Best Cheap Record Cleaning Machine

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Neilson77, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Whats the best cheap record cleaning machine? I can't see the sense in spending hundreds of pounds just for a RCM. Looking at spending £50 maximum. Seen the Knosti Disco Antistat but it looks like this will ruin the labels as it does'nt seal the label area when cleaning. I've been using a non scratch dish washing pad and Fairy washing up liquid with water and also Isopropyl Alcohol. Contrary to what some think, these methods don't ruin your Vinyl, they just don't seem to be able to remove the deep ingrained dirt in the grooves and they're still noisy after i've cleaned them.

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The FRiNgE and G E like this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Record Doctor basic model, KABUSA basic model, or the least expensive VPI will serve you well.

4. SATLOS

SATLOS Forum Resident

5. SATLOS

SATLOS Forum Resident

http://www.gmanalog.com/dandy-hydraulic-cleaning.php

Looks like the price has gone up since I bought it, but it's still probably the best bang for your buck option out there... I now make my own cleaning fluid (based on a recipe found online) because the fluid replacements can get up there in price when you're cleaning lots of LPs.

6. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I use a KAB EV-1. It's a pain to use but it gets the job done.

7. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Go for a Spin-Clean at that price.

8. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I use the knosti antistat with l'art du son as the "bath".

I have never tried any other forms of cleaning (apart from cloths etc) but it certainly cleans up quite a few ticks and pops.

I don't think I could ever justify spending much more than £50 on record cleaning so this works for me.

And I've never noticed any label problems.

I've had labels that have got a little wet around the edges but not noticed any long term damage.

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I used a Spin-Clean for years before buying a RCM and it's well worth the price. Use it per the instructions that come with it and you'll get great results. The only thing that I changed was using microfiber towels instead of the SC towels.

auburn278 likes this.
  10. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

No brainer

auburn278 likes this.
  11. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

I have a Spin Clean and think it was a very good investment. They really stand by their product, too!

As ssmith said, microfiber towels work better than the included towels.

12. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

And after you've had the Spin Clean a while add the EV-1 from KAB-USA to vaacum dry you LPs instead of the cloths.

johnnypaddock and oregonalex like this.
  13. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I think the vpi 16.5 is the best value even though it is over $600 now. easier to use than the less $options, lasts forever, etc.

14. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

I was thinking of doing just that. However, instead of a EV-1, I'm considering a Record Doctor. So, my plan is to use the Spin Clean and then use the Record doctor to vacuum / dry the record. Would that be that over-kill though?

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Lucky for you the price of the Spin Clean seems to have come down. It was edging up toward $100. Now they're back to $79.

16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm really liking the Okki Nokki too.

17. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

I wouldn't think overkill, only that what you're paying extra for is the vacuum motor. For $30 extra how good a motor are you getting? What do you do if/when the motor goes out? No moving parts in an EV-1 and the vacuum is as good as what you choose to use.

18. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

My Record Doctor - built for Audio Advisor by Nitty Gritty is now 5 or 6 years old and has cleaned 700 records. It's still going strong. Does everything I want it to do > no complaints.

19. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

In my experience the GEM Dandy easily outperforms the Nitty Gritty. Highly recommended.

SATLOS likes this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I can just see the look on my wife's face when I tell her I need to use the sink and whip that thing out! Hahahaha!

cwitt1980 likes this.
  21. action pact

I have no doubt the VPI is a superior product, but I disagree that it represents "best value" compared to the $199 Record Doctor, which I suspect provides the same results at less than half the price and with slightly more effort. Am I wrong?

22. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

the VPI is easier to use and works better IMO. It seems like it is probably more durable. The record doctor is not a bad machine but if you have a lot of records to clean, the manual rotating gets old, as does the flipping/dripping wet records to vacuum them. In the long run you will use the VPI more and the cost per record cleaned will be lower. If you own say a few hundred LPS the record doctor is probably all the RCM you need though.

23. action pact

Good points.

I rarely clean records in batches, so I hadn't considered that. Does the VPI do both sides at once?

24. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Oh yeah, it's a bit of a clunky beast for sure. It's pretty cheap and cleans like nobodies business, but it's definitely not as simple or pleasant to use as many of the vacuum cleaners on the market.

25. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

No, just one side at a time. I think the nitty gritty pro will do both sides but it is > $1K

The nice thing about the VPI is you can put whatever scrubbing pressure you want while the disc is rotated. The design flaw is putting the cleaned side on the potentially dirty cork platter after you flip it to clean the other side. In practice I find that as long as you pre brush the dust off of the very dirty LPs, this is not a major issue. My first RCM was a record doctor and the VPI is just way better in actual use. I do usually clean 10 or more records in a batch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.