Best actor (actress) in a sitcom

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joey Kaspick, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Brings up an interesting point. Which sitcom had the best ensemble cast. I would argue Seinfeld, MTM or Taxi.

And now back to the regularly scheduled thread.

MikaelaArsenault and FVDnz like this.
  2. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Michael Scott as played by Steve Carell has every failing a person could have and hurled them in your face at every possible opportunity but you couldn't hate him or give up completely and when he came through by making the sale or inspiring someone in was not out of left field but a part of who he was. That Carell never won an Emmy is a stain on that organization.

woody likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Start a new thread. It's a good topic. :)

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  4. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Doris Packer - The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  5. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

"F Troop" always reminded me of "The Phil Silvers Show" which was about 10 years before it. I'm not saying F Troop wasn't funny it was, I'm just making an observation.

6. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

What are you anti-female?

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

When the thread is about acting prowess and you admit to picking one based solely on her looks, that tells me reading comprehension isn't your strong suite... especially if you equate my comment to being anti-female. :rolleyes:

LivingForever and GodShifter like this.
  8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Found this interesting on the web.
    Don Knotts was a World War II veteran. He was awarded the World War II Victory Medal, Philippine Liberation Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (with four bronze service stars), Army Good Conduct Medal, Marksman Badge (with Carbine Bar) and Honorable Service Lapel Pin.

9. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

10. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Katherine Helmond on "Soap." She could be hilarious and heartbreaking.

11. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Phil Hartman, News Radio
    (Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor! DAAAMN)

Dabney Coleman, Slap Maxwell

12. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I watched "Boston Legal" today for the first time in ages.
    James Spader is excellent.

LilacTeardrop and LivingForever like this.
  13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

He has been acting on a Broadway Show and has been in Movies, while still playing Sheldon, so think he will be fine, one the BBT ends.

14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Stacy Keach(The Father of the Dark, Twisted Family on 'Titus'). He made me laugh more than any other Actor in a Sitcom Comedy.

John McGinley(Dr. Perry Cox on Scrubs)-My 2nd Favorite Actor in a Comedy. Despite myself coming across as a real nice person(and I am a real bleeding heart progressive person concerned about Human Rights & Equal Rights), I have a lot of Dr. Cox and Dr. House in me, as tell people I know, like it is, and not concerned about hurting one's delicate feelings. I have a Wicked Sense of Humor.

Bryan Cranston(Hal the Father in 'Malcolm in the Middle' and also he used Dark Comedy brilliantly as Walt/Heisenberg on 'Breaking Bad')

Danny DeVito(Uncle Frank on 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia')-The Entire Cast is Funny though.

John Larroquette(Dan on Night Court).

John Goodman(Roseanne)-Also a Great Dramatic Actor, and he brings that part of his Talent to his Comedic Timing on 'Roseanne'.

Roseanne Barr(Roseanne)-When she was not off her meds, actually, maybe her meds made her funny, like great Albums were made by Musicians on Drugs.

Kelsey Grammer(Cheers & Frazier)

Jon Lajoie(Taco on 'The League')

Kaitlin Olson('The Mick' & 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia')

Andre Braugher(Brooklyn Nine-Nine)-Any Actor(Non Comedic) will tell you that Comedy is much harder to do than Drama. Braugher is a Brilliant Dramatic Actor(especially his past performance as Frank Pembleton on 'Homicide-Life on the Streets'), and now as Ray Holt on 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine', he is proving how talented he is as a Comedic Actor.

And Last, but Not Least:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Standoffish likes this.
  15. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

Michael Richards, hands down.

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Absolutely. Winner, here!

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  17. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

David Hyde Pierce made me laugh more than any of the other extremely talented ensemble cast of "Frasier." He shifted seamlessly between being Frasier's foil to being the focal point of the scene, whatever the script demanded, often several times in the same scene. His piece de resistance, imho, came in this vignette from the 1999 episode "Three Valentines"...done entirely without dialogue.

18. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I've only read the first page but am surprised that Don Knotts isn't mentioned. He was fantastic on Andy Griffith and won 5 emmys for playing Barney Fife.

19. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I didn’t know this at the time.

20. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

you sir are a genius. one of the funniest scenes hands down in any TV comedy ever.

21. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I don´t know if "best" is the right word, but I think Jane Curtin did marvellous things with ther role as Allie in "KATE & ALLIE", and she also added some deadpan humour to "3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN". Great actress!

Edit: And how could I forget my favourite British sitcom actress, Penelope Keith? She is great in "NO JOB FOR A LADY", "TO THE MANOR BORN", "EXECUTIVE STRESS" and superb in "NEXT OF KIN". Her breakthrough was in "THE GOOD LIFE", of course, but this show has dated rather badly, I think.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Moshe and PonceDeLeroy like this.
  22. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

John Goodman.

Moshe and Jazzmonkie like this.
  23. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Agree...Phil Hartman great ~ Dave Foley & Stephen Root also terrific! A favorite comedy! Along w/The New Adventures Of Old Christine (Julia Louis Dreyfus).
    Love full casts of what I'm posting here.
    & of course, Doris Roberts - Everybody Loves Raymond (already posted pg. 1)

Leah Remini - King Of Queens
    Lenny Venito - The Neighbors (& Simon Templeman)
    :D:D:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Neighbors Trailer - ABC Network

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  24. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

It depends on what quality you’re looking for. Actors like Bea Arthur and Michael J Fox were masters of comic timing in a multi camera. But to me, you can’t get better than the versatility of Carroll O’Connor and Jean Stapleton. They could do comedy, they could do drama, they had great timing, and they pretty much lost themselves in their roles.

PonceDeLeroy and Moshe like this.
  25. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Ted Danson - skimmed back through his IMDB page... his range is astonishing. He won Emmys and Golden Globes for “Cheers” but I think “Becker” was one of the most underrated sitcoms ever and “Good Place” is on another level. He’s as good in drama, but maybe makes it look too easy (or maybe people are still reeling from the whole Whoopi/blackface thing.)

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.