Benz Micro cartridge help needed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Aug 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

For some weird reason ;) I find that it's time to purchase a new cartridge.

Lots of people here SEEM to like the B-M line. The contenders are:

Glider M2 .8 mV

Glider H2 2.5 mV

And the lower end:

MC Gold .4 mV

MC Silver 2.0 mV

I must say that my comfort level runs towards the Gold and Silver variations.

Now, the M2 at .8 and the Gold at .4 seem to be moving coil cartridges which need a "step up" transformer.

What kind of sound quality difference is there between the Glider M2 and H2? I presume it would be the same between the Gold and the Silver?

Whats a good "step up" transformer for under $200.00? Is there anything to avoid...?

Thanks! :)

Here is a link in case anyone is interested http://www.musicalsurroundings.com/cartr.html

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The general reason most low-output MCs have low output is because of fewer windings on the coil. This means less moving mass at the other end of the cantilever, hence the stylus should be able to react beter (better tracking, more accurate groove tracing) to the groove modulations. For output reasons I went from a wood-bodied L2 to an M2; can't say I noticed a dramatic (any?) difference, but I didn't A/B them side-by-side.

K&K Audio has a very nice step-up kit for about $200, and I think you're not afraid to solder! I find it very transparent, extended, and dynamic. Tonight I was listening to Classic's reissue of Louis Armstrong's "King Oliver," and it was downright spooky . No downsides that I hear.

I like the Benz line-up very much. They seem to be very balanced throughout the range, and don't tend to highlight one part of the frequency spectrum over another.

John K.

3. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

DAMN :realmad:. I'd written a longer post and IE hung up!

Anyway, briefly: there are a couple cartridges which have a good reputation amongst the people over at the Vinyl Asylum. Dynavector 10x4 and Denon DL-103.

You might want to ask over at the Asylum (http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html) or here, maybe those could be some further options to consider?

Best of luck, regards

Damián

4. audio

audio New Member

I am infinitely impressed with Benz Micro cartridges. I think they are fantastic. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that the BM are my favorite cartridges of all time. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, from what I've heard. I am currently using the MC120E, which is their entry level high output MC and I'm extremely happy with it.

5. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Gary, I use the B-M wood body M2 (.8mv) with a cj P15 phono stage (53dB of gain) and I love it. If the step up transformer has enough gain I would strongly recommend the M or gold versions. If you can afford it go with the Glider, it has gotten great reviews and has the same stylus tip as my M2. Along with very natural sound I think one of the strengths of B-M is they do a range of outputs for MC cartridges. If you are using a tube phono stage I think the M output is the best balance between low noise and delicacy.

6. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I read a review in Stereophile, and I still have the copy lying around and they preferred the less expensive Silver vs. the Gold. When factoring in the price they said the Silver was a 'no-brainer', my words. In that article they too compared it to the Sumiko BPS and were not forthcoming to which they preferred, a toss-up I guess, or matter of taste.
    The Silver should work fine with most MM phono stages, more money saved.
    If you really want to know what they said I could sift though the pile of Stereophile mags I have and let you know the issue/date.

I own a Benz Ruby2 and while it is just starting to break in, it is sounding very nice. It has a little more heft to it than my SFCD-1 CeeDee player (this could be the LP12/Ittok/Valhalla/Cirkus' signiture) and has a sweet and detailed sound...

As some believe, as I have come to agree, you must consider your tone arm too. Moving up to a LO Glider could pose a change in phono section as well as arm.

I'd go with the Silver not knowing the rest of your specifics.

7. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I have a Benz Glider medium output and am very happy with it. Good tracking, low noise and nice warm sound. I didn't need a step up at all with my Joule phono stage in the 62dB gain setting.

Jay

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I use the Stanton 680ELII which is a great HiFi cartridge but we at NorthernLightFX can also sell you the Shure cartridge Steve recommends. Just contact us by going to the NorthernLightFX link under site seeing and click Contact Us if you have any questions, otherwise browse away.

9. Tony Plachy

Terry, The Silver and Gold are the same price, it is just a voltage output difference. Check the web link that Gary gave. The most recent review in Stereophile of B-M stuff is 3/2002 page 35 MF reviewed the Glider2 (he liked it) and 7/2003 page 85 PB reviewed the L2 (I use the M2 with my VPI, again the L2 and M2 are the same except for output voltage) and he really liked it. I am glad you like your Ruby, I hope to step up to it soon.

10. Shakey

Shakey New Member

It was an old review, hence there may have been a price difference then.
    The review mentioned something about Benz having taken over the Empire Company and that one of these closely resembling an Empire in looks...

Yeah the Ruby2 is nice so far. I don't think I'd have one if I had to pay full price. I bought a guys re-built one that had just come back from Benz. Just in case anyone thinks I have too much $$$

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help, everyone! That's a lot to chew on!!!

I think it'll be a low output cartridge with a step up transformer. Thank you, John K (The Gage), for the clear explanation. :) The phono section of the MX110 tends to be a bit weak (as per the dealer). The K&K Audio looks very interesting, too!

I'm borrowing an Audiogom (sp?) phono pre tomorrow to test out on my old Ariston Audio RD11. This'll be interesting! He says it makes his Technics sound close to his VPI!!!

(The guy I am borrowing it from has a VPI which is waiting for a new motor, under warranty. He's been waiting for two months now. Poor guy.)

I am mating this new cartridge with a Oracle MKII turntable and a Wilson-Benesch ACT 2 tonearm.

Considering the state of my finances, it'll probably be the B-M Silver. :( But I am confident that it'll still sound amazing! :)

The other alternative is a rebuild of a Glider (I guess it's a rebuild because of the price).

Shakey, the dealer swears that the "Shelter 501" sounds four times better than the Ruby. So the next time you are considering a cartridge, try to give it a listen.... just a thought! I've not really compared it for myself...

One other thought: I may consider paying $200.00 more to upgrade the cantilever from aluminium to .... B~~~~ something. A good idea??

12. Tony Plachy

Gary, the word is beryllium, a much more suitable metal for a cantilever, so it is a good idea, but if you are going to go the extra $200 consider the glider again or look at the B-M web page again, the new Ace is right at your price point and a step up from the silver.

13. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Well I am not that familiar with that piece but I suppose I could keep it in mind when the time comes. But since I have less than 1/3 invested, relative to the MSRP, and a rebuild is about half of that, I may just stick with the Ruby2 for some time.
    When it comes to cartridge selection one still must consider the whole package, or the other variables when replacing, at least with my current set-up. I am using a Linn LP12, with an Ittok LVIII, blah blah blah there seems to be either a synergystic relationship or there is not when changing one of the variables.
    I/We get different opinions regarding what is best and how best to make improvements/upgrades.
    This is the most I have ever spent on a cartridge, even more than my prior Linn Axis/Akito/Sumiko F9E-Ruby combined, I don't know if I will ever consider spending more. I think the price of these things are a little nutty.
    But if I win the lottery.

14. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I have the Benz MC20II, one of the lower end Benz's, and it's very clean and 'transparent' sounding, tight bass, but it is the cart I listen to the least, probably because it becomes a bit aggressive in the upper midrange after a while (that moving coil sound). For all I know it ain't broken in yet (after over a year!)

You might also consider the Ortofon OM20 or OM30 moving magnet cartridges. Lots of output, you can change stylus, and The Absolute Sound raved about them a few months back, citing their flat response and accurate tonality. My OM30 gets a lot of time on my 'table's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.