Best David Bowie Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Any of the Berlin trilogy albums. Actually just about everything from 1972-1983. A great period.

fredblue likes this.
  2. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

Pin Ups. Songs Mick Ronson was born to play, Aynsley Dunbar on drums.

notesofachord likes this.
  3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

No Hunky?

4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Station to Station

Adam Bosman likes this.
  5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Champions League Qualification - Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Diamond Dogs
    Europa League - Aladin Sane, Station to Station, Low
    Mid Table - Pin-Ups, Young Americans, Heroes, Lodger, Scary Monsters, Let's Dance

Division 2 - the first two and anything after Let's Dance

6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I used to feel the same way but then I focused on the actual singing - the technique as opposed to the performance- and it gave me a different appreciation for the track . For the people who don't think David Bowie is a technically-proficient vocalist ( and they're out there ), have a listen to that track again. He can sing.

The Nina Simone version is, of course, stunning.

D.D.

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

The lack of concurrence is amazing. It really speaks to the quality of Bowie's work. I'll bet if the number ones got tallied up it would be a tie of about six albums.

8. Aguirre

Aguirre Member

Station to Station was the one that got me into Bowie (specifically after listening to TVC-15)... so it's dear to my ear-- but Man Who Sold the World, Hunky, Ziggy and Diamond Dogs... *sigh* they are all so brilliant.

yesstiles and sunspot42 like this.
  9. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

Station to Station. For years, I would have said Scary Monsters, but StS is the one I come back to time and again. As others have stated, there is an embarrassment of riches from which to choose.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  10. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Can't choose the best, but my favorite is Space Oddity (or whichever title you call it). It was my first Bowie album, and very edgy for my 1972 12-year old mind.

sunspot42 likes this.
  11. Thin Man

Thin Man Forum Resident

Electric blue, obviously. That's a much easier question.

12. Thin Man

Thin Man Forum Resident

I'm going to buck the trend and say Scary Monsters.

Of course, it's impossible to choose; Ziggy, Low, Station to Station and others are equally brilliant.

It's interesting to see that Low gets so much love here. Where were you when the album came out? Although I love it too, it was not (and is not) one of his best sellers.

Naturally, the album that gets savaged here, Young Americans, and the album that barely gets mentioned, Let's Dance, were by far his best sellers.

Solace likes this.
  13. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I really like Earthling.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  14. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

I just realized I don't have Bombers on Vinyl, I'm not happy. Whats the best version, 1990 Ryko?

15. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Thank you for mentioning Scary Monsters! Finally!! Oddly rather unappreciated, despite being the standard to which his post 1983 work is judged. I love it: it's got a great 'new' angry sound, almost heralding the new decade; it's got a blind-blowing first side (amazing run of singles) and a second side that complements it almost perfectly; it's got one of the best covers and artwork ever IMO; and his vocal performances on it is so expressive (It's no Game, Teenage Wildlife & Ashes to Ashes in particular).

The second side is interesting as it's a great run of lesser-known material, but still really interesting (Kingdom Come, Teenage Wildlife etc.). As Lady Grinning Soul was to Aladdin Sane and Bewley Brothers to Hunky Dory, it's in the hidden corners of his work you often find some of the most interesting stuff. Yet another reason why Bowie was, is and always has been my Number 1 man.

[​IMG]

3rd Uncle Bob and yesstiles like this.
  16. I love Station To Station for side 1 and Low for side 2. I'd put Aladdin Sane and Scary Monsters equal third.

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

No love for his later work huh? I just find it surprising you would lump Outside and Heathen with his 80s work. In EPL terms I would not relegate those sides, but Tonight and NLMD certainly would be!

18. Rocat

Rocat Do you realise, this world is totally fugazi.

Outside is a masterpiece, IMO...

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  19. cakeface

cakeface Forum Resident

1- Station to Station
    2- Low
    3- Heroes
    4- Aladdin Sane

mdm08033 likes this.
  20. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

21. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Alladin Sane

22. LadyGrinningSoul

LadyGrinningSoul Forum Resident

The Man Who Sold The World or Hunky Dory.

23. VinyLen

VinyLen Forum Resident

Hunky Dory

sunspot42 and GentleSenator like this.
  24. rwil

rwil Well-Known Member

I've purchased Station to Station five times on three different formats (and have my sights on the 3CD), so I guess I have to choose that one.

25. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

How has this thread gone to 9 pages? It only needs one thread/answer.

Station to Station

oh, I forgot about Scary Monsters...and Ziggy. Oh and Low too. I liked Reality a lot...

BlueSpeedway and Bananas&blow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.