'Best' Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky CD? (no DVD-a, SACD, HDAD etc.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rens, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I have the original 32RD Japan discs for I Robot through Stereotomy and the A32D Gaudi, they sound good although I Robot is bettered by the MFSL Aluminum. I bet their mastering is the same as the later Japan pressings. But the yellow Obis are so purty on the 32RD discs. :)

2. Rens

Rens Well-Known Member Thread Starter

received the Japan issue today. EAC value:

BVCA-1008 (A32D?) : 100,0 / 100,0 / 100,0 / 64,1 / 100,0 / 92,7 / 100,0 / 100,0 / 100,0 / 100,0

Thus turns out the same master as ARCD-8033.

c-eling likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks for posting, I have the US 8033 and it matches, I have no need to search out another, quite happy with it :cheers:

4. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I just read this post and found it helpful, as I acquired a 258 718 (so a later German pressing with a different matrix and cat number.) Glad to know both this and original German are the same mastering. Does this apply to all of the other German Alan Parsons cd's (up to Eye)? I have a copy of I Robot with the shorter catalogue number and I'm wondering if it's the same as the German original, which I don't have.

5. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

IIRC the original German CD release of "I Robot" has some serious issues, while later releases are using a Japanese master without those issues.

6. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Thanks! I thought something was a little weird. I read a thread on here where someone mentioned distortion in the earlier German pressing. However, this later pressing sounds a little like they tried to no-noise the distortion out because it is practically hissless. It's also a little on the bright side.

Is this the only case where the later pressing is different from the original?

7. synchronizer

synchronizer Forum Resident

I understand that this thread hasn't had any activity in almost a year, but I would rather not start a new topic.
    I cannot find a topic here about the best CD version of "Pyramid." Would anyone know? Hopefully the answer isn't too difficult to find. Pink Floyd albums are a different story. haha

8. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I can recommend my old Arista CD (made in Germany). It sounds so nice I haven't felt the need to look further.

9. synchronizer

synchronizer Forum Resident

I see Arista CDs but no one seems to list the country of origin. Oh well, I'll ask around here some time in the future.
    Thanks.

10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I have a US Arista, has date stamp on the hub 87, I wouldn't call it audiophile grade but it sounds fine, I'll post peak levels to see what it compares to other countries of press
    US Pyramid ARCD 8225 DIDX 169 TT-37:44:35
    79.7/86.9/63.4/79.8/95.0/76.7/95.7/81.3/66.4

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  11. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

12. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

I have this one too. Anyone have an opinion of the best sounding digital version of Pyramid?

13. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Recently got a bunch of APP WG (pre-remaster) cd's including Eye In The Sky. I have the remaster, which I was quite happy with, but was curious to know how the original stacked up against it and you might have guessed it .... I quite prefer my WG (made by PDO) now over the remaster. Utterly crankable (although the remaster isn't that bad in that department) but also the sound field has a three dimensionality to it where as the remastered sounds flat, like all instruments are lined up next to each other between the speakers and not with much depth to them.

Here is the link to mine on Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/The-Alan-Parsons-Project-Eye-In-The-Sky/release/5303528

Carlox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.