Best 45rpm vinyl store in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Chris C, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last! Thread Starter

Hey gang,

I'm heading to Toronto to see Gino Vannelli perform in February and while I'm VERY familiar with HMV and the great Sam The Record Man stores, I want to know if there are any good stores with 45's for sale.

PLEASE NOTE: I hate to be a stickler, but the stores MUST have the 45's in alpabetical order (I'm NOT a digger) and there must be room to get to them (Boxes stored deep on a bottom shelf in a basement, are NOT for me) and last, but certainly, not least...They must be priced BEFORE I hit the counter. I can't stand stores that don't price their records and then charge you WHATEVER mood the owners in that day! I really look for 45's in the $3 to $6 dollar range, if possible.

Thanks for any help with this request,
    Chris C

2. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Forum Resident

This place isn't bad...it used to be a lot better when it was owned by Martin Koppel, who is a well-known Northern Soul collector.

Kops (downstairs) 416-593-8523
    Vintage Sounds (upstairs) 416-598-4039
    229 Queen Street West,
    Toronto, ON M5V 1Z4
    Vintage Sounds has buckets full of 45s - prices vary...nice staff, informative about new loads of vinyl coming in...listening station
    Kops has loads of new vinyl, 45s, dj equip. etc. and great reggae collection (although I am no reggae expert, it just seems big and varied) plus listening station

3. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

I going to TO for a conference in March and I was wondering if anyone knows a place with a good selection of Jazz CDs other then Sam's?

4. Chris C

Thanks clairehuxtable for your input!

5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Vintage Sounds certainly has a large selection and is organized, but the prices tend to be on the high side.

There's a store called Pandemonium in the west end (Dundas St. W. just west of Keele) which has a small but fairly organized 45 section in the back. Prices are pretty good. A guy called Neil is the owner. I don't think he knows me by name but if you see him tell him the baseball coach sent you. He donated prizes to our kids' league a couple of times.

6. clairehuxtable

Here's a pic I found of Vintage Sounds - those are shelves of 45's in the background against one whole wall and there are more on the opposite wall (not pictured).

Attached Files:

7. Chris C

Thanks John for another choice and thanks clairehuxtable for the photo!

By the way, have any of you ever been to "THE MOD CLUB" (that is where the Gino Vannelli concert is), and if so, are there any good places to eat nearby?

Thanks,
    Chris C

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

See Gord at Backbeat, Yonge at Manor Rd.

9. clairehuxtable

I haven't been to The Mod Club, but I have friends that go once in a while. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it (there's also a link to the official site there).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_Club_Theatre

I got my Brit Pop fix at "Blow Up" on Saturdays at the El Mocambo about 7 years ago. I think TMC is similar, but instead of playing classic Motown, the Jam & the Creation, they play more contemporary British Pop (on dance nights) which they broadcast live to air on CFNY 102.1 FM on Thursday nights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.