Best 180 gram pressing of Sticky Fingers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter

peter Senior Member

IMHO, this 1997 EMI LP is not only the BEST SF ever pressed, but is the only one that equals the orig. CDN. Kinney vinyl. Vinyl is quieter on the EMI. Beautifully pressed record and is proof that a digitally sourced LP can sound amazing, however rare an occasion that might be.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That was part of the first EMI 100 batch? Digital and DMM - would be surprised if it was any better than the earlier 1994 Virgin USA Ludwig (RTI). The second batch of EMI 100 were AAA lacquers and include the best ever Hunky Dory. I don't think Sticky Fingers has been well served by 180g reissues.

3. I have a NZ original lp and the platinum SHM reissue and while the Japanese cd has a lot more clarity much of the time I prefer that same dirty,sleazy sound that my very worn vinyl copy has.
    I'd love a nice original but it's an expensive mine field now trying to find a clean copy at a reasonable price. Very rare to find Sticky fingers vinyl in any sort of condition in my part of the world which is a little strange given how many were sold on release.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  4. peter

peter Senior Member

I believe there were 4 batches of EMI Centennary LP's and the SF is from the second and is indeed digital. (Batches 3 & 4 were analog.) At least that is what I recall. The RTI pressed SF dates from 1999-2000 and there an Exile and Some Girls in this series too, all of which were absolutely terrible. I took a bath on mine when I traded them in.

So, to be clear: the UK EMI is from 1997 and was/is amazing. The RTI is from 1999-2000 and is awful.

5. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

You luc
    ky Dog you.
    Did you buy 2 by any chance?????
    the beave

6. The Beave

I want one. Any know of any to have PM me or let me know. I'm not going to buy the up coming Brickwalled Mastered version.....what a waste of vinyl that is going to be.....
    sad sad sad......
    the beave

7. The Beave

Ok, lets start getting some truth data here, cause I'm a looking for one of these LPCENT38's for my collection.

I had the 'US' Issue, 1994 of SF 180 gram Pressed RTI.
    It is Horrible sounding.
    Not slightly bad, not kinda bad but horrible.
    My best guess is that whatever equipment
    they use to 'apply' the RIAA eq curve to the
    Cutting head input, wasn't 'turned on'. If you
    look at a flat tape, then apply the RIAA curve,
    the Re-apply it on the playing end you get what you get.
    Now, if the same process was done without ENCODING
    the signal going to the cutting head, you get the 1994 Virgin
    SF. Way to mushy bloated bass, and really dull, flat almost non
    existent high end.

Now the 1995 UK version of this, don't know how this sounds at all
    and can't find any user reviews.....
    BUT the 1997 UK EMI 100 version, utilizing the same digital tape
    but maybe getting a new mastering/plates etc????? Sounds, to 3 people
    at least AS GOOD as an original issue.

So I want one at a reasonable price.
    Find it for me now please.

But seriously, what about the recent Japanese '100 % Pure LP' DMM vinyl that just went out of print???
    That's straight from the UK master tape that made the SACD's.
    Does anyone have both and did a comparison???????
    I want one of those also.

Boy, I want a lot don't I?

And yes some kind member sent me a discogs listing for the Japanese clear SF 100% but two problems with it:
    #1, It's only VG+, it's an tem that went M- just a year ago for $45.
    and #2, I can't justify paying almost $30 for overseas shipping. So I'll just wait
    and see if lady luck smiles upon me.

the beave

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    All Down The Line likes this.
  8. peter

peter Senior Member

I wish I had bought 10 of them. No joke. I think, that in the nearly 20 years since the EMI's came out, that I have seen 3-4 for sale in the used bins and never a SF.

9. peter

peter Senior Member

I did not even hear about the JPN. SHM-SACD sourced one. It certainly did not appear in any local shops.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The EMI 100 Sticky Fingers was indeed from a digital source (and perhaps Hunky Dory is the best ever...I don't know). But other than that, your facts and presumptions are incorrect.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Agreed...sort of. How can the EMI LP be the best and yet also equal the original Canadian?

Semantics aside, my recollection (and I haven't listened to either in quite some time) is that while both are very good, they aren't that similar sounding. The CDN has a big bottom end with a softer overall sound, while the EMI is more precise with a greater emphasis on the top end.

