Best DVD releases of 2003

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Togo, Dec 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phantom409

Phantom409 New Member

There's much from 2003 I still need to watch, and there were a couple of intriguing selections on this thread so far that I missed. THE LOONEY TUNES set would top my list, however, here's a couple of my 2003 favorites that weren't mentioned:

THE SHERLOCK HOLMES COLLECTION, VOLUME TWO - The Universal Sherlock Holmes series with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce is my favorite film series of all time. THE PEARL OF DEATH (with Rondo Hatton!) and THE SCARLET CLAW - are my two favorites from this series and they are on this set. Beautifully restored by the fine folks at the UCLA archives, underwritten by Hugh Hefner! I believe the films will be available individually, but I couldn't pass a single one up.

THE LON CHANEY COLLECTION - One of Lon Chaney's best films (THE UNKNOWN), two other very fine Chaney films, an excellent documentary (underwritten, in part, by Hugh Hefner!), and an interesting partial reconstruction of LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT.

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR - My favorite performance by Rex Harrison and one of my favorites by Gene Tierney, a great romantic ghost story. I like all of the Fox classic titles I got this year (and I plan to pick up the one or two I missed): chock full of extras often with dual commentaries. Runners-up were SUNRISE (free!!) and THE MARK OF ZORRO, and biggest surprise was LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING with all of the great extras.

BAND OF OUTSIDERS - Another great year for Criterion releases, my favorite Godard film (and second favorite New Wave film) tops the list. I only saw about a third of Criterion's 2003 releases (the Fassbinder BRD Trilogy is winging its way to my doorstep now), but other favorites were THE KILLERS double feature, MY LIFE AS A DOG, LA STRADA, THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER, and FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS (my least favorite Gilliam film, but oh those great extras!).

WISEGUY (Season One, Sonny Steelgrave arc) - A pleasant surprise, even if there are some music alterations and it's priced higher than if it was released by a larger company. Eighties tv at its finest, and may even be topped by the Mel Profitt arc which was released this week. I really enjoyed the Stephen Cannell filmed interview, hope they get him to do a commentary.

CRIME STORY: SEASON ONE - Another superb, underrated 80s tv peak. Very few extras, not even chapter stops, but a compelling season long struggle between Lt. Mike Torello and Ray Luca, overseen by Michael Mann, with great guest stars, and overripe dialogue. A pleasant surprise is that I also think they retained all of the original music. Picked this up for around $35 from Deep Discount DVD when they had their Christmas sale; but it was the most attractively priced set of the year, wherever you get it.

24: SEASON TWO - Great pulp fiction, the stuff with Kim is so outrageous it's necessary comic relief. Kiefer Sutherland anchors the show (who'd of thunk it?), but the heart of the show is the outstanding supporting cast: Dennis Haysbert, Xander Berkeley, Penny Johnson, Sarah Clarke, Carlos Bernard, and Reiko Aylesworth. Overall, great commentaries by various castmembers in this set and the best "making of" documentary on a television show I've seen. The ALIAS sets are close runner-ups.

THE MONKEES sets - The greatness of these sets is mentioned on another thread. Rhino finally seemed to understand in 2003 that people want extras on their DVD sets: and both of these are chock full of 'em, especially the Second Season. Plus they nudge out the Dick Van Dyke sets for best packaging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.