Best Hardware Acquisition of 2018

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

2. KevinM

KevinM Well-Known Member

Acquired used Naim 152XS, FlatCap 2x, and Nap 200. They replaced an Arcam integrated amp. I like to listen at low volumes and the Naim equipment hits the mark.

HankM and Gasman1003 like this.
  3. RandyHat

RandyHat Senior Member

Yes.

4. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

A pair of PMC Twenty5.23 Loudspeakers, again ex demo stock in perfect condition.

They are difficult t0 photograph as they are diamond black.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now here's a phrase one doesn't see every day, sadly:

[​IMG]

Beautiful quality and lovely sound, complementing my system perfectly, albeit in my compromised listening space.

twenty5.23 | PMC Loudspeakers

PMC Twenty5.23 review

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Schiit Loki equalizer. Really handy component. No system is perfect, but this helps bring it closer.

6. Benjamin Reed

Benjamin Reed Well-Known Member

Going balanced for the first time, with the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ into a Creek power amp.

jhenry, mds and Gasman1003 like this.
  7. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Sent my Border Patrol DAC SE back to Gary and had the USB input added. Now I have the full USB + SPIDF (switchable) version.

8. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

I added a pimped out Rega p9 recently, my only purchase for the year thus far....As the little lady cracked down on me after that purchase, it might be my only pickup for 2018.

#firstworldproblems

9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Pass Labs new XP-22 preamp which replaced a CJ ET5 in my second system. This preamp can compete with preamps costing thousands more.
    Runner up is a blinged out JCorder with flux heads and a Doshi Audio Tape Preamp

10. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Got Paradigm Signature S2 v2 bookshelves used. About double in size as compared to my Paradigm Studio 10 bookshelves. It is a step up from my Studio.

According to this advertising from 2009, those are Stereophile class-A rated speakers.
    Paradigm Signagture S2 v2 Beryllium (Canada)
    Picture from that link:
    [​IMG]

Marantz AV8801 preamp used. A step up from my Pioneer SC95.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  11. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

My brother upgraded his speakers, so I bought his original ESS AMT 1b floor standing speakers (re-foamed and in excellent condition) $250...stock photo
    [​IMG]

12. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Technics SL-1200G, Jelco TK-850S, and a Koetsu Urushi Sky Blue.

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I think you need more connections. :laugh:

14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Allied 333 tube receiver, JVC-QLA5 TT & Audio Technica VM-540ML. Killer cartridge worth every penny. Rebuilt & upgraded the Alied 333 and it sounds as good as any Fisher product. Must have Siemens 6BM8s though. Others do not sound so great & Mullard are simply awful.

Gasman1003 and gakerty like this.
  15. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Hana SH.
    [​IMG]

Every old LP sounds fresh & new.

16. ethansdad

ethansdad Forum Resident

I’m one of those who has significantly upgraded my system this year after getting off the surround sound merr-go-round (11.2 ). Without a doubt the most dramatic improvement I’ve ever made was the purchase of a pair of Harbeth 30.1 two months ago. I’m enjoying listening to my entire music collection like it’s the first time!

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

My new audio gear..... emmLabs, Nagra, MIT, Hifiman.

Latest addition: SXR 3-level-rack and M3X platforms by Harmonic Resolution Systems.

alan967tiger and Gasman1003 like this.
  18. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Mine would be my 2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat!, but if we are talking audio, it would be close between the KEF LS50W in the Den or the Fostex TH900's in the office! Both have changed how I listen in those rooms!

19. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I got a set of NHT speakers for the 5.1 system in my office for $39.99 at a thrift store.

4x SB1 1x SC1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They sound really, really great, and after re-arranging all the other speakers in my house (the speakers here went elsewhere - other speakers were moved) I ended up with upgraded sound in every room in my house, and look forward to money in my pocket from selling the worst speakers I had on eBay for much more than I spent on these NHTs.

20. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Bluesound Vault 2 with Schiit Gungnir DAC, 2 Node 2, Energy Veritas 2.2 (for 2nd system). Sounds great!!

HankM and Gasman1003 like this.
  21. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Well, so far I haven't noticed a dud in the bunch and this thread certainly goes a long way towards explaining why the economy is looking up.

WapatoWolf and Garthb like this.
  22. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

I posted this in April in the 'are you satisfied thread,' but no reason to type it again!

I've changed my system, completely, twice this year! First was KEF LS50s, 2 REL 5Ti subs, and Benchmark Dac2 and their wonderful AHB2 amp. Was a true, first in my lifetime, eye opener visa vi resolution and bass timing/accuracy. However, I found it a bit too analytical, and (I'm somewhat ashamed to say..) visually unappealing. I like wood! Anyway, I'm Very Satisfied now (PS Audio's Stellar Gain Cell DAC and Stellar S300 amp, Monitor Audio Silver 300 speakers in lovely walnut, and MassDrop Sennheiser HD6XX phones). I can easily enjoy this for the next 10 years, during which my 'above average for my age' (58) hearing will eventually falter. I'll need 10 years to get my pathetic finances in shape anyway!

23. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

McCormack UDP-1

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Oppo 205 to replace a 105D in my main system and another one to replace a 103 in the system in my bedroom.

25. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.