Best cartridge you've never heard of: the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Finally pulled the trigger on a PTG/II. My Dynavector XX-2 was really starting to reveal it's wear. I'm expecting a slight drop in a couple of areas, but I really wanted to try this cart. Can't wait to check it out.

Is anyone pairing this with a Classic? It seems like it will be a bit light for the arm with the standard weight. I have the headshell weight. Will the longer screws fit with the headshell weight? Thanks

2. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Is this a high output MC? Would my vintage McIntosh preamp be able to do it justice? I'm an AT441mla user.

3. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

It is a low output moving coil cartridge; specifically 0.3 mv. For most preamps, including my Audible Illusions, a step-up or dedicated MC preamp is required.

AT33PTG/II Audio Technica »

fortherecord likes this.
  4. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

So to follow this up, I received and installed my cart last week. It just barely works without the headshell weight. After aligning it and having the counterweight pushed all the way up, it comes in at just a hair over 2g. Wish all carts are threaded. I love my soundsmith headshell screws.

Sound-wise it sounds good. Very clean and even across the spectrum. Which was expected. Obviously it still has a few hours before it settles in, so I'll hold off on any more comments. So far so good, though.

mreeter and marblesmike like this.
  5. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

ye
    yes, it certainly attractive.

6. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

What's the latest? Curious as I'm considering putting one of these on my Classic.

7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

All I can tell you it's one of the best audio investments I've ever made. Apart from the wonderful sonics and quiet playback, records which I've long considered to be beyond repair, especially on closing tracks on each side, now play without distortion or crackle -pointing the finger firmly at the lousy tracking abilities of my Linn Arkiv and Linn Troika before it, cartridges that were very fussy about what they liked to play and what they didn't.

Then there's the price.

Heckto35 and Seafinch like this.
  8. Dan Stroborg

Dan Stroborg Member

I have two of these carts and they sound fantastic. Give them 20-50 hours to break in.
    One is sitting on a 500gbp TT and the other on a 3000gbp TT. Some days I almost can't tell the difference, they are that good.

marblesmike likes this.
  9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I love mine, about 1.5 years in. It's lucky to get more than a few hours a week, and it still sounds great on my Thorens TD 147. I think I'm getting ready to start looking to order its replacement for when that rainy day comes and it needs to be replaced. At this point I see no reason but to get another AT33PTGii.

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

....especially since you get a 35% discount.

marblesmike likes this.
  11. marblesmike

How do I get this 35% discount?

12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

When ready to get another you return that to your local AT and (as it states in the booklet) you only pay the price of the replacement stylus, IIRC. Typically 35% off.

13. marblesmike

I don't think the AT33PTGii is a USA model so I don't think they'd be able to honor that. But I'll certainly look into that.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Doesn't seem to matter. It's included in the booklet and simply says to contact your National AT HQ and that that's what they would do. Besides, the model was since added to AT Europe...how about AT USA ?

Update: yes, it's definitely now included in the EU site, where previously it was a Japanese-only model. I seem to recall reading that the US arm said that they could deal with it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

By the way, you can trade it in against any of their cartridges. The US site has the AT33SA, for example.

marblesmike likes this.
  16. culabula

culabula Unread author.

In fact, scroll back and take a gander at post N° 417, where the booklet is quoted.

17. marblesmike

And the post below says that the AT33ptg/ii isn't available in the US, so they can't offer higher than an AT33EV.

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

SA?

Anyway, I can't remember the source, but I believe I read that AT US can replace a AT33PTG/II for you, despite not officially supporting it. I can't confirm that, though.

19. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I like it. It's tracking and dealing with surface noise as well as my XX-2 did. It has a good even sound. It lacks just a bit of the body in the midrange and the highs can be slightly harsher on my system compared to the XX-2, but I am very satisfied with it. I say that when comparing the same pressing. I played my US OP of Ghost Reveries the other day, and it sounded just a bit thinner top to bottom compared to playback with the XX-2. I also really, really liked my XX-2, so the AT has a tough job, but it's holding it own nicely. 95 or more % of the XX-2, for 25% of the price.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Seafinch and marblesmike like this.
  20. marblesmike

Ah Ghost Reveries :) The original LP is the only way to go for that album!

kannibal and Seafinch like this.
  21. Seafinch

Nice. That's good to know as I've considered the XX-2 too. How do you feel like it pairs with the arm on your Classic?

22. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

No complaints at all. It is a bit light so I had to push the counterweight all the way up to get the VTF to 2gms, and it's a bit short so the base is very low, but I was able to get the tonearm flat, so no big deal.

Now I used to run my XX-2 closer to 2.2, or max recommended VTF(as recommended by VPI) and due to counterweight size, I'm running the AT at .2 less. The AT also recommends the same range of VTF and the Dyna. That could at least partially account for the lack of body difference i'm hearing.

23. Seafinch

Good to know. Maybe you should add some of the soundsmith EZ screws, I think they'd be able to get you where you need to be.

24. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

That would be awesome if I can swap out my SA for another at 35% off

TLMusic and marblesmike like this.
  25. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

That may make things more flexible for sure. I have EZ screws, and used them on my XX-2 as it was a thread mount cartridge. Sadly they do not have a long enough thread shaft to work with this cartridge. I looked on soundsmith and didn't see that they offered longer screws and nuts for this kind of cartridge mounting. Maybe I missed it.