Bergman's WILD STRAWBERRIES, restored, on YouTube..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Can't believe what is sitting right on YouTube sometimes. One of my favorite movies (in my top 5), Bergman's WILD STRAWBERRIES ( Smultronstället), restored with great subtitles. Beautiful print and if you leave it go at the end, THE SEVENTH SEAL starts automatically. Two of the greatest feats in International cinema. Back when I was in school you had to wait, sometimes for a year for a great foreign flick to come to a revival house. Now, it's right on your computer. Good times.

crispi, Damiano54, zobalob and 5 others like this.
  2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Criterion really did a nice job on these.

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

One of my favorite films.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

One of the great blessings growing up in SF in the sixties and seventies were all the great revival houses we had that would show these films on a rotating basis. A fantastic cinema education during high school and beyond.

wayneklein likes this.
  5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Hahah, I bet Criterion's thrilled about that.

6. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

So true, both wonderful films. I remember having to try to catch amazing films like these when they would show up at an Art-House Cinema for a short time then you'd would wish that you could see it again, only for it to be a memory until it was screened years later.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  7. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Thanks for posting this, I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, since watching on Friday I keep thinking about this movie...

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Try seeing it on the big screen sometime if you can. It's overwhelmingly beautiful.

GuildX700, zobalob and wcarroll like this.
  9. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

I would jump at the chance to see on the big screen, though not likely to happen in my area. But, I could definitely see the beauty shining through right on the screen of my laptop!

10. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Such a fine film.

11. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident

I just recently saw this. I think I've got the Criterion laserdisc stashed away somewhere.. I'm pretty sure I watched it though on Hulu Plus. They have a HUGE section devoted to Criterion films. Wild Strawberries was the first Bergman flick I'd ever watched and was intrigued and down the rabbit hole I went! I had always wanted to watch his films, being a huge fan of Woody Allen, I had to see for myself how directly he was influenced. I wished my wife would tolerate B&W and foreign films more.. She saw I was watching it and immediately announced she was going to bed.

Anyway, Wild Strawberries absolutely blew my mind. The cinematography, the dialogue and pacing.. It was nearly perfect.

Steve Hoffman and IronWaffle like this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

A movie I was completely unaware of. Fantastic idea for a movie. I would say way ahead of its time? My gf is swedish so I understand about half without having to watch the subtitles.

13. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I like quiet films. This a soulfully quiet movie. Most movies today are too noisy to think. I think this is why I like Woody Allen films so much, they are also quiet. I guess it is a Bergman influence.

Ghostworld likes this.
  14. Ronnie Lane

Ronnie Lane Member

One of my favorites, although I think I like "Ikiru" a touch more.

IronWaffle likes this.
  15. Great film, love the funeral sequence. A pity of this is the Criterion restoration dumped on YouTube.

16. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Yep. I just got La Dolce Vita on Blu-ray. Love it!

17. Got the Criterion blus. Very nice job indeed.

18. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Whose pity?

19. As do I. The Bergman Island extra on the 7th Seal blu is really great.

IronWaffle and Hutch like this.
  20. For criterion of course. I'd rather they make money on these release rather than see them out there like like some sort of public domain release.

IronWaffle likes this.
  21. Jose Jones

I'm sure they know how to get it removed from YouTube if they really wanted to. For example, somebody complained and now that great live clip of the Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd performing "Astronomy Domine" has vanished, to my dismay...

22. No doubt. I just see these type of things as another step in the direction that "I shouldn't have to pay for anything" that began with music and continues with movies...

23. Jose Jones

It's a by-product of these modern lifestyles that denounce possessions as mere "stuff" to be avoided and 'ownership' as an antiquated, patriarchal notion of supremacy. So if you don't want to 'own' it, there's no need to pay for just viewing it, man..... :)

24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

There are several 50% off Criterion blu-ray sales each year. Skip youtube and go for the real thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.