Berlin: any love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Sep 15, 2016.

1. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nothing comes near that tracks thanks to the Moroder input, but Pleasure Victim, You Don’t Know, Now It’s My Turn, Pink And Velvet come kinda/sorta close.

Tokyo Ghost and Basenote66 like this.
  2. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

As they both recollect, it was just non-stop album, touring, etc. and they wore each other out- didn't know how to give each other space, resolve conflict, .. the usual things. You can read about it here.

3. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I have. She would have been a "kinder and gentler" Leia I think. Carrie owned the role, just no way around that. Terri had a screen presence for sure and probably would have been fine. Ford and Fisher were into each other, that always helps.

BuckNaked likes this.
  4. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

There's a track on Count 3 called "You Don't Know" that's very good. One of my favorite Berlin tracks if not my favorite.

5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I emailed asking for a refund...I'll give them a few days before I call the credit card company.

6. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

I really like Love Life, just slightly less than Pleasure Victim. Love Life is lighter, but there's still great synth hooks all over the place. Beg Steal or Borrow, Now It's My Turn, Lost in the Crowd are all ace, but everything works great as a long - player! It helps that the old cd is very crankable.

7. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

That's a shame but it seemed a little fishy from the start. Some of these companies seem like they're situated on an island where they may have been the last humans to see the Malaysia Air jet before it vanished into thin air.

sunspot42 and Curveboy like this.
  8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I've been on the 'net something like 22 years...and I've only had a handful of bad purchasing experiences. Mainly people want to get their product out and into your hands.

9. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

People can b#!@h all they want about Amazon, but at least they don't charge you until the item is shipped.

10. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I'd tend to agree but I have seen a few outfits like this where you're thinking "So you exist to remaster the Berlin albums and not much else huh?" A bit odd. But, like you I'd think most wouldn't take the time just to take the $ of a small group of Berlin fans who might be excited about remastered albums. Had I not seen where you were a little concerned, I may have taken the plunge. I was waiting for you to say you got them then I was all in.

kiefer2 and Curveboy like this.
  11. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Poof, and then they were gone. Or, maybe gone. The content (at 80swave and 721entertainment) has been taken down but the sites are still parked at GoDaddy.

Last word from the anonymous guy, reported via a user of New Wave Forum, was this reply to an inquiry about the Berlin cds: "Yes, all 100% Geffen owned master tapes will be used. This is how we found some of this new bonus material. In searching for master tapes of the already cleared material, some tapes contained unreleased mixes or unknown tracks. So we've gone back in hopes these get cleared."

12. Wait a couple of months, and maybe these albums will show up on Cherry Red’s release schedule.

will_b_free and Curveboy like this.
  13. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

The new album (featuring John Crawford and Dave Diamond alongside the current lineup) is going to be called 'Woke' and apparently it will be released in July 2018.

Purple, Curveboy and kiefer2 like this.
  14. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Probably not. But I think “The Metro,” “No More Words,” “Masquerade” are better songs. “The Metro” is one of my all time favorite tunes.

snowman872, Purple, sunspot42 and 2 others like this.
  15. blaken123

Listening to "Rumor of Love" from Love Life. Low stakes sure, but a great synth pop song. This whole album is full of this stuff.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The bridge on "Masquerade" is electric.

blaken123 and Hoover Factory like this.
  17. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

"Sex (I'm A...)" sounds more like a song from this decade than any old pop music I've heard. It's mind-boggling.

It's not a great song, though. "No More Words" and "Take My Breath Away" are great. The latter probably overshadows the band's legacy. Berlin had no bad singles and consistently made quality music.

blaken123 and erikdavid5000 like this.
  18. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

deredordica and Curveboy like this.
  19. Tokyo Ghost

I wonder who is doing the remastering for these Berlin reissues?

20. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

saw them supporting frankie goes to hollywood in the uk mid 80's....it did not go well for them

21. Tokyo Ghost

I heard that one of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's engineers/session keyboardists, Andy Richards, was originally supposed to produce Berlin's 1986 album Count Three And Pray. They recorded all the songs with him. But then they decided to scrap most of the work they had done with him and brought in Bob Ezrin to redo the tracks. I would love to hear the original versions of all the tracks before Ezrin redid them.

Andy Richards contributions can only be heard on two of the tracks, You Don't Know and Sex Me. You can hear some Frankie Goes To Hollywood style synth bass sounds on those songs.

I'd also like to know how the band managed to lose three members (Ric Olsen, Matt Reid and David Diamond) between the release of Love Life (1984) and the release of Count Three And Pray (1986).

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Thorpy likes this.
  22. blaken123

BTW the old Geffen cds of Pleasure Victim and Love Life don't need any remastering. Because of the throwaway nature of those catalog releases back then and judging by the sound--they have a ton of texture detail and a very high dynamic range, and no murk--I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are flat transfers of either the master tapes or some other very nice source. Yes they are low on bass volume but, as with all proper sound engineering, the bass *information* that you need is there... just turn it up!

Porkpie, ricks, DesertHermit and 2 others like this.
  23. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

always dug No More Words....

LoveYourLife, Tokyo Ghost and Purple like this.
  25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Well, it’s nicer without that big wall...

ARK and sunspot42 like this.