Best hardware acquisition of 2017

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

A Pioneer PL-71 turntable in need of a minor repair (armclip broken, now fixed) for £50. Providing great service in our lounge system and my wife will now actually use the record player, too, thanks to the push button speed change (she was never keen on the Rega we had in the lounge before).

nosliw, patient_ot and HiFi Guy like this.
  2. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

My only hardware purchase was my Trichord Dino Mk3 Phono stage, its lifted the sound from my turntable (from the much cheaper Cambridge phono that came before it) and that I got it for such a bargin price made it impossible to say no, and I'm real glad I didn't. Its a night/day difference to the sound that even my wife gave the thumbs up to, which is a big success in my book!

I don't know what 2018 will bring for purchases, I do still want to get a new Pre-Amp separate to carry me through a good few years, rather then depend on the one in my CD player but we'll see how the finances are. Then I can just spend money on the actual music!

patient_ot and GyroSE like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

In August 2016, I bought my first turntable setup.

In early 2017, I bought my current setup ; VPI Prime, Dynavector 20X2L cart, Dynavector P75 MK3 preamp, Okki Nokki RCM.

The Prime was definitely the biggest. It's been great fun discovering this hobby and hearing the great potential. In 2018, I'd like to upgrade any of 3 things ; speakers, integrated amp, and/or phono preamp.

4. Steeve

Steeve Forum Resident

Just one treat for Xmas:
    Kef LS50 wireless (Grey)

We live in a small house, main system comes out once a month if I’m lucky so I want something I can put together and away again quickly (especially when grandchildren aged 1 to 4 visit)
    The kefs are perfect.Speakers,Stands and Tidal on the tablet (10 min set up).

timind, RND4mGuy, DrZhivago and 3 others like this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Swapping my Fisher 400 for a Fisher kx-200. Huge improvement

6. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

McIntosh MP-1100 vacuum tube phono preamp. Brought my records to life, allows me to properly equalize AES, Columbia LP, and pre-1955 '78's. Boy, does that old stuff sound great through this phono preamp.

[​IMG]

winston1156, jerico, BDC and 13 others like this.
  7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I will replace my old gear, I used more than 12 years. I just bought EMM Labs, Pass Labs amps and Wilson Audio speakers end of this year. I'm done for the next 12 years.

BDC and timind like this.
  8. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Avid Sequel SP with SME 309 tonearm.
    Lyra Delos cartridge.
    Avid Pulsus phono preamp.
    Nordost Frey 2 to me arm cable.
    Rediculously cheap.
    [​IMG]

9. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Bought my "good for the next 5 years" system: Peachtree Nova 150 (fed from fanless PC/Foobar2000), KEF LS50s, and 2 REL T5i subs.

10. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

It's a tie. I purchased a new Nuforce sta200 amp back in August expecting it to be a temporary fill (Originally $1400 marked down to $499, class a/b), however, I love it so much I'm keeping it a while. Plus the Rogue RP-5 preamp

11. RandyHat

RandyHat Senior Member

Best hardware acquisition: Vandersteen Quatro CT speakers
    Best bang for buck hardware acquisition: Bluesound Node 2

timind, BD2665 and macster like this.
  12. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I only replace a piece every couple of years. This year's purchase made a solid improvement, more dynamic, better imaging, and more resolving.
    I had wanted to replace the preamp for years and finally bit the bullet this year.

Used ARC LS27 preamp assembly before putting it in the system.
    [​IMG]

BDC, timind, BD2665 and 8 others like this.
  13. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I bought what was, in some respects, a replacement item. I got a Naim 555DR power supply for my NDS music server. This is an interesting item. The sound is more detailed, but, that is most evident by my being able to hear more problems with the recordings, such as sloppy edits, changes in noise level when microphone gain is changed, etc. I am not so sure this has been musically more enjoyable. Still, I've had the old 555PS power supply for more than ten years now, so it was time for a replacement (it was originally used with my 555 CD player).

14. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Looks good, Mazzy.

Is that a TV, or a big pic of your wife, pissed that you spent so much money? :winkgrin:

So what did you do with your vintage JBL's ?

15. Bmotb

Bmotb Active Member

Oppo 205

16. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I'd have to say the Musical Surroundings Nova II. I used the Phonomena II for a few years and the Nova II simply increased the dynamics, resolution and soundstage well beyond its price point. Also going battery power made a huge improvement with noise floor, its bottomless, it really brought out the better of my Delos.
    After that I'd say my Parasound Halo 2.1 Integrated, this amp really brings it! More than enough power for anything and a sound quality that exceeded my expectations, super black background that allows only the music to come thru on all my sources, but especially the analog rig.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Three for me.

1, SimAudio Moon 260DT - transport

2. Bryston Mini-T speakers

3, Sennheiser HD800 headphones.

18. macster

macster Forum Resident

Would you be willing to provide some details as to how you did this?

M~

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

PS Audio DirectStream DAC and Memory Player. My digital now fully competes with my analog rig.

Secondarily, an excellent condition Revox A77 Mark III. I am exploring tape playback a bit at four track, 7.5 ips level.

paddycook likes this.
  20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yvettes are great speakers. I may buy a pair as well if I can't swing the Alexia 2s.

Tullman likes this.
  21. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Needed something for the bathroom. Riva Arena. Killer.

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Nice table! How do you like the Delos? I am considering that as my next cartridge.

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The text below your avatar/red tape reel would have been even better if you were in Alabama ;)

Hands down the best upgrade for me was the Merging NADAC. Completely transparent to Tape Project transfers to digital (using a Merging ADC), in comparisons with other audiophiles people were guessing which was which. It's so good in that I began selling my vinyl collection as CDs are no longer being held back. It has been a lot of fun going through my CD collection and listening to discs I hadn't heard in years since I was a primarily vinyl listener. Assuming the mastering is good the sound from CD is truly heavy weight champion here.

LeeS likes this.
  24. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Receiving my Sony UBP X800 Blu ray player for Christmas.

LeeS likes this.
  25. The JBLs are downstairs in my office. It’s my second system where I mostly only play CDs. I love them too.

The new B&Ws replaced a 15 year old pair of CM4s.

And yes And Jolie moved in after she broke up with Brad :tiphat: She loves loud music.

[​IMG]

William K, bluemooze, SirMarc and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.