Best Buy Gets Exclusive On Rolling Stones DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reechie, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1993496

Best Buy Gets Exclusive On Stones DVD

The Rolling Stones have struck an exclusive deal with Minneapolis-based retailer Best Buy to carry the band's new "Four Flicks" DVD set, containing more than 50 songs and previously unreleased footage. The four-DVD set, which will be released Nov. 11 on TGA Entertainment, will sell at a retail price of $29.99.

A Best Buy spokesperson tells Billboard.com that the length of time it will exclusively sell "Four Flicks" is still being determined but that the company will carry it exclusively through at least the holiday 2003 season. Best Buy is now taking pre-orders on its Web site.

The first three DVD discs in the set will be of concerts from the band's 2002-2003 Licks world tour at Paris' Olympia Theatre, New York's Madison Square Garden and London's Twickenham Stadium. The fourth disc will include two previously unreleased documentaries: "Tip of the Tongue" (chronicling preparation for the Licks tour) and "Licks Around the World," a behind-the-scenes look of the tour in progress.

"Four Flicks" will have several live versions of Rolling Stones songs that have never been officially released before on DVD, including "Hand of Fate," "Love Train," "Monkey Man," "Nearness of You," "Rock Me Baby," "Rocks Off" and "Worried About You."

The DVD set will also include features such as band commentary, a custom setlist, "Select-A-Stone" camera zooming capabilities, and a "Backstage Pass" option that gives a backstage-angle view of the band playing from a few feet away.

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Well this is just great.....there are no Best Buy stores in Hawaii!

:realmad:

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

It says they're taking pre-orders on their website.

mud-

4. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

I hope this isn't the start of a trend ...

Also, I wonder if they'll have any bonus extras if you buy in the store vs. from the web site. A lot of times they seem to package something extra with purchases at their stores.

5. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

6. reechie

Yes, but watch out for that "free shipping". I tried it once, it pretty much means shipped via mule train. If you want it on release date, that's not the way to go.

7. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

No doubt, the price is right. But something about releasing a product through one retailer, and a big box store at that, bothers me.

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

reechie, I'll be picking this up at my local Best Buy since I'll get charged sales tax even ordering online. It's still a great deal for those (like Tyler) that don't have access to a B&M Best Buy.

mud-:D

9. Matt

Matt New Member

Neat package from what was supposedly a good tour, but the exclusive deal reeks.

Leave it to the Stones to take marketing, rock & roll, and corporate partnerships to the next level (beer companies, e*trade, etc., etc.).

10. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Are the Stones the only ones who do this?

mud-

11. reechie

I think as usual, The Eagles were the pioneers in this field :rolleyes: :mad:

12. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

They all try to make as much money as they can no matter what method they use. Dylan even sells bumper stickers at his concert with his lyrics on them.

If people don't like the Best Buy exclusive you can wait til after the holidays to buy it elsewhere. I mean, you do have a choice including not buying it at all.

13. Matt

Matt New Member

mud,

The Stones aren't the only ones, but they up the ante each time. I think the last tour was used to launch a special concert subscription service (I forgot who ran it, but again, another large corporation seeking to reach out to other fields), where if you wanted first dibs at the best seats, you had to enroll in this service.

14. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Yo Matt, I won't disagree with you at all. The bottom line here is the money. Most people (including we forum members) wouldn't turn down a way to make more money is my point. If they couldn't get away with it they wouldn't do it. That's just the way it is. As for me, I'm buying this the day it comes out. Exclusive or not, this one's a great deal just in time for my birthday.

15. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Before the Eagles U2 gave BB a two week early window on the "Elevation" DVD. And it was still the Best price at 17.99.

16. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I hate these deals too...especially since I know a couple of folks who run small mom and pop record and/or video stores who are, in essence, shut out of offering the latest from a major artist, or trying to sell something that is missing bonus items the exclusives offer.

17. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

I KNEW of a couple of folks who USED to run mom and pop laserdisc/DVD stores, but were put out of business by this kind of crap....

18. Muddy Holly

Muddy Holly Senior Member

HMV store(s?) boycott Stones releases

In my travels through a local HMV store today I noticed the Stones section empty. An employee told me the store (and I'm presuming the chain?) has decided to pull all their Stones material in protest of the Best Buy/Future Shop exclusive on the Four Flicks DVD.

19. Muddy Holly

Muddy Holly Senior Member

HMV store(s?) boycott Stones releases

In my travels through a local HMV store today I noticed the Stones section empty. An employee told me the store (and I'm presuming the chain?) has decided to pull all their Stones material in protest of the Best Buy/Future Shop exclusive on the Four Flicks DVD.

20. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Re: HMV store(s?) boycott Stones releases

A noble idea but not too brilliant. Someone looking for some Stones material knows they won't have to travel far to find it and who knows if they will decide to come back to HMV after being forced to look elsewhere?

21. No stores here either. Just one in Edmonton. :mad:

But now that Best Buy U.S. owns Future Shop in Canada, I wonder if Future Shop will also be carrying this DVD?

22. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

On today's Billboard site

In other news, Canadian retailers HMV Canada, Pindoff Record Sales and Sunrise Records are pulling all Stones product -- including CDs, DVDs, videotapes and accessories -- from their stores for an indefinite period of time, effective today (Oct. 28), Billboard Bulletin reports. The companies say the move is a response to the recent announcement that the veteran rock band's four-disc DVD set "Four Flicks," due Nov. 11 from TGA Entertainment, will be available exclusively through retailer Best Buy.
    HMV Canada operates 100 stores. Pindoff Record Sales operates the 102-store Music World chain, and Sunrise has 32 stores in Ontario. HMV Canada president Humphrey Kadaner warns that a similar policy will be in effect for any act that allows its products to be sold exclusively elsewhere. "If we're not good enough to sell some of their product, we're probably not good enough to sell any of their product," he says.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.