I can't help but wonder how the most recent Japanese pressing from the DSD master would be. But it was really pricey and I already had the SACD (which I probably like best of all).

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Are the EMI's really that hard to find these days? IIRC, I've got about a half dozen or so of the analogs plus the Sticky Fingers.

13. The Beave

Yeah, they just disipeared from the
    Ok, so buy the new SF re issue vinyl and I'll take the UK EMI LPCENT38 off yer hands there big fellow!! :goodie:
    the beave

I can only find one and it's going for $255. :help:
    I'll become a Saint before I can afford THAT!!! :D
    the beave again.

14. The Beave

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Wow. $255. I can't imagine it'll actually sell for that, but if you can only find one out there for sale...

The SHM version was going for like $75 when it was in print. I imagine it goes for a pretty penny now too.

I, ahem, know someone with 2 copies of the EMI Sticky Fingers, but unfortunately it isn't for sale... :hide:

16. The Beave

aHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Sh@@@@@@@@T!!! :idea:
    Would they trade for a Clear IORR?????? :whistle:

the beave
    yeah bay beeeeeee

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

From Universal Music Japan when it came out. Don't buy it - it comes in a PVC sleeve that damages the vinyl.

If you have the IORR, take it out of the PVC sleeve and either toss the sleeve or store it far from any vinyl.

18. Classicrock

Silly an ex original can be had for around £50. The EMI is from the later batch of EMI 100 so won't be DMM- however unlike most later titles in the series they used the same digital source as the US 1995 reissue. I agree all those 3 US Virgin reissues are muddy sounding for some reason - can't be due to not using RIAA as technically impossible. Could have been a plating issue. I am sure Ludwig claimed the pressings sounded way different to the lacquer. Unfortunately I skipped the EMI probably because it was labeled as digital. Most digitally sourced vinyl of the time sounded average at best.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

So you haven't actually heard the EMI 100 version?

20. Classicrock

And at the asking price I and most people are not likely to. So we have the word of one member that 90s digital sounds better than AAA - his system his ears and everyone is straining at the bit to get a copy.

21. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I'll continue hunting for a NM original Monarch pressing until the label decides to do this and Exile right by releasing a proper remaster that's not brickwalled or eq'd to crap.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

D
    You just keep making up facts (see your earlier post) to support what appears to be your conviction that it can't be good. There are at least two people in the last couple of days on this thread that have good things to say about it. And do a search, you'll find more -- and people were saying this when they could be found for $25 and long before it apparently become unobtainium.

Is it the end all, be all, hands down, no questions asked, best ever pressing of Sticky Fingers? Of course not. Would I pay $225 for a copy? Nope. But it is a very good pressing of Sticky Fingers. Good enough that it's certainly competitive with well regarded AAA pressings (which aren't perfect either).

23. The Beave

Thank You Dr. How bizarre is that????
    The Sleeve damaging the vinyl.....
    chemicals anybody?????

the Beave.

24. Classicrock

In my experience unless the actual vinyl is in contact with the PVC there is no likely damage. People have had chemicals seep thro' the sleeve to the vinyl over years likely dependent on storage conditions / climate. Almost impossible with a newish release.

25. The Beave

So then I'm looking for an original issue Canadian Pressing then? :shh:
    I do have the Toshiba 1st issue Japanese pressing, which is what I made my personal remaster from, but it's nothing special.
    Then I have the weird Mobile Fidelity issue that sounds like somebody jacked up the 500-1K band on an eq WAY up. It literally sounds to me like crap, so 'honky' in the midrange that it kills any 'groove' the sound has.
    I'll have to dig out my original, or repressing USA issue although I was a teenager when I got it so it's probably thrashed.

Is there ANY word Guys on the upcoming Vinyl issue, if the RED w/tshirt issue was a new mastering, and it was, it obviously was not the Brickwalled version that was in the 71-2008 box that that Stephen M dude totally killed the sonics of. So if the Red was a different
    Master..........? I don't want to drop another $40 on a vinyl brickwalled version.

And to show you how pathetic I am, I own the SACD and Platinum SHM cd's so why am I doing this in the first place???????? :crazy:

LOL
    the beave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.