Best Anime Series of all Time ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wolf66, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolf66

wolf66 New Member Thread Starter

Lately I watched and really enjoyed these Anime series : Monster, Ghost in the Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist and Neon Genesis Evangelion. I mean TV Series. Not Manga/Comics.

Are there other Anime TV series as good or even better as these out there ?

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Heidi rocked!

:D

3. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

Ranma 1/2 and Kimagure Orange Road are absolutely stellar. Definitely my all-time favorites.

DiabloG and ArpMoog like this.
  4. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I enjoyed Death Note very much, but Fullmetal Alchemist is still tops IMO.

norman_frappe and Kuzronk like this.
  5. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

To add a few more:

Armitage
    Blood+
    Kishin Corp
    Robotech

6. RicP

RicP All Digital. All The Time.

Cowboy BeBop and Serial Experiments Lain are two stone cold classics.

7. PreciousRicky

PreciousRicky Forum Resident

Starblazers aka Battleship Yamato, although the animation hasn't aged well.

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I'm no expert or aficionado by any means, but I'm beginning to think that "Monster" is one of the best serial TV series I've ever seen, of any genre. I enjoyed "Now And Then, Here And There".

I guess you can tell that I get my anime fix from SyFy "Animonday"...

9. japes

japes Senior Member

Star Blazers and Robotech for me.

IronWaffle likes this.
  10. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

+1. I have to give the nod to Starblazers. I loved Robotech but it lost me as it progressed through generations.

BTW: on your avatar, I knew Betty Nguyen when she worked in my market(#94) many years ago. She was always excellent on air.

11. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I liked Starblazers, Gatchaman and Cowboy Bebop.

12. PetSounds

PetSounds Forum Resident

Zeta Gundam(Series) Space Runaway Ideon(A CONTACT/BE INVOKED movie), Zambot III(Series), Daitarn III(Series), Gundam 8TH MS TEAM(OVA), RahXePhon(Series), BRAVE RAIDEEN(Series), Orguss(Series), Macross(Series) etc etc

I really recommend searching for fansubs of ORGUSS a perfect segue-way into the awesome world of rewarding mech shows(I'm not so much a fan of EVA, way too overrated IMO, Ideon is the work it borrows a lot from and is superior in everway)

Zeta Gundam is the most perfect series in every single way IMO, you gotta check out the original Gundam movie triology first tho to really appreciate it(skip the tv series, the movies sum it up better)

13. PetSounds

PetSounds Forum Resident

To those mentioning ROBOTECH, please check out the original series MACROSS(which came out here as the first season of Robotech). If you ever felt Robotech was cheesy at times the original Macross series will please you with its flawless execution, keep in mind a movie was also created titled "Do You Remember Love?" highly recommended

IronWaffle likes this.
  14. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Does Speed Racer count?

15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Only to Mach 5!:)

16. DylansGypsyDavey

DylansGypsyDavey New Member

Huge animation buff here, but have never been able to embrace the distinctive stylings of Anime. The closest I've come to enjoying anime is this Fantastic Four series, which I liked more for the writing than the animation.

17. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

In the last 3 years I have watched about 120 anime series and my personal favorite is Haibane Renmei (2002) - 13 episodes

Other stand-outs are:
    Bakemonogatari (2009 - 2010) - 15 episodes the last of which will hopefully be shown on the official website before the final DVD is released (Japan only) in June.

Cowboy Bebop (1998 - 1999) - 26 episodes

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS (2007) - 26 episodes (the previous 2 Nanoha series are great, too)

Cardcaptor Sakura (1998 - 2000) - 70 episodes

Simoun (2006) - 26 episodes

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni [ When They Cry ] (2006) - 26 episodes
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (2007) - 24 episodes

Monster (2004 - 2005) - 74 episodes (this would make a great "live-action series"; multi-thread storytelling at it's absolute finest)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2006 - 2009) - 25 episodes

My-HiME (2004) - 26 episodes

Stellvia of the Universe [ Uchuu no Stellvia ] (2003) - 26 episodes

Clannad (2007 - 2008) - 22 episodes
    Clannad After Story (2008 - 2009) - 22 episodes (of all the anime I've seen this one is the most emotionally engaging of all. Seriously, this one makes grown men cry)

jriems and Kuzronk like this.
  18. japes

japes Senior Member

One thing that I loved about both Star Blazers and Robotech were wonderful voice actors that helped make these series the classics that they are. I have seen good portions of the original Japanese series (as well as the movies) and I don't find the voiceover work to be nearly as good.

I also like the way that Carl Macek took Macross, Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeda and tied them all together with the protoculture theme. As individual series, I don't find them to be a strong.

The Macross movie "Do You Remember Love?" seems almost like an alternate universe since it exists separate from Southern Cross and Mospeda.

19. wolf66

Thanks for all those, I will begin to check them out.

One series I forgot to mention is "Wolfs Rain", but I stopped after the first episode because it didn't really grab me - maybe I need to revisit it ? But then again nobody mentioned it here so far .... maybe it really isn't so great.

Yes, "Cowboy Bebop" - I seen a few loose episodes- great ! Need to get it. And now I remember there was "Samurai Champoplo" (sp?) too ......

20. wolf66

If you want to try out only one more, check out "Monster" - it made me a fan.
    You missing out man ;)

21. wolf66

Absolutely !

Attached Files:

22. wolf66

Just checked these on Wikipedia - they look a little too "juvenile" for me ..... maybe need to sample a bit on Youtube .....

23. wolf66

Death Note looks very promising ..... Thanks !

24. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Battle of the Planets was great for its voice work, but Gatchaman purists tend to hate it.

Casey Kasem, Janet Waldo, Keye Luke, & Alan Young all lent their talents. Also, Hanna-Barbera HB scorer extraordinaire Hoyt Curtin came up with its theme song.

It also had some very attractive character design - especially their off-duty outfits (striped pants and generally hip threads).

25. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Neon Genesis Evangelion always and forever for me. That show blew my mind and I tend to go back to it once a year, always finding new things in it. Probably my third favourite television program of all time (after Twin Peaks and The Wire).

I also highly recommend Escaflowne. A great "starter" anime to ease people into it. I've often lent it out to friends who would never be caught dead watching anime, only to have them come back after 3 days straight of viewing to borrow another series (usually Neon Geneis Evangelion!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.