Best all-in-one amp for difficult floorstanders - Moon Ace or Nad M10 or?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by K Brooke, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K Brooke

K Brooke Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I’m after a good all-in-one for my Dynaudio Evoke 30 floorstanders. I’m currently using a Naim XS2 with a Border Patrol DAC and Node 2i streamer. I love the “live” sound it produces but I need to give up separates and get an all in one system.

My budget is mid range. I demo’d a Naim Uniti Atom and loved the design and features. Unfortunately, it couldn’t get anywhere near driving my Evoke speakers with its 40w rating and the sound wasn’t great compared to my current setup (it would likely be a perfect all in one for bookshelf speakers). I can’t afford to step up to the higher watt Naim Uniti Star so that’s not an option.

I have been looking at the Moon Neo Ace. It’s rated 50w but many reviews suggest it can drive difficult floorstanders. It also sounds like it has a nice smooth & refined sound I enjoy. I’ve also looked at the NAD M10 as it has good wattage but I’ve read mixed reviews on sound quality compared to other amps and the lack of remote bugs me.

Does anyone have any all in one amp recommendations? Or even close to all in one where id only need 1 peripheral?

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

I had a Simaudio Moon 340i with all the options. It was twice as powerful as the Moon amp you're looking at, but it was a fantastic amp.

3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

What's an all-in-one amp? Is this anything like an integrated amp or a receivers?

4. Projectman

Projectman Forum Resident

I own and use an NAD M10 in my full time home office. Not sure how difficult your speakers are to drive, but the NAD is rated at 100 WPC and it drives my KEF LS50 easily. It is a nice system and has virtually every feature and function you could ever want.

5. Projectman

Google search is your friend

6. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I still have a Moon 340i, with all the options. The sound somehow seems just effortless.
    I suspect that the Neo Ace would not disappoint, but get a demonstration.

7. Projectman

The Moon 340i is a nice integrated and I'm sure it sounds better than the M10. The M10 is overflowing with features many people might not use.

8. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Perhaps the NAD C 275BEE stereo power amplifier?

Plenty of power - and rated to drive four ohm loads like your Dyns.

Very reasonably priced.

All in all, enough to make you want to stay with separates.

Jeff

basie-fan likes this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Buy a McIntosh integrated amplifier with autoformers, and 2 ohms no problem. And with care, can last generations. Used ones in top condition can be great buys from vendors with quality warranties and impeccable support.

BayouTiger likes this.
  11. K Brooke

I’m a bit worried the Moon Ace won’t have enough power at 50 watts to drive my Evoke 30s. I had a glance at the Hegel Rost. It looks great but isn’t quite an all in one. I’d need to add a phono stage and the streaming is only Apple airplay at 44 so would probably end up keeping my node 2i to stream.

I like the look and use ability of the M10, just don’t want to downgrade sound quality from my XS2 and Border Patrol!

12. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

That's why I suggested a demonstration!

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I'd recommend something in the 100 watt/channel class into 4 ohms. Which is half of the power handling quoted. Even 150 watts/channel into 4 ohms not overkill here. I would not recommend less power.

14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Why?

-Bill

15. Projectman

Nice amplifiers but overpriced compared to the completion unless you are hypnotized by blue lights and analog meters.

BayouTiger likes this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not overpriced if you buy them used, and buy them old enough. And they still will handle reactive 4 ohm loads if they have autoformers. They'll likely be making music when many lesser are in landfills several times over. Quality, conservative circuit design with parts which are never ran hard in daily normal life means something. It's not just blue lights and meters either here. Mine doesn't have meters or blue lights either. I buy gear designed to be repaired over gear which isn't. And no service literature/no parts available to me, no purchase. And I like a lot more gear than McIntosh. But I like manufacturers who build gear which sounds consistently fine year after year, who support it, and who make gear I only have to buy once. And for me before I buy it, I need to see one disassembled. And be able to see it in detail.

Khorn likes this.
  17. K Brooke

I’d love a Mcintosh but they are out of my price range.

mom looking seriously at the Hegel Rost. It’s 75w but my Naim Nait XS2 is 70w and drives my Evoke 30s just fine. Anyone know how the Rost would compare to the XS2? It’s also got a DAC and some streaming functionality.

As for why I’m going no separates, I just don’t have the space to House them nor the inclination to keep changing parts. I want an end game all in one!

18. Jazzy Jase

Jazzy Jase Active Member

Hi, I realise your last post was a month ago, but did you make a decision yet?

For what it's worth, I've just bought an ACE and it drives my Kudos X2's (86.5db @8ohm) with ease. Max volume I can use is 54 (of 80) so there's plenty of room to spare.

The photo below was taken (by stereonet) at a HiFi show in the UK last year. Unless I'm mistaken, the speakers are Evoke 30's and they were being driven by an ACE (among other things). They sounded sublime and it was that setup which convinced me to demo an ACE at home.

[​IMG]

70sEraDylan likes this.
  19. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

Def Moon Neo Ace, I have one and never been over 60 vol level (it goes to 80 as someone has mentioned) beautiful sound....All in one means Phono stage built in and streaming via the Moon Mind app. One piece of kit and very good it is too.

cello15 and timind like this.
  20. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Yeah, I think that the Moon Neo Ace would be a very nice unit to pair with those speakers. Unless you plan to listen in a relatively large space at generally higher than typical volume, the Moon is worth a serious consideration.

21. j93

j93 Member

so what did you end up buying? I've got the ACE and love its sound, I use it with my B&W 706 s2, but the MiND app for iOS is incredibly buggy and annoying, I've had it for over a year and none of the updates seem to be doing any good, it feels like a very unfinished app and not really up to standards to modern apps.

22. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

Never had a problem with the MIND app...Works every time and updates every now and then when asked to OK...what other music apps have you used?

23. bluenosens

bluenosens Forum Resident

Moon used to exhibit with Dynaudio years ago. Perhaps you could e-mail Simaudio and see what they suggest? Moon has an outstanding built. Good luck.

24. David Matthew Horn

David Matthew Horn Well-Known Member

What is the main competition for the Moon Ace these days?

The Naim Uniti series are less power for more $$$ and also translate all analog signal to digital. It seems like the NAD M10 has similar feature set but I get the vibe from this thread that its sound quality is diminished as compared to the Ace. What else is out there that offers
    - Phono Stage
    - Integrated Amp
    -DAC
    -Streamer
    -Keeps analog and digital signals separate

MGW likes this.
  25. SonicCzar

SonicCzar Forum Resident

Search this website for M10 issues, I don't have one but trust the comments here from owners more than professional reviews. I love my Node 2i, there are so many mid priced quality intergrateds you could connect it to. Rotel, Marantz, Yamaha.....if you have the dough Luxman, higher end Yamaha, and McIntosh.

David Matthew Horn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.