Best Android FLAC Players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was wondering around foobar's website a few weeks ago, and then I saw a little thing for foobar2000 on mobile devices. I was blown away. They're already 1/3 of their $300,000 goal. I absolutely love foobar on the PC and can't wait for it to be on Android. In the meantime, the three best FLAC players I've seen on Google Play are GoneMad Music Player (crossfades FLAC files, has best sound quality of the three (from what I've seen) and straight forward), Onkyo HF Player (ability to connect to Onkyo HiFi players, optimization for Onkyo headphones/earbuds, and an extremely customizable equalizer), and JetAudio (simple to the point, however, does not crossfade). One problem with these apps, to get away from a 2 week trial, or inaccessible features- you must pay anywhere from $2-$10. Does anyone else have an app they use to play FLAC and WAV files, that sounds terrific?

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I use PlayerPro for everything (ogg/mp3/flac). I tried GoneMad but I hated the constant file directory glitches which the developer pretended didn't exist.

3. Meatface

Meatface Forum Resident

HenryFly and SirMarc like this.
  4. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Forum Resident

I've been using Poweramp for years now. Tried others(JetAudio, Onkyo) but PA does the trick for me.

nightstand68 likes this.
  5. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

Could you explain them in detail? The only directory problem I have, is when I take out my microSD card, delete/add something to it. I only had to start the scanner again.

6. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I use power amp, have loved it for about 5 years. Excited for foobar too as it's what I use on the pc.

Stillhouse likes this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I haven't used it in some time, but back when I had an Android phone with an SD card slot, eventually the app would fail to read the files on the SD card. The card was not corrupted either, because I used a PC card reader to check the files. Maybe it will work fine for you, I don't know. After getting frustrated with the apps quirks, I just stopped using it. I don't even think I have it loaded on my current phone (an Android with no SD card slot), even though I paid for the app.

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Neutron Music Player. Spectacular sound. Only problem I have with it is that it wants to sort by "Album Artist" and not "Artist", and I never complete the "Album Artist" field on my tags.

9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Rockbox.

10. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I'm in the foobar iOS beta, and I'd say whatever Android player you choose, you're going to switch to foobar when it's ready.

11. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

I use Winamp, works good for me.

12. mds

mds Forum Resident

I use PlayerPro. Move files to phone, the program does the rest. Sounds much better than my cars CD player. For this reason I only use my phone in the car.

13. balekutu

balekutu Well-Known Member

I am using USB Audio Player on my Samsung Note3 and Dragonfly black as dac&amp trough Sennheiser HD598 cans.
    The result is quite excelent.

nightstand68 likes this.
  14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I tested 4 or 5 Android players with usb otg support, and only the Onkyo player passed bit perfect audio. It is missing a few features however, mainly folder play support.

15. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Neutron here too, and what is a problem for you it's the right feature for me!

16. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Wouldn't it just revert to the artist tag if the album artist is blank? Like you, I prefer the album artist sorting.

17. xantus

xantus Active Member

Poweramp is the most solid music app I've found on android. Mono sum is important!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  18. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

It does use the Artist as Album Artist, so no...

19. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

A second shout out for Onkyo. I rooted my Android phone, installed Viper4HIFI, and then the Onkyo player. In comparison to Neutron which I loved for it's flexibility, the Onkyo is a more detailed player musically. It just reveals more of the music.

As to cost, I haven't paid anything yet as I don't have a need yet for DSD output. But when I do I would pay for it in a second.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  20. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

I've tried a few and Gonemad was definitely the best in nearly all respects

21. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I'm currently using Neutron Player myself. Love the audiophile sound setting however there are a couple albums that are frustrating me with the way duplicate ghost files keep appearing and when I try to get rid of one the ghost files, it destroys the sequence as if the entire track has disappeared from the Library. In this cast atm is King Crimson's Three of a Perfect Pair which should be 9 tracks now ends up being tripled if not more to 81 tracks!!!! Need to sort it out. :(

Now currently testing out JetAudio as per somebody's recommendation.

22. LST7006

LST7006 Forum Resident

USB Audio Player Pro and Foobar2000 Mobile.

HenryFly likes this.
  23. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Neutron on my android phone is the only player I've been entirely convinced by. In the last three months even more fully user customisable DSP effects have been added. It now offers the following (and this just scratches the surface): Equaliser with up to 30 customisable parametric bands, Crossfeed with three initial presets that can be customised anyway you want, Speaker Time Alignment designed for up to ten individual speakers with three possible settings for each. Three Compressor settings. Tempo and Pitch adjustment (incl. customisable auto pitch correction), and finally three individualisable Surround sound settings.
    Simply mind-blowing sound even without any DSP effects turned on aswell.

24. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

I really wouldn't bother, it can't match Neutron's customisable versatility. That file problem is a small price to pay, isn't it?

FVDnz likes this.
  25. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

I switched to Foobar2000 for two months, pitting it against USB Audio player Pro. Plusses for Foobar are its speed when searching through UPNP/DLNA media servers' folders and Meier Crossfeed. Plus for USBAPP is Tidal integration. Eventually, Neutron Music Player's newest updates won me over. I'll keep checking all three out. What really matters to me is being able to tweak sound settings frequently combined with my media library being a completely seamless set of data across all types of sources (Three external Drives, Internal drive of my PC and the SD card of my phone) only Neutron collects and merges multiple sources into 1 huge 3TB library.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.