Best blank cd-r? Is Taiyo-Yuden still the best? 2014

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Larry Naramore, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

CD-R's aren't for backup, they're for playing...

2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

There are still plenty of CD players in use due to their uniquity and things should be burned in a format so they can still be used. Cars, for example, or older players... not to mention it's still the best way of making mixes for people.
    There are also things that can be preserved on HDD but can't exactly be reproduced without disc media... I mentioned specialized software earlier, but in terms of CD audio, there's CD+G discs, and also the issue of gaps/pre-gaps. There's the hidden tracks stored pre-gap on some discs which can't be accessed as intended without being played from disc.

There's also albums like sgt. Pepper, the white album, DSOTM which don't utilize gaps at all. These might not pose a problem on iPods or most DACs, but when it comes to my car, the built in mp3 playback will not play these back as intended, and these must be burnt to cd.

I could probably come up with other necessary uses. Small and isolated cases, but still necessary nonetheless.

3. richy2times

richy2times Active Member

Sharing music! Youtube, Allmusic, band sites, yea and email sometimes. Then I buy it if I like it. ie, hard copy. Sorry, for being behind the times. 6 cd changer and thousands of cd's. One of these days I might break down. No mp3's though!

4. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I also like having the "hard copy". I have a big cd rack that I made, that is bolted to my wall, and about 600 cds. It's nice being able
    to see them all. No "filler" either, just stuff that I play, not "collect". I do have an iTunes library, and a 160GB Classic, but that is
    just for the car. Memory is cheap, you may want to consider an external drive for your favorite music from your cd collection.

richy2times likes this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My too! I have 2,300 boots, and another few thousand burns from wherever. I have been ripping them to drives. The errors I am seeing when I do see errors is not discs failing, and some starting to go, and oh no, not another one. It's not like that at all.

It's rather a "certian spindle of cheapies have a frightening percentage of discs with imperfect burns, while another spindle from the same brand are 100% perfection.

"Imation" is CD-R a brand from 10 years ago (they may still be made???) which Staples carried. I have a couple hundred of them they play (and rip) perfectly like Japanese made TY discs. And then I have some that are from a bum batch that do not. The maker, CCM is known as the cheapest in the known universe. Their GQ brand as sold at Fry's back 1999 to 2006 or so, were mostly really good. I got a lot of perfect burns. Those discs I don't think are failing with age, as much as they were bad burns (flaws before they were even burned) to begin with. Because I have too many that are coming up 100% accurate. I even have some of the GQs that are a bronze color rather than silver frost as they were originally. Even those are playing and ripping without errors.

It also comes down to burner. I was using (still am actually) the highest end Plextors. Those are mean machines that could almost write a perfect disc on a sheet of tin foil. Discs are stored in dark, and very cool temps. This could also help explain why I am having such high ripping success.

7. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Well - I will continue to condemn it since you are assuming that every iPod user actually uses for iTunes. I don't - and never will - so gapless playback in the car - on our iPods - is simply not possible. Especially in any sort of cross-faded manner

Therefore CDrs (and even good ole cassettes) remain the only viable way for me to get full gapless, fully crossfaded mixes for the road etc.

VP

8. richy2times

Actually, I have probably 50-60 gigs of mp3's that I got from friends when we would swap external drives and share our music. Gotta say it remains mostly collecting virtual dust as I only keep it for sharing purposes.

I, also, have three very large metal racks bolted into my storeroom for part of the cd & dvd collection. Yeah, I tend to hoard! :uhhuh: LOL!

9. richy2times

I don't have an ipod though technically my phone would work. Other than I never get around to putting any music on it!

10. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

This is very true. I burned a bunch of SCD games on an old burner and they would not boot up every time, or run properly when they did, even though they were written at the lowest speed and verified to not have any errors. Got a new burner, burned new copies on the same batch of discs, and they perform perfectly. Its as if the "pits" were formed more precisely.

Now I have to re-burn all the games. Oy. Still, I'm hoping for an m-disc type media.

It's 2014 and you can still get a floppy disc drive. Cheap CD drives will be manufactured well into the future as long as there is a need to read them.

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They said that about zip-drives, floppy discs, 8-track cartridges, 45s, reel-to-reel, cassettes...

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

DVD players are going to be around for a very long time, and they will play CDs when CD players are not as common. Used CD-Rom drives will be around for $5.00 for another 20 years. DVD players will be around for 30 years. It's cheap and sound fantastic to most people. No worry.

Listen people, when they said perfect sound forever, they had no idea how true that would turn out to be.

13. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

The only reason I still burn CD-Rs is because of my huge collection of live music, a combination of fan recordings and liberated bootlegs (it's always been against my principles to pay money for a bootleg--if you take money, you're a pirate). I sometimes come across discs I traded for that are not on TY, so I make a TY copy and throw the original away. Some items in my collection are almost as old as CD-R technology itself, and the TY ones still play perfectly. Will they last forever? No, but I suspect they'll outlive me, and after that who cares?

quicksrt, rbbert and richy2times like this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

When someone starts a thread asking if TY is still tops, to comment that you no longer use cd technology or that the players are not going to be around much longer is sort of a thread crap right?

Seems to happen a lot lately I am noticing.

That "I'm so above that" I don't use it because its so yesterday, I'm over it! When all the op needed to know is if TY is still king of cdr.

905, ellingtonic, kinkling and 3 others like this.
  15. Grant

Point taken. A few of us are guilty of that. I'm out.

16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I've almost always used Verbatim's CD-rs but will try out the TY's - and you can buy 100 OEM's for $43 inc postage,which is less than what I pay for the Verbatim's.

17. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I'm probably beating a dead horse here, and I can't speak as to how good TY is or how they compare to other current offerings, but I'll say it again - TY would be dethroned very quickly if m-disc produced a cd-r media similar to their DVD-r and bd-r media.

If a good cd media is something that wouldn't affect you, congratulations, you've all made your point. And if a good new cd media is something that you have a desire or requirement for then I implore you all to express your interest to the powers that be.

http://www.mdisc.com

https://m.facebook.com/Millenniata?id=46842091096&refsrc=https://www.facebook.com/Millenniata

2 or 3 people writing and requesting a cd-r might not do much, but they certainly won't cater to a market if they aren't even aware of it's existence. If you still burn CDs in 2014 for whatever reason there is no reason you shouldn't let them know.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  18. Grant

OK, I can see the benefits of M-Disc. I may just go out and buy an M-Disc Blu-ray burner.

MrRom92 likes this.
  19. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

20. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the OP in this thread is asking a Specific Question.......

Best blank cd-r? Is Taiyo-Yuden still the best? 2014

Please keep your answers to this specific question!!

21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Does anyone have CD-R's in their collection that no longer play due to age?

Grant likes this.
  22. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Only Memorex branded from the mid-late 1990s have crapped out on me. Taiyo Yudens are still fine.

23. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

24. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Yes. And NONE of them are Taiyo Yudens. My TY's look and play like I burned them yesterday.

I have failures from Verbatim (their downmarket non-AZO discs), Imation, Memorex, K-Hypermedia and some old Circuit City generics.

The failures all seem to be of the light-yellow phthalocyanine dye variety. The label side turns yellow (from silver) and the playing side turns rainbow-green. The Verbatims were from within the last 5 years.

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I suppose then that I should back up some of my CD-r's onto my computer.

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.