Bert Jansch Remasters (2015)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

2. Electric

3. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can tell you that the cover was a regrettable decision.

Alan2 likes this.
  4. Electric

Kinda psycho-delic!

footlooseman likes this.
  5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just got my copy of this. So much for the end of January release date. What a beautiful package. Will be listening later tonight but can't imagine any Jansch fan not wanting to own this.

ted321 likes this.
  6. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

The UK version of Moonshine was released on Reprise (as was the US) & not Transatlantic, unlike Bert's UK lps previous to Moonshine.

I've not compared UK & US releases of this lp, as I don't have UK version, but do have a very nice sounding US WLP of this title. The deadwax markings differ between this & the UK issue & the UK has PORKY/PECKO in the deadwax:

Bert Jansch - Moonshine »,

which normally suggests a great sounding pressing.

Telemark likes this.
  7. Electric

MoonPool, Alan2 and footlooseman like this.
  8. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

D'you mean the Loren Auerbach set? I haven't opened mine yet. I think i just bought it on reflex.

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

RSD 2015 they reissued the Bert Jansch self titled on vinyl and I didn't like it at all...

10. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I don't think that was Earth Recordings

11. Electric

I got the 3CD and probably will never listen to disc 3 again. The tracks were never released before and you can hear why. Otherwise OK, IMO.

12. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I have the Bert/Loren albums on a CD which came out some time ago, and I think I've only played it a couple of times. As I say, Bert Jansch vinyl is too much of a reflex buy, with me. :)

electronicpaperboy and e.s. like this.
  13. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

News from Earth Recordings:
    BIG NEWS:

The forthcoming 4XLP box sets documenting the work of Bert Jansch (Official) in the 90s and 00s (‘Living In The Shadows’ and ‘On The Edge Of A Dream’) will be closely followed by two further official deluxe collections, chronicling Jansch’s complete recordings in the 1960s, and early 1970s Transatlantic era.

Spread across two volumes, these definitive collections will comprise remastered studio recordings from ‘Bert Jansch' (1965), 'It Don’t Bother Me' (1965), 'Jack Orion' (1966), the ‘Needle Of Death’ EP (1966), Life Depends On Love EP (1967), ‘Nicola’ (1967), ‘Birthday Blues’ (1969), ‘Rosemary Lane’ (1971) and more. Both volumes will also include extra material, and for the very first time a chance to own Jansch’s complete recordings from this era in two highly-collectable sets.

Both volumes will be released Worldwide. Pre-ordering available from both Earth direct in the UK and Light In The Attic Records in the US shortly.

14. Harvest Your Thoughts

Hard to tell if this is good news. Some of the Earth remasters just remove all the life from the original recordings. It would be nice if they are clear about the sources and use all analogue mastering etc.

The "definitive" versions are the UK originals if you ask me...

electronicpaperboy and jlf like this.
  15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

The recent reissues use analogue mastering.

16. Harvest Your Thoughts

That's good to hear, however to be thorough, do you have a reference for that?

I compared an original 'From the Outside' to the Earth reissue and it was a very clear difference. The original sounds like Bert is in the room with you, the reissue sounds like he is in your neighbour's house...

17. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Not talking about the Earth reissues, but the reissues of the Transatlantic albums from last year. I believe it states on the site that Stuart Batsford used the original tapes, starting with the 50th anniversary edition of Bert Jansch.

DeRosa and electronicpaperboy like this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The mania for new vinyl, driving prices to three times the cost of CD editions, and all the problems that people have with new vinyl, will keep me happy with just my original vinyl editions plus various CD editions through the years. Give me some new outtakes, demos or live shows, and I'll buy them.

19. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

Regardless of source I'm finding Bert's back catalogue reissues a bit of a mess in hands of Earth Recordings. Okay it there might be difficulties as he recorded on multiple labels and therefore contractural difficulties, but there's a lack of focus, and integrity. Changing sleeve designs, and formats, not necessarily for the better, (live at the 12 bar anybody, it was hard to make the original look good, also a young Bert from a 90 recording, plain wrong! book covers, the picture disc, compiling 3 together to sell a bunch of rarities. Again in a different style presentation. Personally, I feel they are making it up as they go along. Perhaps Bert's estate should have taken a more long term view, they do seem to be rushed out at a rate of knots, it's not as if the back catalogue has been out of print.

I'm thinking the Fab Sandy Denny boxset would have been something to aspire too. I think he has the clout and fan base for it. Also the recent and rolling Jethro Tull back catalogue is a class art in reissues. There's plenty of period TV footage to go with some of the recordings. Bert deserves better. That said, I'm still buying them, then I always probably will.

20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I think the covers for Avocet and From the Outside are huge improvements over the original sleeve designs. The 2016 releases seem to be of a piece design-wise, and it looks like they're doing the same thing for the two (so far) 2017 releases. Live at the 12 Bar is most definitely a design nightmare, though.

I don't have (and have never heard) originals of these albums, but speaking for myself, I've been pretty happy with these so far, and I'm looking forward to Living in the Shadows.

21. electronicpaperboy

You know the original Avocet is the erarlier Danish only pressing, far superior cover to the UK and USA cover. Also the 90's reissue of from the outside was not the original. Both have some nod to their earlier concept unlike the present reissues. I quite like the Avocet cover, there's a charm, I have it on both Art vinyl and book format CD. It's just not consistant, in format or quality or concept.

22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Consistent with what? Every single sleeve for Avocet has been dreadful. The original Danish pressing is definitely better than the later UK and US releases, but it's still poorly done. Same with the original version of From the Outside from Belgium. Just a dreadful sleeve.

23. Harvest Your Thoughts

I agree with all of this.

The original Danish cover of Avocet was definitely the best. The new version, although aesthetically pleasing design-wise, does not match the music nor, in my opinion, Bert's personality (but I never met the man, so what would I know...)

Also agree on the box sets - Very cheap and again an ugly cover. It's one of those situations where it's very easy to say "I could have done better", and I believe most of us could have.

From the Outside also could have been done better. It was a dark time and a dark album for Bert. (Just listen to his voice!) Although the original cover is ghastly, it was more suited to the album than the new cover. I think a suitably moody (but new) cover would have been more appropriate.

24. electronicpaperboy

Didn't Adam Jansch have a hand in the reissue of From The Outside? The Hypertension label issue is better, again not by much. Yes, maybe a Rothko painting would work, haha.

25. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

What is it that strikes you as "cheap" about the Living in the Shadows box set design?