Bernie Grundman Joni Mitchell vinyl masterings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marcfeld69, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

28 looks like a Bernie. This one is more difficult to see. But the S's especially look like right to me. The B's have that same loping upper serif. BTW, I have never seen a BG anywhere on a Bernie cut, not in person.

2. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

The handwriting looks completely identical to the handwriting on the promo Don Juan you posted above... Notice the first two B's. I'm not sure why you think they are different. Anyway, how do both records sound (that's what matters).

marcfeld69 likes this.
  3. stem

stem Forum Resident

Is there something basic I am misunderstanding in this thread ?
    The initials legible to me here all read BB. How can that be BG ?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  4. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident Thread Starter

To be honest, it's not really about BB=BG, as I understand it. I am trying to understand his handwriting. If you go back, you'll see some say that he didn't sign his BG initials on many early masterings. He does it more these days, apparently.

I had a query about one particular Joni Mitchell LP where I saw what I thought was a BG in a circle but no one seems to agree that this is his handwriting anyway.

So ... the thread has moved on, as far as I see it, to trying to identify his handwriting. I subsequently added more examples of what might be his handwriting.

5. marcfeld69

Right. That's a relief but there is a LOT of dissension over this on the thread. You will see his signature on the EH mono US AYE and ABOLD for sure!

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

What does it say on the mono AYE? I never noticed that.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. marcfeld69

I was sorted of dissuaded by some arguments here or maybe I misinterpreted them. The promo sounds absolutely excellent. I have to listen to the non-promo one. :)

8. marcfeld69

Without checking right now, it has a very very clear BG. I'd have to check the rest. I thought this was similar to the BG in the circle on a late Hejira but that particular one was so tiny that I couldn't get a good pic of it (and it's on a shop).

9. Combination

Hmm...if those intials are on Side 2, check yours when you get a chance.

I think it's a "B 6" substamper, and does not look like what I see on Blue, for instance.

10. marcfeld69

No, I'm sorry. It couldn't be clearer in this case. His G is a bit unusual but no one would take that for a 6. I'll post a pic later.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  11. Combination

Okay, looking forward to it, thank you!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  12. marcfeld69

Cheers, give me a bit of time in I can't do it before I go out.

Do you have the Blue with his initials? I'd love to see that.

13. Combination

Just checked, and I may have parted with it years ago...this is just off memory, but I think the BG would be written close to the catalog number? The only thing on my original is a "B" on the other side...at least I think so!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  14. marcfeld69

O.K. If this isn't stone-cold Grundman signature, I need help! This is from the EH AYE mono known to have been mastered by Bernie.

[​IMG]

Plus matrix:

[​IMG]

15. marcfeld69

There is a post from way back where someone writes three separate matrices for BG close to the matrix numbers so maybe you are right. Seems crazy no one's posted the pix.

16. Combination

This whole time, I'm thinking this is supposed to be on the original mono 1967 tri-tone....now I understand, thank you!! I was going crazy. :pug:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. marcfeld69

Cool. Don't for get Blue. ;)

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I think I haven't studied his handwriting as much as you, most of my limited knowledge :)D) is around his initials. I am probably not being helpful. Good luck.

19. marcfeld69

Well, hopefully this can be a kind of resource!

20. CouryH

CouryH New Member

check out my photos on my Facebook page. You will see Bernie's autograph. This album was presented to me by Lyn Stanley herself! Bernie mastered all three of her albums, and I was fortunate enough to get her album, signed by him

Coury James Hodges | Facebook ยป

marcfeld69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.