Best Buy's secrets for thriving in the Amazon age

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BradOlson, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

In that situation I would've simply gone to Micro Center (not sure if you have one nearby). They match prices, stuff is in stock, and checkout is fast.

2. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

This deal is a Best Buy exclusive. These Easystore hard drives are sought after because they contain a NAS hard drive which you can remove from the enclosure and put in your computer or home NAS. Normally those drives run around $300.

3. triple

triple Senior Member

Where I live, most people by their apple products at the local market or grocery outlets.

4. Snarky. I like it. :tiphat:

5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Umm, it isnt the drive that makes a NAS.

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

$180 for a WD Red 3.5" drive is a very good deal. That's a drive that is $275 right now on Amazon. And $309 at the Western Digital online store.

Tthe Easystore brand is a Best Buy exclusive. A unique WD brand that is only available at Best Buy. So you can't price match the Easystore drives against other Western Digital drives at Amazon or Walmart or other retailers. Exclusive brands and models like that is a game that big retailers like to play in order to keep you from being able to price match. The Easystore drives also have a shorter warranty than the fully branded WD drives. Lower price at Best Buy, but no free lunch.

I have a couple of Easystore portable drives. Buy them when they're on sale at Best Buy.

My NAS currently has two 6TB WD Red drives in it. 12 TB of storage set up in JBOD mode. I'm almost out of space. Will be needing to upgrade to one or two 8TB drives sometime soonish. The two 6TB drives will become backup drives.

Time Is On My Side likes this.
  7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Or, they dropped their bricks and mortar price to compete with Amazon and other online retailers maybe? Good on you for buying from them however.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Haven't stepped foot in a Best Buy in ages, at one point Circuit City nearly ran them out of business in our area, then suddenly Circuit City closed.

I really have no reason to ever go into a Best Buy again.

They were the go to place for me in the 1980's for CD's, movies and some audio stuff, but once they got rid of their upper tier audio and quit haggling on their prices I never went back. They had nothing that interested me anymore.

Wisconsin had American TV & Appliance which was HUGE in the late 1970's-80's, but they went out of business about 10 years ago, they had several stores in Wisconsin at their peak.
    They had a VERY large speaker room, full Adcom line, in fact I got all my Adcom from them when they had their employee discount day for everyone which was well over 25% off.

If I needed something and the discount was not on at the time I could always count on this sales lady there to give me her employee discount, on the sly.

Their closeout room also always had some fantastic deals.
    I got my $1,100 MSRP Sansui CD-X711 CD player in their closeout room brand new for $185, as well as my Harmon Kardon CD491 cassette deck, MSRP $950 for $170.
    I used to stop in weekly to check that closeout room for killer deals like that.

Those days are over. There are few to no brick and mortar anywhere near me that offer anything at a reasonable price that would draw me in these days. Sad, I miss window shopping for audio/video stuff and snagging an occasionally killer deal.

9. contium

contium Forum Resident

My buddies and I would run around to stores checking audio equipment out. Planning our next purchases. But Best Buy carries nothing that interests me besides TVs. I walk in and walk out. Nothing interests me even their Magnolia rooms.

GuildX700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.