who wouldn't buy an album called Bent Knee & The Jets...!

ytserush likes this.
  17. gd0

[​IMG]

Dillydipper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.