Best Anime Series of all Time ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wolf66, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolf66

wolf66 New Member Thread Starter

:thumbsup: It is really terrific ! but "Fullmetal Alchemist" is really not far behind, although I was a bit unsure after the first episodes, but after Episode 10 or so I was hooked ! Only thing I hated, is when they changed that wonderful title song from the first episodes .... that second title song which followed is dreck :realmad:

Speaking of which, is there any way to get those really nice (and sometimes cheesy) Title Songs for Evangelion, Fullmetal Alchemist, Title song from "Monster" etc on compilations or such ?

2. AerosSaga

AerosSaga Forum Resident

3. PetSounds

PetSounds Forum Resident

Southern Cross and Mospeda do not really exsist in the same universe as Macross, it is the equivilent of someone handing you a burnt disc with rolling stones, beach boys and beatles songs on it and expecting God Only Knows to be on the new Stones greatest hits disc. To me Macross works excellent on its own but the real winner of the Super Diemension Centuary shows is ORGUSS, which has never been released in english. I highly recommend searching for the fansubs of the series. Cheers friend :)

4. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

Trigun. Also the only anime where I equally enjoy the English voice cast.

Cowboy Bebop.

5. ReductionDeath

ReductionDeath Member

Apart from the well-known classics such as Gatchaman, Neon Genesis and Full Metal Alchemist, some of my favorites are:

Paranoia Agent (from anime genius, Satoshi Kon) is a bona-fide masterpiece and over-flowing with interesting characters.

The Snow Queen is a gorgeous and extremely touching series. Not geared toward children so much as the young at heart.

Elfen Lied is an intense and occasionally shocking horror series. I still can't get over the fact that one moment it's full of cutesy slapstick moments and romantic intrigue and the next it's chock full of all-out gore and brutality (more so than any other series i've seen). There's some very dark subject matter in this one. It also has one of the greatest themes in all of anime, imo.

All three are must-see series.

I've yet to see Monster but am anxious to do so.

6. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

I think this must be what our grandparents saw when we were all watching Looney Tunes. The most insanely hyper-manic thing I've ever seen in my life. Barely coherent, and seemingly made for people with an attention span of half a second. But oddly cool nonetheless.
    This is one of the most disturbing things I think I've ever seen on television. Absolutely brilliant.

Another one I liked was Kino's Journey. A girl and a talking motorcycle travel through diffferent 'countries', never staying more than three days in the same place. Interesting stories and a strange slightly wistful vibe.

Serial Experiments Lain is interesting too. My friend and I call it "Ralph Bakshi's Last Year At Marienbad". If that sounds appealing, you'll probably like it.

Geoff

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

I'd have to go with old skool stuff like Astro Boy or Prince Planet.

8. wolf66

wolf66 New Member Thread Starter

Anybody know the "One Piece" series ? How is that ? I only noticed that there are quite a few episodes ..... must be a long running series ....

9. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Starship Operators, Ghost Hunt, Clannad and Diamond Dustdrops although the latter two are visual novels come close imho.
    (I usually stick a four month gap between what titles I've seen and that I thinking of recommending to keep perspective).

Go Multi-region - you know it makes sense. :angel:

10. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

FLCL, just wonderful, and proves once and for all that the correct way for a young lady to dispatch those unwanted giant robots that emerge from people's heads is by smacking them real hard with a Rickenbacker 4001 bass. Great soundtrack too.

Tony.

11. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

Folks on these forums may really like "Beck" for its soundtrack and all of the music references throughout the series, even if it wouldn't be considered one of the best of all time. As far as what is best, that really depends on taste. There is a lot of difference between "Lupin the 3rd" (first series), "Super Dimension Fortress Macross" and "Magical Princess Minky Momo", but all three are really good for what they are.

12. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

I've never watched any anime. A co-worker who is a HUGE fan gave me Death Note several months ago. I started watching it this last week and I am enjoying it quite a bit.

I dig foreign films and prefer to have the audio track in the native tongue and use subtitles...this version of Death Note is in English and some of the dialogue is hokey but I chalk that up to "lost in translation".

I'm about two thirds through and don't really care for the most recent plot twist but I'm guessing it'll get better.

Watching this has given me the appreciation to try others for sure.

13. FredV

FredV Senior Member

My two favorite Anime series of all time were Captain Harlock, Space Pirate and Galaxy Express 999. Both very imaginative and inventive. I always likened Harlock as an animated version of 'Star Wars'. I've got some episodes I recorded from the early 80's when they used to be shown on channel 47 in NYC when they switched from Spanish to Japanese programming on weekend evenings. I've also have a few DVD's I managed to find of the Harlock series and a couple of the Harlock and Galaxy Express movies.

14. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Ugh! I misspoke. She didn't give me the whole season and now I'm stuck at a cliffhanging spot. So, it was about the 1/3 mark plot change which I didn't care for but it's picked up again. Now...to track down the last 12 episodes.

15. Kuzronk

Kuzronk Well-Known Member

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    It's not perfect in any way though.

16. The only two I ever got into were Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop, although I never finished either ones. None of the others ever kept my attention.

17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

My favorites were the original 1978 series of Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express 999 and Cyborg 009. From earlier years faves were Astro Boy, 8th Man and Gigantor.

Does anyone know when the new Captain Harlock movie is going to be released?

18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Maison Ikkoku

19. My anime series of choice for when I need a quick, entertaining burst is usually Azumanga Daioh because of how well its episodes work as standalone pieces, though if I have enough time for something more serious I'll watch all of Gunslinger Girl in a marathon sitting.

jriems likes this.
  20. Clannad is a magical series, one of the most touching shows I've ever seen. Go with the Japanese dub for Clannad.

If you want something much darker, go with Fate/Zero. A group of magic-powered individuals team up with legendary heroes from across history to fight for the Holy Grail.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a great series. I'm Haruhi Suzumiya, from East Junior High. First off, I'm not interested in ordinary people. But, if any of you are aliens, time-travelers, or espers, please come see me. That is all!

jriems, nsmith1002 and ShallowMemory like this.
  21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I loved the American versions from the early 80`s,Starblazers(Space Cruiser Yamato) Force Five(Gaiking ect.)Robotech(Macross)and the show where they transmute,at the moment I forget the name.I remember buiding the plastic model kits from Mr.Big Toyland down on Moody Street in Waltham.

22. Kirk76

Kirk76 Forum Resident

That would be either Battle of the Planets or G-Force. Both were Americanized versions of Gatchaman.

23. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Battle Of The Planets!That was it.

24. Dave Valenz

Dave Valenz Member

I LOVE Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Lupin The 3rd: The Castle Of Cagliostro (The last one is a movie though, but still counts as anime right). When I was a kid I liked DBZ and Yu Yu hakusho, if you're into that type of stuff. Fullmetal Alchemist is great too either of the two series, but i seem to remember preferring the first (It seemed a little darker).

25. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Vampire Hunter D and Kimba The White Lion :). I loved Kimba as a kid, Still like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.