Berlin: any love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Sep 15, 2016.

1. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

I have Count Three And Play which I like and play quite often and I've also got the Dancing In Berlin Japan CD with 7 remixes.

2. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I was almost pathologically shy as a kid, but I did finally work up the nerve to ask Kathy Goldstein to dance, despite numerous threats from the school bully that he'd kick my *** if I did. Or maybe it was because of his threats that I asked her. In any event, "Take My Breath Away" was four minutes of heaven from that day on! Ah, the memories. (Last I heard, Kathy was selling cosmetics in LA, and I happen to know the guy who wanted to beat me up over her is still back in our hometown.)

bluemooze, Dudley Morris and pinkrudy like this.
  3. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

While I appreciate all the love for "Count Three..." to me it was such a radical departure in sound from the first two (which I still listen to several times a year), that I have never, to this day, listened to the whole thing. Has anyone picked up the remaster of "Love Life"? I wanted to give it a shot, but I've been burned by these niche record companies in the past (looking at you Gold Legion).

https://80swave.com/

4. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I have all 3 of their albums. They are my favourite 80's band. Not a bad album from the 3. Terri nun is so pretty and cool.
    It's a shame the leader(songwriter) got upset that take my breath away was their biggest hit and he didn't write it. He disliked playing it every concert and ultimately ended the band.

I've heard the new Berlin albums with Terii nun as the only original member and it's not the same.

Tokyo Ghost and bluemooze like this.
  5. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I got tossed out of the home after graduating HS and confronting my mom on the money she stole from me for college which went up her nose. My Da came down and picked me up on his way to Huntington Beach to visit his son in law from his new wife. They all took me in with kindness and set me up with some surfing gear, whilst out in the breakers I looked over and saw Dave Diamond with a Boogey Board. This was in late 86. I said "You're Dave Diamond" "I am" was the response. We nodded, finished our sets, nodded again.

I like Berlin, they had their own sound and are constantly listenable.

That same trip I was listening to Big Country's The Seer in the headphones when I saw the Air Mexico jet collide with a Piper or Cessna and plummet from the sky. Surreal memories.

Tokyo Ghost, Surly and SJP like this.
  6. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

right! dave diamond the keyboard player. He was great. rough upbringing. the opposite of you i had a great childhood and now i live in a world of **** (quoting full metal jacket) hehe

7. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

I never had any Berlin albums so I only knew them for their radio hits (most of which I liked, and maybe one or two that I didn't), but when I saw them in concert about ten years ago I heard them do a very cool song that I'd never heard before (and not a cover song of someone else's either). Well anyways, I remembered the main chorus and did a lyrics search when I got home, and this is the cool song -- an album track I guess, but it's as good as anything else I've heard by them on the radio.

8. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

The funny thing is that in late 1986, I might have been on the water with you...on a surfboard! Doubt I'd have recognized Dave Diamond, he probably wasn't wearing eyeliner while riding ;).

Fast forward to summer of 2017. Berlin played a Surfside 80's festival in Huntington Beach, the closing act. I told my bride that all I need to hear was The Metro, Masquerade, Sex, Take My Breath Away along with No More Words and I'd be good to go (...home, we ran a 5K that morning, was getting way tired by the time Berlin hit the stage). Seems to me they did 3 of my selections in the first 4 songs and I was out of there.

Havoc likes this.
  9. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

My favorite song of theirs, love the epic sounding synths at the end.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  10. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I grew up with the cold waters of Mavericks and Steamer's, Huntington was like surfing in a hot tub/wave pool. I saw them in 86, they were an outstanding live band. Rod was an amazing drummer and what can you say about Terri? She still hasn't responded to my many proposals of marriage I sent between 84-86. I wonder how things may have been if she wound up being Princess Leia instead of Carrie.

She still looks and sings amazing.

Surly likes this.
  11. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

The title track from Animal.

pinkrudy and bluemooze like this.
  12. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I happened to like Animal as much or more than some of their early albums. Love Life, for instance, while it has some great songs is pretty hit and miss to me. Animal is a fairly novel mix of EDM and "rock" with some consistently great melodies. For what it's worth, the album's direction also had the blessing and support of John Crawford, the band's former lead songwriter. It will be very interesting to hear what they come up with on their new album. Berlin's image has in many ways been about sexuality but Crawford is a Christian so there will be some compromise, I would think.

13. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

Big Berlin fan here! I bought their first album/extended EP on vinyl the same day as Demon Attack for the Atari 2600 and I played both of those things together, endlessly (Demon Attack was one of those blessed games that didn't have any important gameplay sounds, so you could play while listening to music).

I still love the first album and Love Life. I can listen to both of these on repeat pretty much endlessly. The synth sounds are very comforting and addicting... the sound of a safe, warm 80s womb. The songwriting is actually quite good too, for this kind of thing. Both albums also sound amazing in their old 1980s USA CD editions.

kiefer2 and Havoc like this.
  14. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I love Berlin! Best of is essential in addition to the three main albums, for the inclusion of "Blowin' Sky High" and a different version of "For All Tomoroow's Lies"

Tokyo Ghost, Porkpie and blaken123 like this.
  15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Any love for Berlin? It's been my home for close to 50 years. Greatest city on earth!

I know, I know... ;)

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, I am cautiously excited to hear this. Berlin ceased to exist after the original band broke up, and all the subsequent incarnations with Teri and her band shouldn't have been called Berlin at all.

That said, let's hope this is closer to the sound of original era Berlin, and nothing like The Big F.

I wonder if they'll bring back Dave Gilmour for another extended guitar solo :)

Porkpie likes this.
  17. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I'm probably to the devout side of Crawford and can let it be, it's theater, she's not telling girls to tell their fathers to go F themselves (last I checked) like Madonna and a slew of others so it just becomes audio/visual entertainment. Just at some point have to let people walk their own paths, give some insight if/when asked and let it be while asking others to give you the same lane for yourself.

18. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Wow. I almost could write the same thing. I think I was more into Intellivision at the time but definitely bought Demon Attack the first day and had Berlin in the rotation. I just finished a bing watch of Bands Reunited and am visiting those old original discs ATM. Nice memory, thanks for that.

blaken123 likes this.
  19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I don’t think this has been posted yet but the first 3 albums were remastered and re-released on CD a couple weeks ago!

https://80swave.com/

Havoc likes this.
  20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Interesting....Hard to imagine the demand is huge for these, as they were in print for a long time. But at least the first two have bonus tracks.

21. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Thanks good sir. I was on Amazon perusing and saw no sign of these. I tracked down an original Mercury disc for CTAP for a decent price though, my Geffen disc cracked. D'oh............

22. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Like the track very much. The prude in me says "Get thee to a nunnery!" That side of me that listens to Marilyn Manson says "It has to be a good thing she's into this, when she's my bride it will be that much more.............interesting." :evil:

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I love Berlin - "The Metro" was one of my faves from that period. Over the years though I've really grown fond of "Masquerade" as well, to the point where I think it might be their best track. That bridge gives Pat Benatar a run for her money!

24. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

I mentioned it when I bumped this thread.

25. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I just sent them a message saying they need to tell superdeluxeedition.com about it, because if they don't get mentioned there no one is going to know. Even New Wave Outpost (nwoutpost.com) had no indication of these being reissued.

sunspot42 likes this.