best cd player for ~400 bucks

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Beatlelennon65, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

What is the best new cd player that I can get for around 400 dollars. I am looking for a single disc player that will probably go with a Denon receiver. Sacd playback isnt a must, but I would really like it to have that feature. I would be willing to spend a little more if something is available that is "lights out", but 400-450 will probably be the limit.
    Thanks
    Rob

2. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

3. James RD

James RD Senior Member

I've heard good things about the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C.

4. Jay

Jay New Member

What do you think of its HDCD capability?

5. audio

audio New Member

I think you'd be WAY better off using the $400 to buy a used player that's a couple years old that original sold for three times the price.

6. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Don't know what the prices are like in the US of A, but the Cambridge Audio 640, the NAD 542 and Rotel RCD-02 are among the better affordable CD players. One of my writers, who reviewed both the NAD and Cambridge, would go for the Cambridge if it were his money.

7. joeriz

joeriz Forum Resident

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

denon DCM-380 - $299.00 and it has HDCD.

9. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

I have an Azur 640c....best audio investment I have made in a while.

10. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

I might consider buying a used CD player, but I really dont know where to buy one from and I would be concerned with how much it had been used over the last 2-3 years. Any ideas on used CD players and where to buy?
    Thanks

11. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

I've read some very good things about the Sony 2000ES in that price range. SACD capable (5 disc, not single play though). Check oade.com - great store, friendly and knowledgeable staff. If you call them you can talk to one of the knowledgeable staff, and they are honest and reasonable.

12. mtodde

mtodde New Member

:edthumbs:

I bought the Onix XCD-88 about 6 weeks ago and have been very happy. I am going out analog via RCA to my Rotel. As much as I love my Denon DVD-2900 for SACD and DVD, its Red Book performance left a lot to be desired.

For $321 with shipping the Onix is worth a listen.

13. DanK

DanK Forum Resident

I have a Sony DVP-NS755V. Single disk, SACD and DVD, $129 retail.
    Compare its SACD and redbook to anything under $1000.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I agree. If you could find a used Sony C555ES or Denon DVD-2900 in your price range, you'd be good on both CD and SACD fronts.

15. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I'm looking around for a used CD player as well. Other than eBay and audiogon are there options for buying used audio equipment out there?

16. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Excuse my ignorance, but what specifically is "re-badged"? Is it an "imitation" or are the guts an actual Music Hall CD-25? :confused:

17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

It can be so confusing. Here's a brand list I've put together of players audiophiles seem to like in the $500 and under range:

Onix, Cayin, Shengya (aka Vincent), Shanling, Jungston, Korsun, Kavent, Azur, Rotel, Denon, NAD. Any others? Finding a reputible dealer for some of these (Chinese) models is another story! There are many stories of folks that were burned...

18. beep

beep Senior Member

I agree

19. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Hi this is my first post.

Try this...a Sony SCD-CE595 modded by Tube Research Labs w/ tube output stage. This player has been getting good reviews due to its astonishing price point and seems to be tweaked just the right way for this mod. Total Cost should be less than $750 for everything.

I own this player and have been breaking it in hard. Can tell you that it sounds great now and plays SACD's. Should have the mod done by end of summer if it works out right.

Good luck!

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I have to respectfully disagree. I have used a number of the budget Sony SACD players, some with and some without DVD playback. While these players are all excellent values, I've found that the weak link on all of them has been CD playback. The 'NS755V is a very good DVD and SACD player for the money, surprisingly good, in fact. However, it does not compete with the better CD players at $1000 and under. CD players from NAD, Arcam, and Rotel will beat it, for example. Just my $0.02.

21. KeithH

Hello and welcome. So you are currently using a stock 'CE595? I bought one last year and was pleasantly surprised by the performance with CDs and SACDs for the mere $150. I ended up returning it and getting the 'C2000ES, which is a bit better and has the 5-year warranty. In the end, you can't go wrong with either player.

22. KeithH

I don't know if you can get a used 'C555ES for $400, but if you can, it's a heck of a bargain. It originally retailed for $1700. Construction and performance are excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.