Best Buy's secrets for thriving in the Amazon age

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

Yeah, price-wise, Amazon is not nearly as good as they used to be. Plus, I believe Best Buy price matches Amazon and they have pretty good sales, especially around the major holidays. I'm sure the order online/pickup in store has helped them too; I know I've used it a couple of times. I also think phone sales has helped them a lot. Every time I'm in there, it seems there's someone buying a phone.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I think there will always be a demand for a Best Buy type store. If I am buying audio or video equipment, I want to see it live. My local non Magnolia Best Buy got me hooked on Bowers and Wilkins speakers and I bought my first Onkyo AVR there.

They don't always have the best trained sales staff, but I have found that they have a few people who are knowledgable. I try to seek them out when I am buying new stuff.

We have another big box store here in FL called Brandsmart. They are always busy, and I mean busy, and their pricing and selection can't be beat. However, you have to do your research and know what you want. Their salespeople are strictly order takers.

The Revealer likes this.
  3. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Sounds like someone's cooking the books. I stopped going to Best Buy years ago because they never have what I need in stock. Their shelves are always empty.

4. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I have purchased more electronics at Best Buy/Magnolia than Amazon for the following reasons:

1. The price is typically identical or very close.

2. If I have a problem, it's much easier to return something to a store a few blocks away to exchange it than having to box something up, take it to a UPS store, and await a replacement.

3. I can actually look at and/or listen to products in advance.

I think Amazon's early business model -- sell everything for less than almost everyone else -- was great for helping them grow their brand. I'm still a Prime member for a variety of reasons and I do still shop on Amazon a lot, but I would never purchase a big-ticket item like a TV from them.

5. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

I have a BB close by. I shop it when I need things they carry. I bought my Bluesound Node2 from them. I went in showed them an online price that included shipping and tax. Asked if they would meet the bottom line cost and they did. I bought a new gas dryer from them and had it at matched price plus a gift card delivered and installed by licensed tech within 24 hours. I have bought items and tried them out only to return them as they were not to my liking, never an issue. That's customer service. When I asked about items they did not have (audio) the Magnolia sales person did a web search to find it and gave me a competitive price saying they could get it. I try to support them with my business as they are a retail asset that is a dying breed.

6. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

I usually see a 50/50% mixture of employees and customers.
    That can not be a good thing...right?

7. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

One of my son’s closest friends works in a Best Buy each summer when home from college. We had a frank discussion about the brands they carry when he came over with some nice cables he got for me with his amazing employee discount.

Based on this discussion he explained that Best Buy sells what is sometimes known in the industry as “low-fi and mid-fi” level products.

These are designed for customers both on a budget, ie entry level products and then a level higher to show a customer what a higher budget may afford in quality and features.

Overall, Best Buy products are reasonably priced based upon their nationwide ability to stock and distribute products. Of course their overhead being brick and mortar and with employees and associated costs raises their overall cost as compared to Amazon. There are things you should definitely buy at Best Buy for your system, they have good quality cables intermediate level receivers and some good book shelf and floor speakers.

8. The BB here just remodeled. They got rid of the musical instrument section and reduced the DVD/Blu-ray section to two very small racks. So I'm done, those are the two things I went there for.

9. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Our local BB is great for appliances and certain "personal" electronics (phones, PC's, portable music etc.). We just purchased kitchen and laundry room appliances for our remodel and our daughter's new home. We got lucky with 2 knowledgeable guys that worked very hard to mix and match our purchases between our BB accounts to maximize their gift card promotion, which we then applied directly to our purchase to further discount, then financed 24 mos. same as cash! They've also been very good with service and returns over the years.

F1nut likes this.
  10. Huh, I didn't see any mention of the pesky sales reps bombarding me with questions regarding my cell phone provider and whether I want satellite tv within the first 60 seconds I enter the store. Surely a key to success.

Galley likes this.
  11. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

.... white noise.....I just walk by....

dirtmert likes this.
  12. I went into a couple of Best Buy recently. First time in a few years and mainly to check out the new 700 series B&W speakers in their Magnolia store within a store. The high end dealer here hasn't got them in yet.

I auditioned them in both stores but only via Tidal digital. No turntables to allow analogue auditioning.

I've been researching these new speakers and they had only been out on the floor for a few days. The sales guys knew less than I did about them. And it's not like they have a really huge variety of somewhat higher end speakers . It's their business to know this stuff.

When I buy I'll go to the indie and ask for a discount

13. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

probably thriving because, and it's smart, they're closing down so many stores. They will match amazon prices though, as long as the item is shipped and sold by amazon. I've even been able to negotiate with them on things that weren't on amazon.

14. McGuy

And I did get my Bowers & Wilkins CM6s speakers from them. Of course they don't have them in stock, had to order them but I did get great financing with 0% interest. Also got the matching stands for them. And come to think of it, even though my store had a Magnolia showroom, no CM6 speakers to listen to.

Mazzy likes this.
  15. Yeah if I wanted white 702 s 2 they would have to special order. I told them I wanted white and they told me they don't come in white.

So I showed them that they do.

McGuy likes this.
  16. McGuy

think I had the same issue when I asked about white, ended up with black after all since it fit better with my system.

17. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Even in their heyday I would not have considered Best Buy to be good at marketing stuff. Airhead employees + poor setup of demo items + poor choices of which products to carry + poor stocking of even the items that they supposedly do "carry" = a store that has pretty much always been "better than nothing." They survived because there often were no local alternatives, or the alternatives were even worse.

18. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

There are still more touchy feebly people around than many think. I frequent B.B. and my last three TVs have come from there. I also buy lifestyle stuff like my August locks and Nest, as well as some Hue lamps. They have done a good job adding new things that many may not even be very aware of if not for the displays. I’ve bought some audio from Magnolia, but not lately, as I am pretty loyal to my local dealers.

My biggest issue with BB is their PC choices. They just don’t carry much that appeals to me for laptops. They also went all in on photography, but have sine backed off to the more basic stuff.

I would love to have a local B&H but that’s not happening, so B.B. will have to do.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

BB, back in the day , had a great selection of sacds

PTgraphics and BGLeduc like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Does that really happen? I don't go to BB a ton, but I don't recall ever being pestered by employees when I entered.

There's always the "security" guy near the front - he says "hello" and that's the extent of my employee interaction as I head to wherever I need to go in the store... :shrug:

21. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Now that Amazon charges tax, there is more price parity with Best Buy. Still, Best Buy rarely has what I want — CDs. When they do, I’ll buy from them if it’s the same price and I want it that day.

22. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Back in the day, so did other shops. :rolleyes:

23. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

I'm from Minnesota, so I used to hold Best Buy higher than other stores, simply because they're a Minnesota company. But for the past 5+ years (probably longer) I barely go anymore. I went to buy my wife a cell phone about a month ago, and I knew exactly which one I wanted, as I found it online. I stood around for about 10 minutes with no help, and finally an associate came my way. When I told her the model I wanted to buy (which wasn't visible on the floor) she quickly said "we don't have that one". I told her that their website says it's in-stock, and then she sighed, opened up a locked cabinet and pulled out the phone.

That kind of thing shouldn't be happening in a store that is well-known to be struggling, despite what this article says. I filled out a survey with detailed information on what happened - no response.

24. It certainly happens at the Best Buys near me or else I wouldn't have mentioned it.

25. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

The one nearest me is typically busy. I purchased my last several TV's from them and will continue to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.