Best Films of 2017? Opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GodShifter, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Wind River

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Rotten Tomatoes compiled the Top 100 of 2017.

Criteria: Movies with 40 or more critic reviews vie for their place in history at Rotten Tomatoes. Eligible movies are ranked based on their Adjusted Scores.

Top 100 Movies of 2017 - Rotten Tomatoes

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just watched The Post. Nice movie. Classy. Well done. It's no "All the Presidents Men," though, and it doesn't do anything to try and goose up the story or action to make it more "commercial" so it's purely an intellectual exercise. I'm sure the material only appeals to an educated, older crowd. The Pentagon papers are probably a certain bore for those under the age of 50. But what a nice change from the blow 'em up school of cinema. I guess the raison d'etre is the freedom of the press angle, because I can't think of why he'd make it now, otherwise. Meryl Streep was really good. Funny that Bob Odenkirk and David Cross are in it together. Hehhe. Mr. Show Goes to Washington. SOLID performance from Odenkirk. Nothing flashy, just well done with a one or two stylistic nods to 70s cinema and zoom lenses which was fun. I like this better than Spielberg's other recent "important" films. Much less hyped up than "Bridge of Spies". Didn't like Hanks' accent particularly, wasn't great especially when you're going head-to-head with a Meryl Streep accent.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  4. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

My favorites of movies I saw at the theater:

Dunkirk
    It
    Super Dark Times
    3 Billboards
    The Shape Of Water
    I, Tonya
    Logan
    Split
    A Ghost Story

plus the usual popcorn superhero stuff- Wonder Woman, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Star Wars, Spidey

Bombs that I saw include Justice League, Ghost In The Shell

alexpop likes this.
  5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

A twist to me is when you are led to believe one thing all along until you are told the opposite. So in Sixth Sense that is a twist as we are (very cleverly) led to believe that Bruce is alive until it is revealed he is dead at the end. It completely changes the way you view the film as well.

In Split, if I assume rightly what you refer to, it's not a twist but more of a plot development.

And there is a huge difference between a plot taking a strange turn and a real twist!

When I saw the ending I didn't think it was a twist but more of a case of where MNS decided to go with the story and there was nothing before that really ruled out that outcome, the viewer is just assuming by themselves we are in a 'normal' world where normal rules apply.

6. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I think it's all semantics. Po-tay-to - po-tah-to.

This writer/director is famous for doing this. Sadly he's famous for doing it lamely.

The Happening... supernatural seeming events drive people to commit suicide. Surprise... the trees did it. Carried by the wind.

The Village... 19th century village townsfolk hide from mysterious monsters that plague their town. Surprise... the village elders are just preteding to be monsters since they all live in a modern national park.

The Visit... kids go on a vacation with their grandparents. Surprise... they aren't grandparents, they're two murderous escaped mental patients.

In Split... we're going on the basic premise that those on the screen are regular human beings... like everyone else alive is. Surprise.

We're not disagreeing so much as labeling it differently. This guy has a formula. And he's running it into the ground. It stopped being shocking after his second or third movie.

GodShifter and Jim B. like this.
  7. Of all the 2017 movies I've seen, here's what I think:

I really liked these:
    Un Beau Soleil Interieur
    The Beguiled
    Loving Vincent
    Lady Macbeth

Those were good as well:
    The Only Living Boy In New York
    Gerald's Game
    Murder On The Orient Express

This one was a bit disappointing:
    Wonder Wheel

I didn't like these:
    Paris Can Wait
    Running Wild

GodShifter likes this.
  8. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

"Call Me By Your Name" is beautifully made, acted and directed. You can tell how much love went into this little movie from everyone involved.
    It transformed myself back to being 17 and falling in love for the first time. It's so authentic. Regardless of your sexual orientation, anyone who has ever been on a journey of self discovery and love should be able to relate to this movie.
    I hope Timmy gets the Oscar. The picture deserves one..........

SuntoryTime, GodShifter and ralphb like this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dunkirk 6/10
    3 Billboards 9/10
    Logan 8/10
    Split 7/10
    Wonder Woman 7/10
    Thor rag 7/10
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 -6/10
    Spidey 5/10
    Justice League 7/10
    Ghost In The Shell 5/10

GodShifter likes this.
  10. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

This was the best by some distance for me, absolutely flawless.

11. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

My two favorites of last year were:

The Big Sick: An excellent (and now Oscar-nominated) script by real world married couple Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon, loosely based on their own experiences. I love Kumail on Silicon Valley and I found this movie so real, so natural, so emotional, funny like real life is and just excellent all around. Holly Hunter and Ray Romano are both superb playing Emily's parents.

Coco: I'm not really a Pixar fangirl, but this one was gorgeous and extremely touching. My husband and I were both moved to tears by the ending. The characters, especially Miguel and Hector, were wonderful and the animation was absolutely amazing. My favorite Pixar films tend to be the ones about human beings rather than anthropomorphic toys/buys/monsters/cars and this one nailed it.

I also saw some superhero films. My favorite was Spider-Man: Homecoming, which I found delightful.

12. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

This is the only Best Picture nomination I havent seen yet. It's on my computer, will probably watch tonight.

I'd say the 2017 Oscar Nominations for best picture have been underwhelming at best. I enjoyed "Dunkirk" and "Get Out", not sure they're "Best Picture" material though.....And thought "The Post" was awful and only nominated because 3 of Hollywood's favorites are involved (ok, not AWFUL but by no means a great movie, especially compared to an excellent recent journalism drama, "Spotlight"). The two I probably liked the most were "Lady Bird" and "Darkest Hour". Compared to rest of the bunch, definitely thought "I, Tonya" was 2017 Best Picture worthy.

Also think if "Get Out" is nominated, why not "Big Sick" or "Wonder Woman"? Those were both really good movies in categories that usually don't get Best Picture nominations...

GodShifter likes this.
  13. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

:thumbsup: !!

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Same here.
    I wish Michael Stuhlbarg had at least gotten a nomination for supporting actor as the father, that speech he has towards the end of the movie is a breathtaking piece of acting.

John Adam and beercanchicken like this.
  15. beercanchicken

I like Stuhlbarg. He was in 3 of the Best Picture nominations this year! I wonder if he'll be the next Phillip Seymour Hoffman....

John Adam likes this.
  16. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

His Arnold Rothstein was one of the best things about Boardwalk Empire.

GodShifter and beercanchicken like this.
  17. beercanchicken

I always called him Rothstein until I finally figured out his real name

18. No.1 for me was Phantom Thread. Also liked Shape of Water, Get Out and Wonder Woman.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Of the handful of films I’ve seen, The Last Jedi is easily the best. Honorary mentions include Blade Runner 2049, The Post, Get Out, War for the Pkanet of the Apes and Wonder Woman.

The Shape of Water is notable for its performances, cinematography and music, but the story was derivative. It did not deserve a Best Picture nod, in my opinion.

Morpheus and GodShifter like this.
  20. Because the story in the Last Jedi was not derivative. It was basically a remake :tiphat:

GodShifter likes this.
  21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Of?

If it is a remake, The Last Jedi has the advantage of being a great film, whereas The Shape of Water is merely a good film. All of these views are subjective of course, but the thread title specifically states that opinions are wanted, and that is my very humble opinion. May the Force be with you. :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Tree of Life and GodShifter like this.
  22. Its basically a combo of Empire Strikes Back and the Return of the Jedi. I sort of enjoyed the Last Jedi bit it wasn't original at all. Yes Shape of Water is very influenced by several earlier films and genres but more original in it's vision. A very good movie but not great.

GodShifter and Encuentro like this.
  23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Three days 'till the Oscars.

If 'Get Out', 'Call Me By Your Name' or 'Phantom Thread' wins best picture, I'll be very pleased. Downright impressed, even. If 'Three Billboards' wins, I may well yell loudly enough to disturb my cats. Anything else on the nominee list gets it, then; meh. If either 'Call Me By Your Name' or 'Get Out' win both an Oscar AND an Independent Sprit Award, I may go so far as to get tipsy in their honor.

24. beercanchicken

I'm curious, why did people dislike Three Billboards so much? I also wasn't a big fan and wonder if it was disliked for same reasons as mine...

25. I want an upset. DDL over Oldman.

Of course GARY should be next in line and his performance was over the top great and showy.

Day-Lewis was more intimate and nuanced. But amazing. Sure he’s already won three times but in my book, it was the best male acting performance of the year.

Ghostworld and GodShifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.