Best Generic Stylus for an Ortofon OM 5e Cartridge?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thebunk, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member Thread Starter

In a number of threads folks have mentioned there are good generic styluses out there to use to upgrade a stock Ortofon OM stylus. The problem is looking on eBay there are a ton of generics and it is unclear what styluses have good build quality and those that do not.

If I am looking to upgrade to an OM20 like stylus, are there any that people can recommend specifically via eBay or via an online store (I am in Canada so they would need to ship here).

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions!

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I can vouch for Thakker! This is in regard to the Shure V15 MK3
    I see no reason why Thakker should not perform well in regard to the Ortofon.
    EVA are also excellent. So good it begs the question
    " Why the original costs so much,

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Spend the money and get thee a genuine Ortofon Stylus 10, the best and most noticeable upgrade in the OM line.

4. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I bought a generic stylus for an Ortofon OM a few years ago, with low expectations. My expectations were met.

5. thebunk

Thanks for this. Will research Thakker a bit.

Anyone else have any suggestions or am I better off getting an OM 10 (think an OM 20 is out of price range at the moment).

6. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Just get the OM 10.

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Thanks for the OM10 recommendation, I will keep it on my list when the stylus goes out of my OM5e on the uturn.

8. Thorensman

In my case generic is the only option. I will try SAS ( (Jico)one day as its very
    Highly regarded,
    The Thskker works excellently.
    Not having heard the V15 with a Genuine stylus i cannot say that Thakker is as good as or better than original.
    I cannot buy original, but you can.
    Probably best .
    On the other hand if generic is a lot cheaper you could try one, if its as good as. Well done . You are saving money.
    It means you can change stylus
    Frequently and preserve your
    Precious records.
    If you are disappointed. Well you tried!

9. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool Forum Resident

Is the OM20 a viable upgrade path as well with the OM5E?
    Or does the body of the OM5E not warrant a stylus of that quality?

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Those OM bodies are all the same AFAIK, only the styli are different.

OldSkoolFool and E.Baba like this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Thakker is just a store. The styli probably come from a major OEM like EVG or Jico. Thakker could also just be sending out generic Pfansteil (sp?) styli. No idea, but you could ask them.

12. Thorensman

Jico are what Thakker supplies, it on the box .

patient_ot likes this.
  13. Peter Baird

Peter Baird Well-Known Member

I have never heard the OM5E but I upgraded by 10 to a 20 with easily noticeable, and pleasing, results. But the 10 was good, I just have no idea how much of an upgrade it is from a 5E

14. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

15. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

OM 5e to 10 is a big improvement, like going from a 1996 Honda Civic to a new model. The jump to the 20 is like stepping up to an Accord. I haven't gone higher up to the 30 or 40 (which are probably Acuras).

Heckto35, Shak Cohen and Jelloalien like this.
  16. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

If it helps I sell tonar branded styli and a large majority of their styli are manufactured by jico.....the om30 included (which I sell for $35cdn).

I used to use a oem om10 and switched to the jico om30 and was very impressed with the upgrade, for an aftermarket.

I also have a oem om10 I just got if interested. Not sure on hours but looks good under a scope....

Brand new: Ortofon OM30 Phonograph Needle (turntable stylus) | eBay

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  17. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

These won't fit the om bodies.

18. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Then why do people recommend the OM styli for the Dual ULM series? It would seem that they are interchangeable. Weird.

19. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

20. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler

I bought one EVG and one Pfanstiehl a while back and though they look a little different, so not likely sourced from the same manufacturer, they were both excellent. One was $11 and one was $12. They weren't as good as an original STY 30, but they were very, very good. I don't have an STY 20 to compare, but the met or exceeded my STY 10 for sure.

Heckto35 likes this.
  21. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

The om30 copy is an elliptical, whereas a oem om30 is a fine line......but having said that the original is big bucks no whammys! Lol

Heckto35 and H8SLKC like this.
  22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Original, Jico or OM 10. No generics.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  23. needlestein

I don't think there's a big difference between a generic and a Jico in this case. The construction is very simple, no tie wires to leave out and save a few bucks. The generics are great. Of course, you're not getting a Fine Line.

24. thebunk

Thanks for the comments everyone. Going to buy a legit OM 10 then perhaps a generic (20 or a 30) off of Jelloalien

Jelloalien likes this.
  25. needlestein

I think those generics from 10-30 are all the same, meaning Pfanstiehl and EVG respectively offer the same stylus through the levels.

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.