Best Fairport Convention Pressings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I can answer my own question. For this 2017 issue, they have reproduced the original Island "block label" (and have done it well, too). This edges me towards a purchase but would love to hear about the sound.

2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

3. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

I’m really tempted to buy this but I’m really wondering how the audio stacks up?

4. mrgroove01

Any news about the audio on the 2017 Unhalfbricking vinyl pressing on Island Records?

5. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of original pressings of "The History of Fairport Convention"? Don't have the cash to plunk down on all their original albums, but I simply must have "Sailor's Life", "Sloth" and "Matty Groves" on wax. Just getting into the band now and this is the some of the most truly psychedelic **** I've ever heard.

6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I have several copies and you simply cannot go wrong with the pink rim pressing.

fourfeathers likes this.
  7. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Picked up a copy of the 2017 today.
    Nice black poly lined inner sleeve, perfect glossy black 180g vinyl and good reproduction labels (better than the Nick Drake pink label)

Sound nice, vinyl is very quiet and free of ticks.
    Nice and open sound, not harsh or fatiguing and good eq. Bass and percussion is very solid also. Tape hiss is present and correct, I’d say it’s from a low generation analogue source or high res digital, either way is fine with me if done properly. On the whole more detailed better imaging than my cd version.

Only flaw is the first track has what sounds like some tape wear, the centre of the image drifts left and right a bit, but hey-ho at least it’s honest.

Hope this helps
    JJ

8. mrgroove01

Thanks! That’s extremely helpful.

9. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I just picked up the 2017 UK LP pressing of Unhalfbricking. Flat, quiet vinyl. Nice label and cover. Poly-lined sleeve. MP3 download code.

Sounds excellent. Big soundstage. Plenty of separation and no distortion or smear. I have no other copies to compare it to, but have listened to enough vinyl to know when something is good. This is good product.

mrgroove01 likes this.
  10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I agree. Sounds fabulous, lovely to look at the 1969 repro label of which I once owned an original and dead quiet vinyl.

Not only that, it holds its own admirably with an original Pink Label, and a Dutch Pink Rim -the latter is superb and an utter bargain at the 10€ I got it for.

mrgroove01 and KeninDC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.