Best inner sleeves to use for LPs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Simon F., Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon F.

Simon F. Formerly Mister Yesterday Thread Starter

Howdy, I was wondering what are the best inner sleeves to use for vinyl. Are the MFSL Master Sleeves any good? And does anyone know where they sell those in Toronto? Thanks.

2. GKH

GKH Senior Member

The MOFI (Mobile Fidelity) Original Master Sleeves - package of 50 for $20 are more than likely the best available. :righton:

They are easy to load the LP in, and they remain fairly rigid for sliding into the cardboard. Great quality!

3. Simon F.

Simon F. Formerly Mister Yesterday Thread Starter

Alright, I'll check 'em out.

4. enginesix

enginesix Member

I like the Sleeve City, Disckeeper 1.5 round bottom lp sleeve. 50 for $10.

5. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

I refuse to let any type of plastic touch my LPs. I've seen too many types degrade over time and damage the vinyl.

Wally Swift likes this.
  6. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I'm replacing all my Disckeeper 1.5s. PM me your address, and I'll you send mine - free. :righton:

7. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

I like the MOFI inner's.

Coricama likes this.
  8. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

That's what I use, and they keep the vinyl clean along with everything else said above.

9. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Curious to learn what you use. Rice paper sleeves?....

I'm more worried about aging / shedding / acidifying paper than I am about some kind of future decay of the plastic in Mofi sleeves.

11. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I use MOFIs. The best inner sleeves I've ever used.

12. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

Link for the best source to buy these?

Thanks.

13. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

The sleevetown link takes you there. The Mofi sleeves are the 6th ones down from the top.

14. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

Mofi sleeves are nice because they are made of the same material throughout, which is less abrasive than paper. So for those of us who put the LP outside of the jacket, any ringwear that might have happened is minimized.

15. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I use the poly line paper sleeves from Sleevetown and the MOFI but prefer the MOFI. The Double Diskeeper looks interesting for sets like the early Analogue Productions 45s that are double LP without a gatefold cover.

16. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

What do peeps from the UK use? Mofi are expensive on ebay in the UK. To convert them to $ you are looking at $70 for 100, which is double what you pay in the States.

Alan2 likes this.
  17. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I'll add my vote for these. They are sturdier...the Mofi sleeves tend to have the edges crumple sliding the record in and out of the cardboard jacket.

18. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

How do the Sleeve City Disckkeeper 1.5 round bottom compare to the Nagaoka No.102?

I really like the Nagaoka but the Disckeeper look very similar. I'm concerned about 'cheaping out' and getting inferior product > if that's the case with the 1.5's?

19. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I use the japanese rounded bottom bags. They aren't my favorite for handling(and I usually put them inside a paper sleeve or original lyric sleeve, but they were very cheap. I think I paid something like £7 for 50 from Ebay.

20. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I switched from mofi to the ultimate disc keeper which seems similar to mofi but both sides are paper encased with Lear center hole for label.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  21. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

I use the Diskeeper Audiophile Inner from sleevetown. I haven't tried the newer one with the dual-paper and the cutout yet, I think I'll stick with the single-paper one because of slightly less cost.

They're fantastic, and they don't crumple/bend when slipping them in the outer sleeves, so they're really easy to handle. I also have had pretty solid results with their sizing, I've had relatively few that are stamped 'too tight' such that the record doesn't slide in/out easily.

They make record handling a dream, which is my pet peeve with most other types of sleeves I've used.

22. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

That's very interesting. I have three Columbia Lps: Ray Conniff Singers Mary Poppins, The Byrds Greatest Hits, and Paul Revere & the Raiders Greatest Hits, all have their original poly liners, and all were bought in the '60s (1965, 1967, & 1968). They are all in perfect condition: they never stuck to the record, never deteriorated in any way, and they still have not split. I guess not all liners are created equal.

BTW, I use the paper/poly liners from the Needle Doctor, and I'm very happy with the quality. http://www.needledoctor.com/12-Paper-Poly-Inner-Sleeve-25-pack?sc=2&category=500

Funk/Tonk likes this.
  23. enginesix

enginesix Member

I have some japan pressings with the nagaoka sleeve. the disckeeper appears to be a very close reproduction of it. I bought 100 8 years ago, and have had no problems with them. when I purchase used vinyl, after cleaning, I put the lp in the disckeeper, before replacing it in the paper sleeve.

24. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Another vote for the Disckeeper Audiophile inner sleeve. I have about 400 of them in my collection, and they are always a great fit. What I love about them is that more often than not, they fit perfectly inside of the original lyric sleeve, which I think is nice. The only thing I don't like is that Sleevetown, the only place that sells them, charges a rather high amount for shipping -- $9.30 for UPS. I usually wait until they have a sale to ease the pain of that.

25. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

I use acid free paper sleeves from Bags Unlimited. I have been using these for nearly 20 years with NO signs of anything happening to the vinyl. Yes, you have to be a little more careful when removing or inserting the LP to prevent sleeve scuffs, but even if you do get a mark they are almost never audible. I can think of very few instances where I could blame a vintage paper sleeve for causing some sort of issue with older vinyl. Sometimes it gets yellowed or brittle, but there are few instances where this has caused an audible issue with the LP. Contrast that with 100s of LPs over the years with plastic/poly inners that have either left a residue that could be cleaned off with a strong cleaner, like The Disc Doctor's augmented cleaning fluid, or have actually reacted with the vinyl surface itself, rendering the LP unplayable. I purchased a collection of 50+ Japanese original 70's pop/rock LPs a couple of years ago and had to return nearly half of them because of this sleeve contamination. Shame too...many great LPs that were turned to garbage. As usual YMMV, but I'm sticking with paper for my ~15k collection!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.