Best Connery film outside of James Bond

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Matt, Mar 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

The Hunt for Red October is the finest Sean Connery picture ever made. His presence in this film elevates an excellent script already accompanied by solid cinematography and an absolutely splendid Poledouris score.

For the record, the spectral coachman in Darby O'Gill was far more scary to me than the banshee.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  2. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

To me he remains one of the great underrated treasures and one of the sadly retired like Gene Hackman.

The Man Who Would Be King is one of the great films, the best pairing in history, and can never be replicated. But his pinnacle is absolutely The Hill, a film long forgotten in both his career and Sidney Lumet's...which is a shame because it is both unforgettable and one of the greats.
    Hunt for Red October is another he steals the picture in, and of course Last Crusade which he not only steals the movie but absolutely breathes life into an otherwise dull and bloated mess.

Bobby Buckshot and Vidiot like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Rock

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Yes! :thumbsup:

5. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

"Finding Forrester" is a favorite of mine.

6. Maxjex

Maxjex Well-Known Member

the name of the rose
    the hunt for red October
    the untouchables

7. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Great movie!

8. arbogast

arbogast Clapboard Person

I can't believe no one has mentioned "The Great Train Robbery" yet. Wonderful performances by Connery, Lesley Anne-Down and Donald Sutherland highlight this romp that has Michael Crichton directing from his own novel. It's one of my favorites even outside the collected films of Sir Sean.

Worst Sean Connery film? The worst one I've seen was "Wrong Is Right." I'm embarrassed to say I paid to see it on it's first release. It was a horrible mess!

9. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Another vote for 'Outland'.

10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Red October. He seemed to become the role with such ease

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

C'mon.
    Has to be >>>>>
    >>>> ZARDOZ

jupiterboy likes this.
  12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

All his best movies far surpass Bond which is extremely average at best. Another vote for The Man Who Would Be King.

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yes, just saw it this year. It's a fun film, but I can't say Sean flexes his acting chops in it. He does do the train walking sequence by himself, which is cool. The ending to me always felt like it was soldered on, to give such a light fluffy action film a happy ending. It certainly wasn't the historically accurate truth.

14. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

No love for First Knight?? :shake: :shrug:

15. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

SO many! Not really any bad ones IMO, but I guess I have to go with The Rock, if for no other reason than the great line about "doing your best", winners, losers and the prom queen!

16. AJH

AJH Senior Member

The Hunt for Red October and Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.

Dr Faustus likes this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I really like First Knight

Linger63 likes this.
  18. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

It's between The Man Who Would Be King and The Untouchables.

19. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I liked Marnie 1964

sean

20. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

I recently screened Outland a few weeks ago and I do believe that that is his finest performance. Amazing role, amazing movie! I also love his performance in Hunt for Red October. He fell into that role as Captain Ramius. Still one of my favorite Submarine films and Tom Clancy Adaptations.

His other roles feel like trying to recapture the quotable lines that his James Bond films had:
    The Untouchables: "Go Home and Schleep Well" (Even though he did win the oscar for that role)
    The Rock : "The Winners go home and F*$# the Prom queen"
    Last Crusade: "You call this Archeology" (Also the worst perforce of his career)

Of course I'm talking about later Sean Connery. I still haven't seen "The Man who Would be King", "Robin and Marian", or "The Anderson Tapes". But his career post bond and pre-Untouchables had been pretty hit and miss. There were great films (Like "MWWBK") but also films like Meteor and Zardoz (which s a pretty fun film but still WTF?)

21. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

probably The Untouchables. it's one of the few Connery films where I'm actively rooting for his character to die.

23. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Sean is really way to prolific to even ask this question! I have at least a half-dozen I really like beaucoups.....The Untochables, Time Bandits, Zardoz, Woman Of Straw, The Man Who Would Be King, Outland, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade, Highlander....uh, maybe it's a dozen!

24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

moneymoneymoneymoney
    The Anderson Tapes

25. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Here's how I'd rank the films I've seen:

1. The Man Who Would Be King - he should have won the Academy Award for Best Actor here; it was that good
    2. Time Bandits - only a cameo here, but a good one in what seems to be a relatively forgotten film (except around here, of course!)
    3. The Highlander/The Name of the Rose/The Untouchables - a tie for 3rd place; these, at least, could be considered excellent supporting role performances, and it actually seemed like he was playing the same character in all three of 'em!

Honorable mention:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - he was just about the only thing good in this turgid mess of a movie, but not enough to merit repeated viewings from me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.