Best hardware acquisition of 2017

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My best hardware acquisitions have been purchased in December and I haven't been able to listen to them yet (I'm vacationing in Georgia, gear is waiting or due to be shipped when I return). I'll bump this thread in late January when I return and have been able to listen to the new awesome acquisitions. This includes some gear I never thought I'd own because it was out of production and hard to get on the used market.

I ended up spending more on gear than I thought I would in 2017. The responsible part of me thinks I spent part of my 2018 gear budget (I did). Still, I'm thinking about what I'm going to get in 2018 (new headphones!). 2019 is planning for turntable gear.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  2. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Sony UBP-X800 which arrived today.

Immaculate pair of used Totem Sttaf speakers (in cherry finish) that I take possession of tomorrow.

But 2017 was the year of refurbishing vintage / classic gear that I've owned for quite some time. (Akai GXC-325D and Nakamichi RX-202 cassette decks; Pioneer SX-750 receiver; new stylus for ADC XLM Mk II Improved cartridge; to name but a few). Getting all of those pieces back into like-new condition feels even better than acquiring more gear.

Jeff

bradleyc, HiFi Guy, Doc Diego and 3 others like this.
  3. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Marantz 1060 integrated amp.

4. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

I have not attended one but I have a pair of Audeze LCD3 headphones and the combo with the Leben is outstanding. I had the headphones first, running through a vintage Marantz amp. When it came time to upgrade I picked the Leben after a long search partially because it uses same signal path for headphones as speakers. Definitely made the right choice for me.

If you are in Seattle sometime I'd be happy to demo for you.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

After changing everything after about 14 years or more, the pictured components were acquired in 2017 and all were good choices for me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manimal, monte4, Bananas&blow and 9 others like this.
  6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Seattle Head-Fi group does about 4 public meets each year. I make it up to Seattle for 1 or 2 of them each year. The meets where Bottlehead hosts or attends are always neat because Bottlehead uses a reel to reel with Tape Project tapes as source.

The Leben is an amp that others have described as having special synergy with Audeze headphones. I've just never been able to hear it yet to find out what that style of synergy sounds like. The only way to find out what that synergy sounds like is to hear it for yourself. Reviews can't convey that sort of thing. I have a Cavalli Liquid Fire amp that has special synergy with the Audeze headphones. One of the Seattle head-fi members has a Decware Taboo Mk III that has great synergy with the Audeze headphones. And I've heard a few other nice amps that have great synergy with the Audeze headphones. The Leben is one that I've not been able to see in person yet, much less hear. Always a treat to hear good amps that are able to do something special.

jlykos likes this.
  7. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

Cambridge CXU ($799 new), Schitt Gumby ($1379.00 damn State of Cali tax), Auralic Taurus Mk II head amp ($1249.oo new), Focal Elear cans ($999.00 new). That's my retirement headphone rig and the sources for my main rig (TAD-150 pre, Odyssey Stratos amp, Odyssey Lorelei speakers).

I'm done. Had the Tube Audio Design pre and Odyssey amp and speakers since 2005 so I'm not one to churn gear. The TAD/Odyssey setup was 4K new/B-stock back then.

bradleyc and bluemooze like this.
  8. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

I got a new 10’ FireWire cable this year. Everything else is a carryover

Kristofa likes this.
  9. vo_obgynmd

vo_obgynmd Forum Resident

Focal Elear Headphones. No need for EQ IMHO. Sounds unbelievably good in my set-up, even compared to my other high-end cans.

jerico and patient_ot like this.
  10. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

My top 3 for the year would be:
    Tisbury passive preamp
    Sansui AU717 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch

I’ll give the top spot to the Squeezebox: I’m very much enjoying the new ways of listening to music that it’s opened up. I wish I had bought one ages ago.

11. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

My NAD 3150 amplifier. Found one that was in great cosmetic shape, had been serviced, was priced well, and was local. Sounds great in my office system and has lots of power to spare. Can't wait to get my Massdrop HD-6XX headphones to use with this little champ :)

12. cmndrums

cmndrums Forum Resident

I went a little crazy this year after finally upgrading my vintage 65' Leedy drumset with matching snare to a brand new Canopus Neo-Vintage MI bitter brown satin finish drum set. Music work pays for all my new 2017 toys.
    1. I replaced my Dynavector 10x5 cartridge to a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star. I found an excellent deal and chose it over the more expensive Lyra Delos.
    2. Replaced my Musical Surroundings Phonomena II with the Parasound Halo JC 3+ phonostage.
    3. I purchased my first tube headphone amp, Decware Taboo MKIV.
    4. I am first on the list to receive the new ZMF Auteur Headphones in early January.

13. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

How do you like the JC3+? I'm torn between that and the new 3 Jr.

displayname and cmndrums like this.
  14. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I love my SBT. I use iPeng exclusively to control it so I can avoid touching it, much less squeezing it.

rogertheshrubber and Wes_in_va like this.
  15. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Klipsch Cornwall II, Line Magnetic LM-211Ia and LM-215CD.

16. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Along those lines, I bought an Audeze LCD-3 this year and a Linear Tube Audio LZ2 preamp / headphone amp and linear power supply to drive them. I like the combination a lot. The LZ2 cuts through some of the muddy veil that these headphones have with lesser amps and allow everything to come through very well.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  17. cmndrums

cmndrums Forum Resident

So far everyone I really enjoy it. I had Mark Heaston, Crimson Audio dealer set up my Sound Smith cartridge. Mark who usually works with very expensive systems was impressed with the overall sound. I apologized for my system, and he said Why? This sounds fantastic.
    I have JBL L36 speakers, and Line Magnetic 216IA Tube Integrated amp. One of these days I will finally invest in nice speakers.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  18. rushca01

rushca01 Member

Anthem AVM60 pre/pro
    McIntosh c2300
    McIntosh mc402

BGLeduc likes this.
  19. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

A pair of Martin Logan Theos speakers. Now just to find a amp in 2018 to get the best (that I can afford) out of them.

monte4, Ntotrar and patient_ot like this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, I am very pleased with the Yvettes. I definitely couldn't swing the Alexia 2's. I really like my CAT JL5 with these speakers. When I went to visit CAT couple of years ago Ken Stevens was using Alexia's to test the JL5. I knew, at that point, that Wilson's match up well with CAT amps.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Might as well throw in a pic.
    [​IMG]

22. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Add'l like for the rug.

NM?

4_everyman and Dennis0675 like this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

??

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Native American - from New Mexico?

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Oh, you mean the Pendleton blanket, it is a Native American design from Oregon. The rug is Persian.

Kyhl and Erik Tracy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.