BEST BUY and FUTURE SHOP remove all physical releases from store in Canada

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoundAdvice, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Years ago the Best Buy about 30 miles from me had a HUGE CD selection as well as movies and the prices were good. Time marches on.

davers likes this.
  2. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I think you're out of touch.

3. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

I don't know anyone who buys it either. Most of my CD buying is OOP stuff from overseas.

4. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Cheers.

5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm close to a Best Buy and I've only been in three times to look at the CD section. Each times it was half of the previous size. I assume that if I went in today it would be down to an end cap.
    Quite a change from 15-20 years ago when I used to drive across town to browse in an enormous CD section.

GuildX700 likes this.
  6. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Best Buy was responsible for running a lot of mom and pop record stores out of business when they first started carrying a large inventory of CD's at cheap prices. Now that their is not as much profit in carrying them, they completely ditch CD's and DVD's? Why would I ever got there now or in the future? Just another big box BS cell phone store now. Can't wait for them to go under. Their customer service sucks anyway.

7. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

The other day I went to Best Buy in search of a new CD player.

They had about two in stock, neither of which had a remote control which I wanted.

Are the few of us who still buy CDs supposed to play them on the computer now?

John B Good likes this.
  8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

/
    Futureshop carrys Marantz....

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=4d2b3784adc928328c5d284eec5dc789en02

Of course they also have lots of devices that will play CDs, DVDs, Blu Rays, and even SACD in some cases.

9. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Beat me to it.I hope Best Buy goes the way of Circuit City and Radio Shack.
    I don't get why people are so hung up on buying new equipment for CDs or vinyl playback.Craislist,ebay,and estate sales are the only way to buy gear.

10. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Best Buy & Future Shop had a music section???

11. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

How is Best Buy even still a thing? They're so incredibly overpriced it's unreal..

12. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Best Buy used to have a kick-ass music section...I'm talking 90s - 2000s. Also at that time, Borders, Circuit City, and a regional called Lechmere were also weekly destinations where you could get lost in the stacks for an entire afternoon.

Pizza and GuildX700 like this.
  13. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Well, the ones I frequented never had a section worth a damn.

YMMV

14. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Makes me sad (and sick) when I see posts like this wishing for others to lose jobs.

15. old time fan

old time fan Active Member

16. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I used to go to Future Shop quite a bit for DVDs, back in the day. Their selection was ok and so were their prices. Sometimes I got a nice surprise when I found something there that I couldn't find anywhere else.

17. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

What about usa best buy stores? still selling cd's?

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's been at least a half a decade since the selection at BestBuy was much better than what you'd find at Target, i.e. except for a few cornerstone artists, nothing but a hits collection, or a hits collection and one catalog album. It makes me sad that BB is getting rid of all physical music stock, but it's not like there was much to see for a long time now...

It's truly the end of an era. At one time, BestBuy considered music important enough that they bought Musicland just for the synergies.

GuildX700 likes this.
  19. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Yep. The one I used to frequent also carried a lot of very nice box sets at reasonable prices. I actually bought one of the Art Tatum Pablo box sets (the solo piano one) there. It's kinda unreal to look at the pitiful music section at any Best Buy store now and think that they used to stock anything by Art Tatum, let alone a box set.

ParloFax and GuildX700 like this.
  20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

For sure, for sure!

I found some really hard to find CD's at Circuit City and Best Buy back in the day. I'd spend as you say, an entire afternoon there the selection was so vast.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Well.... we didn't have much if any mom and pop shops within a 30 mile radius, so back then Best Buy was a godsend for me for music and movies, as well as some fairly decent audio equipment.

22. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Amazon is your friend.

23. The music section at Canadian Best Buys always sucked, but it was quite a different story in the US.

Peter_R and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  24. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

:agree:

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm sure the people who work there can't wait for them to go under, too.

We're talking about the lousy CD selection at Best Buy. Do we need to wish that they go out of business? That would put a lot of people out of work, and in today's economic climate, would leave huge stores empty for who knows how long only to become eyesores. Yeah, that would be awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.