Best entry into McIntosh gear (used)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aberyclark, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I just ordered a new pair of Omen Defs from Zu. I was looking at Superflys, however, Sean at Zu told me the Defs play well with pretty much any ss or tube amp. I currently have an Elite receiver. I've always wanted to give McIntosh a try. Of ourselves I see used gear for big $$$ ($5,000 +). I also see some ss and tube amps under $1,200 in vg condition. I'm not into the receivers. What would be a good entry point for McIntosh amps under $1500?

2. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Since you are moving on from an Elite receiver, you could try the MA6200 integrated amp (no autoformers, but very versatile and warm-sounding when fully up to specs):

http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/en/MA6200.htm

I liked it enough that I essentially repurchased it in the form of the MAC 4100 receiver (MA6200 with MR75 tuner) to power my second system :thumbsup:

3. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

An MC250 amp would be cool with a C26 preamp would be a cool system and you could add a second amp for more power as budget permits.

4. aberyclark

Thanks. The MC250 is one I find quite a bit at affordable levels. Plus to be able to bridge to mono (so I can add another amp) is nice. What would be a good non-Mac pre (with remote) that pairs well with macs?

5. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

i like a mc2105 at about $1K used.

[​IMG]

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Seconded, a superb sounding, reliable, well made amplifier. The bargain McIntosh amp for bang for the buck. MA 6200 that role for an integrated McIntosh amp. The MAC 4100 the McIntosh receiver for the best buy in McIntosh. MAC 1900 excellent, but some parts are getting scarce/unobtanium. The Balance pot on a 1900 is darn near impossible now. Mine is in severe need of replacement (beyond Deoxit). McIntosh has none.

7. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

The OEM will make more but only if you order a lot. That's the problem with rotary switches and switch/pot concentric assemblies. And where they would do 100 years ago, now they want ten thousand, or pay a prototype fee-maybe $200 each.

Isn't offshoring great?

8. thewho

thewho Forum Resident

I upgraded from my Pioneer SX-950 to my current McIntosh setup of a MC2105, C28, and MR78 (which wasn't necessary but the guy I bought the set from had all of them). It has been a great setup for me for the last 4 years!

McGuy likes this.
  9. Bart1

Bart1 Forum Resident

I have a MC2105 as pictured above that was recapped by Terry Dewick a year ago and its wonderful. In my vinyl/tube system I have an MC225 that is also a fantastic amp. I think your speakers are very efficient, so either of my amps or the MC250 mentioned would all work wonderfully for you.

10. Telefunken_U47

Telefunken_U47 Member

I picked up a MC2200 for 500 bucks recently.
    A closet classic! Stunning sound, i must say.

11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

You need to be careful about Mc amps, some of them (newer) have low input impedances (10k ohms). Some pres may not like that low of a load.

BUT, seems like the MC2105 is 200k ohms, great for about any preamp.

12. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

+1 for either a 6200 or 4100. Nice intro to the Mac house sound.

13. bliss53

bliss53 Forum Resident

I had a 2105 for awhile. I went back to tubes. Both vintage Mcintosh and Conrad Johnson. The tubes are more money but having heard the Zu Druids on SS and tubes, I much preferred tubes. The tube effect of midrange richness was what I preferred. There may be a bit more control with SS on the lower end but not enough to sway me to SS. IMHO.

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've been thinking about vintage McIntosh too. Would I better off with a C20 or C22 and how would one of these preamps match up with a MC2105? I could save some money by going with the C20 but the C22 seems to be held in high regard.

15. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, were you using a solid state preamp or a tube preamp when you had the 2105?

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What about the MA6100? I have seen them go for under $1K on Ebay. How does it sound?

17. aberyclark

Are there any known "dogs' among Mcintosh amps through the years?

18. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

It's a matter of opinion of course. A lot of people think the early solid state amps that use a quasi-complimentary output section sound pretty rough, but then again others think they are the best sounding of the solid state amps they made. That would be the MC250, the 2300, a few others. They wouldn't be my preference.

There was one model of late (meters, black glass, Power Guard) large power amp that didn't use autoformers and a companion that did, the 7200 and 7270 as I recall. Which was which I don't recall off hand. Some liked one and some liked the other.

Most people think the tube amps sound better than the solid state ones for the most part. I like the 40/240 best myself followed by the original 75/275 if they are updated with modern parts in both cases. But then again some really like the big solid state ones. I don't think there is a really bad one in the bunch. But any of the really big ones is a poor match for very efficient speakers-all Mc amps do better with medium efficiency speakers in my opinion.

19. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

Anyone looking at an original c22 needs $4k, and the reissue was trading at $2300 last I looked! :eek:

20. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Wow.

The C22 is unique in one respect: It's essentially a copy of the Marantz 7/7C.

The Marantz was, dare I say, more expensively built, with higher grade parts, and its EQ (tone controls) was implemented in steps as opposed to using pots.

The Marantz was reissued by VAC about ten years ago.

If you don't want the tone controls and the switching you can buy a clone, prebuilt or as a bare or stuffed board, on e*ay or elsewhere very reasonably. I personally like the switching and the tone controls, especially if, as on the Marantz, they are effectively out of circuit when in the neutral position.

21. ssmith3046

I decided to go with solid state McIntosh and just bought a C29 from Tom Manley and a MC2105 from a dealer in Portland. I love my Fisher 500C and will continue to use it but I wanted a McIntosh system too.

22. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Great call! :righton:
    I wish I had a c29 back when I had the 2105. My only choice was the c28 at the time.
    Both are nice preamplifiers, but I've heard better things about the c29

Congrats

Steve

23. ssmith3046

Thanks Steve. Another beautiful day here in the Duke City!

24. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

:righton:

Shame on me for never looking at peoples details.
    Great to know there is another audio nut in the city.

Steve

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I've had a couple of MC2002s and a 2255, and I loved them, great amps. I have a MC7200, great amp. I've heard the 7270 on numerous occasions and can recommend that amp as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.