Best blank cd-r? Is Taiyo-Yuden still the best? 2014

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Larry Naramore, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

All of the threads are several years old. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

They are what I continue to use and they are sold under the JVC banner now.

Shak Cohen and rxcory like this.
  3. Larry Naramore

Do they still make the ones with the dark blue?

4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

They're kind of a bluish green; AFAIK the only current CD-R's with noticeably pigmented dye

5. Larry Naramore

Are all the Taiyo-Yudens like this?

6. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I don't know, I assume so. Check with one of the volume retailers like rima or media supply.

7. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Taiyo-Yudens have never let me down, and I've used nothing else for many years. Until the day they're no longer manufactured in Japan, I'm sticking with them.

Supermediastore.com is a good reliable source.

8. Larry Naramore

Thanks, that was my next question. Reading reviews on Amazon leads me to believe some people might be selling knock-offs.

9. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

It's been pretty well established that there's a counterfeit market operating. Choose a retailer that's been around for a long time.

10. Kit

Kit Forum Resident

Taiyo's are what I use as well and have been for years now. I get mine from mediasupply.com. I've tried many of the different surface options they offer, and they all appear to have the same dye material. I can't recall the last time I got a coaster. :thumbsup:

JL6161 and wilejoe like this.
  11. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

The darker blue dye is AZO. i buy only AZO dye CD-r. Verbatim is my brand for AZO dye discs. The AZO ones always say AZO on the package
    The others may or may not be any good... particularly 'cheap' 'B' stock Taiyo Yudens Plus counterfeit ones.. If they are cheap, and claim to be Taiyo Yuden.. Hah.

56GoldTop likes this.
  12. moops

moops Senior Member

I've used Taiyo Yudens, local supplier has gone though. I've now found Ritek to be ok.

13. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I wonder what qualifies as "cheap"? The typical cost of a spindle of 100 real JVC/TY shiny back discs is about $27 (perhaps plus sales tax) delivered. Quantity discounts (like for 600 or more discs) are common.

BTW, I think that's quite a bit more expensive than those Verbatims (~$18/100)?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  14. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

TY is still the top dog, and worth the extra expense. But know that they also make a "budget" or "value" line that should be avoided (by all accounts).

Just pay the extra money and order from Media Supply. If your priority is spending The Absolute Lowest Penny, then I can't help ya.

Though I will submit that Verbatim enjoys a pretty-good=but-not-perfect batting average in this house.

15. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I love the Sony's from Wal*Mart, but I don't know who makes them. Never a bad disc and their DVD-Rs are great as well. Just bought more of each.

16. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I have cdrs with plain shiny silver upper and blueish playing sides, are they Taiyo Yuden? Codes I have are PG 7626 on the aluminum ring and AL 773B036580 on the inner plastic, thanks.

Not had much luck with them is the reason for asking.

Beattles likes this.
  17. Kit

Kit Forum Resident

Pulled this from Wikipedia. Might help with questions regarding dye differences

Beattles likes this.
  18. Larry Naramore

Thank you for all the replies. Couldn't make up my mind so went with both the Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim.

19. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I will only use Taiyo Yudens...and will only purchase them from SuperMediaStore.com, who guarantees they are legit. 13 years and I can count the coasters on less than one hand.

pdenny and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  20. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

I keep meaning to give genuine TY a try, but to be honest, I never had a disc fail on me. Well, that's not strictly true, I did have some "Smart Buy" branded discs many years ago, where they design changed, and the new discs just de-laminated, lots of aluminium foil all over and a clear plastic disc....hmm.
    I've used TDK and Verbatim, both from India and both scanned in a drive said they were the same dye and make up. I found that the Verbatim were packaged poorly (bits of debris between some discs) as well as the odd one or two with deformations in the shiny side. the TDKs were all visually perfect.
    I used the two drives I have to do some burn quality tests over time (and recently) and there seems to be no appreciable deterioration. I can't measure jitter though, so maybe the pit boundaries are changing a little.

I have a few old Sony's knocking about which are genuine TY apparently, a few 90 minute TDK's, and a bunch of Taiwanese Verbatim DVD-R's.

21. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Funny, I've been buying Verbatim CD- and DVD-R's from Best Buy for years (never a bad burn, btw) and I discovered last week that at least my two local Best Buys aren't selling that brand anymore; in fact they're just selling Memorex blank media [blech]. Guess I'll have to order online from here on out, unless anyone has a recommendation for a place that sells Verbatim or TY discs here in Los Angeles.

22. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Time to hit my local BB and hoard all the Verbatim's!

pdenny likes this.
  23. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

You can check this by loading into a burner and using EAC.
    Go to: Tools ->Write CD -> CD-R -> Display CD-R Information

juke likes this.
  24. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

[​IMG][/URL

Karnak and richy2times like this.
  25. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The TYs are great, no doubt. But is there no love on this forum for the Mitsui MAM-As? I always though that they were the very best CDRs that money could buy.

joelee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.