Best hardware acquisition of 2017

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bert Oz

Bert Oz Forum Resident

In 2017 replaced Audiolab8200CD with Simaudio Moon260D. Epic! This year took a gamble spending £10 on a replacement Rega turntable belt for my 25 year old Systemdek I900. Fits like a glove

Dennis0675 likes this.
  2. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

That's easy: LKS MH-DA004 DAC

Dual ES9038PRO DAC chips, large dual toroidal linear power supply (50 watts each) with 13 groups of regulation, all JFET discrete output stage, Amanero USB module, Crystek femtosecond clocks (3), Mundorf caps and more.

Sound rivals excellent vinyl set-up.

3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Another Moon 260D fan here as well. Fabulous player/transport at it's respective price point.

4. macster

macster Forum Resident

2018 :

Shure V/15 Neo SAS stylus
    Shure M97Xe stylus
    VPI Dual pivot point :sigh: (probably will end up buying two)

M~

5. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

My Aiwa amp finally gave up the ghost in 2017 after 20+ years, so this year I've replaced it with a Denon PMA-520AE amp and a TEAC CD-P1260 MKii with Sennheiser HD201 headphones.

I'm working on a tight budget here but I'm really pleased with these. Both well made and sound fantastic to me.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Mine would be a pair of Monoprice M1060 headphones and a Korg DS-DAC100M.

7. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Something I'd been actively searching for just about 10 years. A Yamaha B-2 Power Amp. In pristine condition.

8. TY94

TY94 Member

A pair of Massdrop 6XX headphones.

billnunan likes this.
  9. TY94

TY94 Member

...and a Hidizs AP200. It's sound great but the software is a bit glitchy.

10. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

David Belles Aria integrated amplifier.

11. joshua erkman

joshua erkman New Member

Curious, Beatles4503 - what speakers and turntable do you have connected to the Belles Aria? Looking into getting one myself.

12. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

Josh,

I have the Zu Audio Dirty Weekends Mk. II with Clarity Cap upgrade paired with the Belles Aria. Highly recommended combo!

Tim

bajaed likes this.
  13. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

On the second to last, and second coldest day of the year, I picked up a Pro-Ject RPM 5 Carbon. While Pro-Jects seem to be rarer than hens teeth at SHF, I did a fair bit of comparison shopping at the $1500 price point and was most impressed with the soundstage and deeper bass with this fairly heavy minimalist design. As for value, you get about 90% of the features from the RPM 9 (Evolution CC 9" tonearm, decoupled motor plinth) for about half the price.

Almost three months in, the only grief I get is from my record shop, who doubles as the local Rega dealer.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  14. Gie663

Gie663 Forum Resident

In 2017 I upgraded my cartridge and my phono preamp :
    I changed my Denon DL-103 by an Audio Technica OC9 mk3. Together with the cartridge came a used Trichord Dino mk2, which substituted the good old Cambridge 640p. Sonically a big step forward.

15. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

Going vintage: acquired a pair of Sansui SP 3005
    [​IMG]

ronm, billnunan, PhilBiker and 2 others like this.
  16. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

Emotiva DC-1 DAC

Wasabi and JackG like this.
  17. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I've used one of those to run a system, made possible by the thoughtful inclusion of the analog input (for my turntable). Nice!

18. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

A Q-Up was the only thing I added to my system hardware-wise in '17 but it was money well spent!

Mintsauce and PhilBiker like this.
  19. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

2017 for me started with the acquisition of a new power amp - a Rogue Audio Stereo 100, replacing its predecessor, a Stereo 90 Super Magnum. Same family sound, but a much improved design overall.

Later in the year fellow board member Mreeter put the idea in my head about the Modwright LS 100 preamp, as I also had a Rogue Perseus Magnum. I found a really nice mint example around Halloween, and it proved to be a gateway drug into Modwright equipment in 2018. Thanks a lot Mreeter!

Not too long after that, my Massdrop Sennheiser HD 6XX headphones showed up. I picked up some Surf Cables balanced Pono cables, and that portable system is now at a whole new level for under $800 all in.

Last but not least was the conversion to an integrated digital source - one box to rule them all - a Sony HAP Z1ES. My local audio dealer hates this piece, but it actually sounds good in my system, especially with my 2018 upgrades. I may do the Modwright Truth mod on it, although that will triple my investment in the unit. Digital is a distant second to vinyl for me.

I’d have to say the best 2017 pickup was the Modwright.

20. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

2018:

A retirement present to myself:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quad II Classic Integrated amplifier.

Ex-demo, just over 50% price of a new one and wonderful.

I've owned my Mission Cyrus II since 1991, and it has been a faithful, faultless friend.

I felt a little guilty replacing it, but have always wanted a valve amp, and the deal was to good to pass by.

I'm sure I'll plug the Cyrus in occasionally for old times sake.

[​IMG]

bradleyc, Dan Steele, Bill and 13 others like this.
  21. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

New pillows for the couch.

They are used as landing pads for the spherical grey cat and now he can doze near me while I listen to music. Since cats improve everything my enjoyment from music went several notches up with the new pillows.

cdgenarian, PhilBiker, Dan and 3 others like this.
  22. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP) Thread Starter

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. SpeakerBox

SpeakerBox Active Member

Wow! Some nice gear here. I will be ordering a 301II soon to use with the Leach phono preamp I built from some boards I ordered back in 1977. Finally got around to building it a couple of years ago, should be interesting.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  24. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] My buddy called me a few minutes ago wondering if I want this black display thingy. “Heck yea” I says, thinking it may make a good album “now playing” stand. I’m sick I tell ya!

25. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

Trying to find one myself!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.