Best $175.00 I ever spent for a turntable upgrade, 78 RPM speed from KABUSA...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

I had my Technics SL-1210 Mk Whatever upgraded to play at the 78 RPM speed at KAB. Apparently it's very tricky to get the standard machine to play at 78 but with some circuit changes it works like a charm.

The machine arrived and when I held down the 45 button and just tapped the 33 button the thing sped up to a rock solid 78 RPM.

Totally cool beans.

So today, being bored, I lugged the Technics upstairs and hooked the thing up to my stereo in the listening room just for kicks. I wanted to play 78's up there at least once.

Problem was I needed to get the machine off of RIAA and couldn't figure out how to. Then I remembered the McIntosh preamp C46 has a bunch of EQ knobs on the front. The folks at McIntosh don't realize it but with careful manipulation one can get off of the RIAA curve and back to something more, um, basic 1940's style.

So, I twisted the knobs, put the Shure green N44 stylus in, increased the tracking force, hit the mono button and the thing sped up to a wacky looking 78 RPM.

I grabbed some Louis Armstrong Hot Five & Sevens on original OKEH from 1927 and put on "Struttin' With Some Barbecue".

It worked and sounded pretty awesome, with a real soundstage and an uncanny holographic image, remarkable since the record was cut over 80 years ago.

My poor gear though, it's striving to reproduce EVERYTHING on the record as accurately as possible, even the surface noise and bottom rumble. On my Tannoy Lancaster's downstairs I don't have this problem, heh.

At any rate, for $175.00 it is quite a deal to get your Technics to spin at the high speed. Maybe someday you'll have an Elvis Sun 78 or something and you'll want to check it out.

It has to be one of the best modding deals out there.

2. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Interesting. Seems like a easy way to play 78s!

Yeah, you don't need everything reproduced. I think I've resigned to the fact that I should just use an old Scott mono preamp for it's rumble filter and "Dynaural Noise Suppressor".

3. Very cool mod. :thumbsup:

Kinda sad that 78 RPM has not been considered a worthy addition to the vast majority of tables for going on 4 decades now,
    and some of the new ones involve removing the platter to even select 45 RPM.

Then many companies started building amps from the ground up without a phono output, go figure ...

4. Toka

Toka Active Member

Glad you are digging it. I will be sure to get that option when I get my deck from KAB. Kevin has some cool preamps that are great for 78 playback...multiple EQ's, etc.

5. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

With the modded Technics you also get variable speed adjustment around a static 78 which I consider essential, as there even 78's from 1940's that play at off speeds.

If I ever decide to buy a 1200-1210 or whatever, it's coming already installed with the KAB 78 mod.:thumbsup:

6. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

Wouldn't you be better off tracking down a Japanese-market SL-1200mk4?

Buck

7. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Maybe I will do this. I have a MK2 and want to get into 78s without spending crazy money. And I'm unsure about buying an old player off ebay or something.

8. Nonhuman

Nonhuman Forum Resident

It's a nice idea to get a turntable to play 78s. I think my old Dual turntable used to play 78s. These days I wind up my Victrola and listen to them. However there is no way to adjust volume except to close the door over the horn. Speed adjustment is a manual brake which back-pressures the spring drive. It's a whole different experience listening to music without any electricity. It makes me wonder who sat around this thing 50 years ago. I wonder if they would have played anything like "Struttin' with some Barbeque". Song titles like that are what keep me excited about 78s.

9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I do the same thing with my Philips GA-212. Except it involves putting the belt around the top of the capstan and playing records with the platter off. I was hipped to that in the mid 70's when I had a 312 and we talked like that. :agree: But until about a year ago, I was playing my 78's on my 1921 Humpback Victola. Steve recommended on a thread about 78's that I get a mono cartridge and a turntable that plays 78's. What a difference!

10. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Great mod at a great price from KAB.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Steve,

We couldn't agree more. My wife's SL-1200 is KAB modded. Hers has the KAB tweaks including 78 RPM added. Mine will be in the near future. We enjoy occasional 78 RPM goodies when found. Been listening to some Merle Travis Capitol Americana Series 78 discs and some MGM Hank Williams 78 issues.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I bump in to 78 RPM records all the time. Friends have them from their parents or grandparents and don't know what to do with them or whatever. Most are useless but there are some goodies in there. Heck, a Forum member just sent me a pile of old CARTER FAMILY "Montgomery Ward" 78s from the middle 1930s. "There's No Hiding Place Down Here" and all that stuff. They sound so much better on the original records than any LP or CD comp I've ever heard..

Sometimes 78s just rule.

One hasn't lived until they hear HANK WILLIAMS, BENNY GOODMAN, BILLIE HOLIDAY or CARL PERKINS on the original records.

13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

At Goodwill last week for $1.50 I found ten 78's in a vintage album. One was a Columbia pressing with Louis Armstrong on one side and Duke Ellington on the other. Got 2 Fats Wallers, one on Bluebird, the other Victor. Also a Columbia two-fer, a "Hot Trumpets" series with Louis on one side and Henry "Red" Allen (my favorite trumpeter) on the other. Also 78's of The Merry Macs, Benny Goodman, Spike Jones, Count Basie and the Ink Spots. Can't wait to play them through my stereo!

14. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

This is the one mod I didn't ask for when I recently sent my table to Kevin. Hmmm - maybe I'll pick it up after all.

15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

AMEN to that!!

I've been meaning to get my SL-1200 modded for 78 for a while. At present I'm relying on a Garrard SL95B to spin my big ten inch rekkids.

16. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

It's great to listen to 78's in high fidelity. I listen to them on a Thorens 124 with an SME arm attached. It's no accident that I have a fairly fancy record player spinning these. They really do contain lots of musical information.

I've been listening to a bunch of early 50's Blue Note 78's I picked up a few weeks ago.

I was just thinking about mastering 78's to 45 rpm LP's. If the sources are good enough, and the playback equipment is good enough, could you get something close to the sound of those great old records?

17. Ere

Ere Senior Member

My 1200 mk II is coming back from Kevin with this mod - but I have a question:

Is the RIAA eq introduced by the cartridge or the phono stage?

If the cartridge does it, why don't they make cartridges intended for 78 playback (with wider, truncated elliptical styli) that send the signal flat?

18. il pleut

il pleut New Member

i bought a modded 1210 from them a year or 2 ago.
    some of the best money i've ever spent.

19. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure it's the/your phono stage. Perhaps some turntables with built-in phono preamps have RIAA built-in, but I don't think cartridges do (or ever have?).

20. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

RIAA is introduced by the phono stage. The voltage signal generated in the cart is 'flat' hence the need for phono pre-amps that pre-correct for RIAA before going into amp/reciever, when playing 78's. Though it's not an absolute necessity, IMO.

Old style ceramic carts can deliver enough output on their own to make them able to bypass the phono stage altogether, and plug directly into a line input, and there are still some 78 collectors nowadys that claim to prefer them.

Haven't tried one myself, don't know if I'd bother.

21. Ere

Ere Senior Member

So do these pre-amps still get plugged into the phono stage line-in?

have they eq'd the signal so that when the phono stage applies RIAA to it that it sums to an eq more appropriate to 78s?

Couldn't one use a phono pre-amp and simply add gain to the signal, feed it as-is (flat) to an aux line-in, then add eq as needed then?

22. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Then the company that released them did not do their job correctly. I was told in a conversation recently about a CD release that could have been much better, that "it was just the style of the engineer" to do it that way. When it comes to shellacs, there is no "style". There is only right or wrong. And there's so much wrong out there that it's little wonder people think 78's sound like crap.

23. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I have a couple of hundred 78s from my mothers collection, mostly big band: dorsey, miller, goodman, sinatra, NKCole, but no way to play them since my old ceramic cart changer went ka-phutttt! Wonder if anyone makes an outboard power supply that will do 78?

24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I have a copy of Steve's Jazzy Jugs and Washboards, and the first track is from 1929, IIRC, and it is stunning.

25. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

People don't realize how good 78's can sound! Around the late 20's/early 30's they really started getting their act together for recording electrically. Shellacs have a lively presence that really jumps out at you. Hey, there's an audiophile term for you. Forget about air and detail and smoothness and all the things you say about vinyl, shellacs JUMP. They did a fantastic job on the Cab Calloway releases!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.