Best Genesis on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opti, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Interesting, I own the US Atco of Trick and the 2007 remix (which I don't care for). Next time I see the DE I'll pick it up and give it a spin. I saw your blind listening test, but life got a little busy and I regretfully didn't participate.

DiabloG likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

For whatever reason, Genesis is one of the few bands I've been able to get some UK pressings of locally for totally reasonable prices, along with the Mofi Trick, and I dig all of them. Ordered a Japanese Duke based on a forum recommendation and also found it worthwhile. Not sure how US pressings compare, but that may be at play here.

The_Windmill and Dr. Funk like this.
  3. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

In order to appreciate the DE versions I guess you have to not be sensitive to digital noise reduction.

When I listen to something like "Mad Man Moon" on the DE, it sends me running for my old Atco LP to clear my head.

Plan9 and yesstiles like this.
  4. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Definitely true for some of the early albums as released in the US on Buddha. Some of those pressings are shrill and bright to my ears.

There are some great US pressings out there, however. But from what I've heard of the early albums, they tend to be the later reissues when Atlantic took over.

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Except for the two I mentioned, I have UK pressings of Foxtrot, SEBTP, Trespass, and Wind, although I think they may be mostly late 70's/early 80's reissues, but all still on Charisma. I'm happy enough with them to not feel the need to seek out any others. (My Lamb is a US, apparently that's one of the ones the US label actually did right)

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Probably....my entire Genesis vinyl collection is US, in which some sound better than others.
    Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England, and Lamb are mediocre sounding at best......unbalanced with very little bass.
    My two live albums, Genesis Live and Seconds Out sound really nice.
    Trick and Wind sound decent on the US Atco label. I used to own the MFSL of Trick but foolishly sold it about 20 years ago when I thought I was done with vinyl. :doh:
    ATTWT and Duke don't sound so good on Atlantic, but Abacab, Genesis s/t, and Invisible Touch do.....go figure.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  7. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Agree. Some here prefer the DE Lamb but I was extremely put off by the amount of "missing" information in it compared to the V/C. The hum is gone, but so is more else.
    Abacab is good though. Maybe a little tad too smiled, but I couldn't hear anything butchered there.

8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I've compared the DE and UK Virgin of Trick, and though the DE isn't horrible, I vastly prefer the UK original. The dynamics and clear deep bass are incredible.

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have Trespass on the early Charisma CD.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  10. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

The Early charisma/Virgin cd sounds very nice, when I am listening to the Magnificent Trespass sometimes I am listening to the MCA cd and sometimes to the Early Uk cd charisma/Virgin,
    Each one of them cd provide different listening experience due to different mastering , I enjoy both of them/

11. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Today I listened to my SEBTP Charisma CD (Special Price Version) and I still enjoy that one !!!
    Same goes for T, NC and F...too sad that they messed up the original cover artwork...but it is nice to have the lyrics printed in the booklets instead.
    Is there any chance to get the old 80s CD masterings with original covers AND lyrics ??? That would be the perfect solution...

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

For the Peter Gabriel era I went with the current CD for Trespass and the old Atlantic/Atco CD's for the others.

13. sathvyre

Sure, but the old CDs don't include the lyrics...and what is the current "Trespass" CD ?

14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Lyrics would be nice, but that's not a priority when it comes to Genesis and best sounding discs. All of my early Genesis from Trespass thru Wuthering + Duke are Virgin/Charisma's except for The Lamb and Trick which are Atco's. The only suspect one in the bunch is Wuthering, which sound really thin. But I expect that has at least something to do with the original master. Or the v/c uses an inferior master, I don't know.

And Then/Three I have a Target (also a little thin) and after that everything on regular old US Atlantics aside from Duke which is a v/c blue face. The later discs on Atlantic sound fine.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  15. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I have an Atco Sanyo Japan for US for Wind And Wuthering I really like.

16. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Probably only if you are prepared to mix and match (80s V/C disc in Japanese mini-LP sleeve version, for example).

[Edit] The original Atco version of The Lamb replicates the vinyl version, with all graphics and lyrics!

sound chaser likes this.
  17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Japan for Japan 3rd Pressing discs.

sathvyre and sound chaser like this.
  18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I went for the American Atlantic or Atco Japan. Never did like what they did on the UK CD releases.

19. sathvyre

Thank you very much...and if you could tell me which mastering they include and where I can buy them for a cool price, I would be very happy ;)

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

IIRC, they use the Black Triangle masterings. You just have to watch Ebay for when they pop up.

21. sathvyre

How do the BT mastering compare to the UK and US CDs ???

22. The_Windmill

do you know there is an extensive Genesis early CDs thread (version 2!!) that has all the answers you want, do you?

albertop likes this.
  23. sathvyre

Thank you, but I don't want to go through hundreds of posts to get a simply answer...

24. The_Windmill

There's a lot in its the fist pages alone, all synthesized by the mighty Black Elk.
    Non everything, but a lot. It's a case-by-case situation, you won't have one simple answer covering all albums. Some BTs are clones, some are not, some are (or were) unknown, others are re-EQ'd.

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover