Best Films of 2017? Opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GodShifter, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Excellent point. Name one since. And I mean *comedy* not a drama with some funny parts sprinkled in. For instance, Amadeus would count if the lead character wasn't driven to madness and death by the end of the movie. Ditto Forrest Gump, where his best friend is killed, his other best friend is maimed, and his love interest dies.

Go backwards from there. The Sting... maybe. It's pretty darn funny (and one of my favorite movies.) Oliver? Defiantly The Apartment. Not a whole lot else.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Crash?

3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

[​IMG]

del Toro won best director and best picture. So; that happened. Okay. This is the first sci-fi film to win best picture, yes?

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

I liked Wilson from last year.

5. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I saw all of the nominated films and though I didn't think Call Me By Your Name was one of the best, the end speech/talk by Stuhlburg was the greatest moment/piece of dialogue in any of the films nominated. Probably also one of the best in any film in a long time...

93curr and ralphb like this.
  6. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

It was delivered so naturally, and yes what a great message!
    It's a very quiet "film." There are no great conflicts, a very basic, but beautiful story line. I can understand why Call Me By Your Name didn't win best picture. It has some pretty real competition.
    But I am impressed that any artistic piece of cinema was nominated for an Oscar.

ralphb and 93curr like this.
  7. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

I agree with every word of that review of `Three Billboards` Like `Slumdog Millionaire` it is a total mystery to me how it could get nominated for any Oscars.
    It contains a ludicrous amount of unnecessary swearing, and violence, (note the word unnecessary), the son calling his mother a `****` is not for me!
    Likewise as a `Brit` I was supposed to cheer for `Dunkirk` (Only the English can make a disastrous defeat seem like a victory), but I just found it underwhelming where nothing much happens, like the Admiral just pacing about on the running board for the whole film. Did like `Bladerunner` though, and `Thor`, have not seen `Shape of Water` yet, but I am a `De Toro` fan....so we live in hopes.

Morpheus and benjaminhuf like this.
  8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

My top 3 movies of 2017 were:

1. Logan
    2. Wonder Woman
    3. It

Of the pictures that were nominated for Best Picture, I only saw Dunkirk, which I thought was mediocre at best. It didn't even make my top 10 of 2017. I had no interest in seeing any of the other Best Picture nominees except for Get Out. Never got around to seeing it before it left the theatres (first run and 2nd run theatres.) My brother went and saw it at the local discount, 2nd run theatre and he told me he thought it didn't live up to the praise it was receiving in all the critics' and fans' reviews. After he told me that, I decided to skip it altogether until I have a chance to catch it on one of the movie channels.

Morpheus likes this.
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Get Out is a good film no doubt. The cast is great, great script and a good ride. However I don't think it is really an 'Oscar' film, its good but not that good. I think Split is better, and Blade Runner didn't get nominated and I think on every level that's a masterpiece.

I think people may see Get Out now and be disappointed as they will be expecting something more, which is a shame, as its definitely worth seeing.

Nice Marmot and Encuentro like this.
  10. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

What about 'Birdman' from a few years ago? I'd call that a comedy with some dramatic elements. All time though, you're right, there haven't been many.

Going backward, other than the movies already named, I'd add 'My Fair Lady,' 'Around the World in 80 Days,' and an argument could be made for 'Marty' as well. The two Capra winners of the 30s, 'It Happened One Night' and 'You Can't Take It With You' are certainly comedies. There may be a few others I'm forgetting, but I think that's most of them. Many of the musicals that have won over the years occupy a gray area, as they often have strong comedic elements.

11. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I agree. Get Out was hardly Oscar worthy. I watched it after seeing it on so many lists and thought it was just ok. I'm not a big keep up with everything as it's released so I'm still catching up on 2017 movies. I just watched Brawl In Cell Block 99 and thought it was ok, too. Of the two, I liked Brawl better and am still thinking about it. It's really a hard film to like but you still get the feeling it was something different. Get Out was pretty forgetful. I'm not saying that Brawl was Oscar worthy either. I just think is was more memorable of a twisted suspense film than Get Out; but I'm not sure I'd watch either of them again, that's how far from the top of the rating scale I feel they both were.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  12. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Mother!

93curr likes this.
  13. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

The next two on my list to see are It and I Tonya.

I've see Wonder Woman and only remember pieces of it, so I guess it didn't rate that high with me. I thought Berlin Syndrome was ok but I'm hardly calling it a best of 2017.

The last, most recent movie that I really liked was The Handmaiden from 2016. It's worth owning a copy of.

14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Blade Runner 2049 should have gotten a Best Picture nod.

Jim B. and Morpheus like this.
  15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I’m making my way through the Best Picture nominees. I’ve only seen 4 so far: Get Out, The Shape of Water, The Post and Lady Bird. Of those 4, Lady Bird is the best, in my opinion. Next on my list is Call Me By Your Name.

Lightworker and John Adam like this.
  16. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I think this was the best film of the year by far. It was a beautifully done film. As I watched it I was hanging on everything, and I mean everything. I could almost feel the water they were swimming in and taste the food they were eating (especially the peach!). The house they lived in with the the way Elio has to enter his room by the bathroom is like another character unto itself. Watching it I was taking everything in, not just the feelings and emotions of the characters (which were powerful) but everything down to the furniture in the house or the clothes people where wearing, or the feel of riding an old bicycle down an Italian street, or reading a book in the sunshine by the water. It was simply a wonderful film that doesn't come along that often.

ralphb likes this.
  17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Ouch. That explains why I didn't got to the movies much in 2017. No need for me to 'feed the beast'...

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Call Me By Your Name definitely made my Top 3. But, I saw so many movies last year...I have no idea which other films I'd name with it.
    Lady Bird is pretty-far up there. although if it had turned sinister like Philomena did, I would have nudged it to #1; great movie, if a tad trivial (but my axiom is, "any film is better with Greta Gerwig in it", and technically, Ronan seemed to be "playing Gerwig", soooo...)
    Red Turtle? Ooooh, yeah...Miyazaki roped and tied and dragged back into the studio he put on top. Even with minimum involvement, DAMN, Ghibli can rock it!
    Logan, I think I liked better than most; perhaps they don't get the concept of Old Man Logan...
    Blade Runner 2049 will take years of removal from its' artificially-annointed "event" status, to really see how significant it was (my first impression is, it's The Color of Money to the original Blade Runner's The Hustler, only with a dash more, "Chewy! We're back!" to it).
    Wish I'd taken the opportunitiy("-ies") to catch Wonder Woman and Dunkirk in a theater; I fear I will have missed something when I finally catch them at home. Makes me wonder if I can stop writing this long enough to catch Black Panther before it slinks out...
    Billboards I could have taken or left - yeah, great film, but I already saw Billy Jack a long time ago...
    Victoria and Abdul taught me something not in the history books previously, and that really counts for something in my book...nudges it into Lady Bird territory for me.
    Oldman aMAZED me this year, although it took me out of the era, distracting as it was trying to recognize it was him "inside" Churchill.
    Shape Of Water probably belongs up near the top as "cinema"; story-wise, there was nothing new and actually pretty predictable. Looking forward to the sequel, in which Sally Hawkins changes her character name to Mera, and marries Aquaman.

Did I miss any? Sorry, I'm still out in the lobby, trying to get this fake-butter-squirter working...

GodShifter likes this.
  19. The Post, clever yet accesible explanation of some of Cold War US dirty laundry. Stellar performances by Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, but that was to be expected.
    Blade Runner 2049, I was very very exceptical about a Blade Runner sequel and I ended up liking this one more than the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.