Best Genesis on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opti, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I'm sure those are the same that's in the boxes. They say new stereo mix in the 30 second samples and 2014 release date.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

so these are not good?

3. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

They are remixes, if you are used to the originals you may not like them. If you hate louder mastering you will not like these also. Give the 30 second samples a listen.

4. Matthew Tate

thank you. to be honest other than the 1980-1991 genesis albums I haven't heard a 1970's genesis album all the way through more than a handful of times so its not like they are burned into my brain

Christopher B likes this.
  5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I am sure you know that no one dislikes the definitive remasters because of the word "Remaster" on them.

6. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

noise reduction (high frequencies muffled) and smiley-ish EQ. It differs from album to album.

yesstiles, jackinbox, DiabloG and 4 others like this.
  7. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Agree, bought the Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Collectors box set (cream not blue) and added Selling England and Lamb, all with the picture disc labels and some cropped covers. I did this after reading the previous best sounding Genesis CD thread on this forum. Added Rhino From Genesis To Revelation.

Not saying these are all the best sounding CDs, but they are all enjoyable listening. The only Remix I've heard is Foxtrot, from memory, there are some alternative lyrics in Suppers Ready, and the slight slowing has been corrected on the remix.

The DE I heard of Foxtrot, the hi-hats almost went missing with excessive noise reduction.

Since buying the picture CDs, I've not listened to the Remix again - heck, the slight tape drag even suits that segment of Suppers Ready!

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  8. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Regarding Foxtrot : Like you I also prefer the original cds with the strange out of tune section than the DE 1994 Who fixed it. For comparison purposes I highly recommend to listen to the beautiful solo guitar by Steve Hackett on supper's ready from 20:40 , on the original cds including The original Austria picture cd CASCD 1058 that I have the sound is so open and alive and on the 94 remastered the sound is very close and dry with no air.

The slight tape drag doesn't disturb me at all , can sound like interesting artistic choice:)

Shak Cohen and Randoms like this.
  9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I've since picked up US Atcos for Foxtrot, The Lamb, Japan for US Trick, W&W, Duke and IT. All excellent (IT apart but that's not fared well in the intervening years).

Front 242 Addict and Randoms like this.
  10. Randoms

Yes, those picture CDs really do sound good, and those Collectors Box sets use them. The only thing I dislike are the cropped cover art - as I rip the CDs, I've simply used the best images I could find - well the best appropriate Genesis album image. :D

I actually prefer Suppers Ready with the tape drag; it lost some charm with the fix.

weirdo12 and Front 242 Addict like this.
  11. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I always thought the tape drag was the result of stitching portions of different tracks together, never occurred to me that it may just be an error in playback!

Randoms likes this.
  12. Front 242 Addict

You can hear this kind of sounds especially on electronic albums from the 70-80 when they put some Filter /effect on the sound so the sound sounds out of tune as deliberate artistic choice , I like these kind of sounds.

I convinced myself that the tape drug is an artistic choice and everything is ok :)

Randoms likes this.
  13. Randoms

I believe it was on the master tape, and not corrected until 1994. If you want to isolate it, it's from around 14:15, lasting over a minute.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  14. The_Windmill

It was. Half song on one tape, half on another. during editing sessions it came out they were out of tune. It's a weird effect but when you get used to it it becomes part of the song and sort of fits the transition.

albertop, Merrick and Randoms like this.
  15. Matthew Tate

16. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Question regarding The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway: do all the pre-DE editions on CD have the "hum" issue or does there esist a late pre-DE edition that was corrected somehow?

17. The_Windmill

No corrected ones. fortunately.

Some editions have different fades in/out to try and disguise it when possible, but I don't remember which ones.

Personally, I think this hum thing has been made a bigger problem that it actually is.

18. grandegi

I have the DRE edition and so far I've refrained from tracking down an original mastering because of the hum issue... but who knows what the lesser evil is...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  19. grandegi

Does the original vinyl have this effect too?

20. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Nursery Cryme through Wind & Wuthering is my favorite period of Genesis. I’m a huge fan of their music. I prefer the original CD pressings (before the various remasterings -- the Atco/Atlantic releases). These have an atmosphere to them that the new Nick Davis remixes/remasters and the ‘Definite Edition’ remasters seriously lack. The problem with the Nick Davis remixes/remasters is they’re heavily compressed and really wear down my ears. The ‘Definitive Editions’ are no-noised to death. The atmosphere is completely drained from these remasterings. I wish whoever remastered the Steve Hackett early Charisma albums would do the early Genesis albums.

21. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

The hum on the early CDs of The Lamb is so overblown. I had to use earphones and crank it up in order to hear it.

22. Front 242 Addict

There is using of NR in the Lamb DE 1994 , you can hear it in the beginning of carpet crawlers when the soft singing of peter gabriel is muffled and you can't hear clearly every word , on the early original cds (Uk, Europe, US) , you can hear clearly every word, so you don't have the Hum on the DE but something is missing in the presence of the vocals.

Like you I bought first the DE becouse this is the cd I found in my one of my local stores
    but I was always curious to hear how the original cd sounds but I hesitated becouse I read about the HUM,
    Finally I decided to buy an original cd and I like it more than the DE, I was glad to find out that the Hum doesn't disturbing me , it's only at the end of tracks and between tracks, sounds like strange experimental sound .

For me the DE sounds a bit cold so I prefer the natural sound of the original cd.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    yesstiles and grandegi like this.
  23. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

That’s true. People tend to exaggerate when they dislike something or the sound of a particular recording. I, on the other hand, have yet to find any pressings that sound better than the originals.

grandegi likes this.
  24. The_Windmill

Never heard it but must certainly: the stereo master never changed until the remixes.

We know. :D

Actually, I can hear it pretty well. Maybe Thievius has one of those editions where it's faded out. But the point is: it's only here and there, and only in ultra quiet song beginnings or endings. Much like surface noise in a record. If that takes me away from enjoying the music, my guess is that my problem is NOT the hum to begin with ;)

And:
    In The Lamb
    Also, if memory serves me right, a lot of high-pitched information (like overtones from steel strings) is simply is not there anymore.

25. grandegi

OK, thank you... it's time to track down the original version...