Best inner sleeves to use for LPs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Simon F., Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

I'm in the middle of re-sleeving the collection, and just want to report that every LP that I foolishly sleeved in those poly lined sleeves from Bags Unlimited has a discoloration/residue on the vinyl. Fortunately, I can clean it off with an old felt-style Discwasher and some cleaning fluid and a soft cloth. But god, what a f****ing pain.

Yeah, I know. Duh. Should have known better.

AVOID Bags Unlimited poly lined sleeves if you love your vinyl.

2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Can you post a photo? I hope nobody had to go through what you have - that's awful.

3. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

I'll try to do that tomorrow. Long night.

4. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I am still searching for these am inner sleeves (Toronto) but to no avail :cry: They are really high quality thick paper and rice paper lined.

am sleeve.jpg

5. I just received a used record, and the old poly-lined sleeve was stuck to the record a bit. I was able to get the record out, the the surface now has lots of marks/discoloring from the sleeve. Is there any way to get rid of it? I tried some alcohol in the deadwax area, but that didn't take it off.

6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I keep a variety of inner sleeves handy. Most of the time, it's the jacket that determines what works best.
    • rounded-edge paper sleeve, for any VG+ used vinyl
    • half-round poly (Japanese style) for good vinyl that mates with the heavy tip-on jacket.
    • square poly, for heavy direct-board US pressings (any US '70s and later, recent Scorpio reissues etc.)
    • square, rice paper style sleeves for the tight '60s US jackets (Columbia, Capitol etc.)
    • square, polypropylene-lined paper sleeves for UK and EU pressings.

7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

My 30+ year old MoFi sleeves are still like new. It seems the new ones are similar but a little stiffer

The FRiNgE, macster and mikeyt like this.
  8. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

These are the best inners I've ever bought.. the look and texture is like the FedEx envelopes except not floppy. It's like the records float on air across the material. A guy here in Columbus used to have them custom made in bulk but a couple years ago he was told they could no longer be made, and upon hearing this news another customer went in and bought all his remaining stock of 700+. And they were affordable- 15 bucks for 50.

If anyone knows where any of these are available, I'd love to know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sailfree, VinylRob and mikeyt like this.
  9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The ones from MA recordings are close but cost $33 for 50. They are the best I've found.
    http://www.marecordings.com/main/pr...d=169&osCsid=f97d2818b983420e657465894ac00817

10. groovelocked

Thanks TommyTunes, they look a bit thinner but I will give those a try! The ones I mention, I believe were also made in Japan.

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I swapped my high value Blue Note, Prestige and some UK first pressings into those (and then records are placed in generic white jackets to prevent wear to the original jacket), no doubt the best sleeves if money isn't a concern. For the rest of my plebeian vinyl I'll stick with Disckeeper Audiophile.

12. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I have never seen these before. Ampex 456, 499, Quantegy reel to reel tape boxes appear to be made of the same material. They have a slick, non-friction feel.

groovelocked likes this.
  13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I got that ones and wow! are great, disc insertion and eject slides easy a not get bubbles or cracks like plastic like mfsl or diskeepers...
    are very soft, my only question is! that japan's really dont hold static? I mean are tested for antistatic?
    more deep tech info?

also I know that material for floopy... but this japans I think are better, are like cloth... so soft.

the bad: not cheap...

14. bresna

bresna Senior Member

That looks like Tyvek, which is probably not a good choice. It out-gasses ethylene dioxide.

groovelocked likes this.
  15. groovelocked

Dammit!! Wonder what the time able is before this out-gassing becomes noticeable. I've had some records in them for over 6 years now and still performing beautifully and wishing I could find more every time I touch them or replace sleeves with other types.

16. bresna

bresna Senior Member

If you haven't seen any problems, I wouldn't worry too much. I saw that comment as a potential problem with Tyvek, not a damnation of the concept. In fact, in looking around the web, I found others who were trying to find these Tyvek LP sleeves, so you're not alone.

17. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Mofi's and Diskeepers are really anti-static???
    I mean, after cleaning a record and remove static with the gun or some other tool, and insert in a MOFI, the mofi or diskeepers really don't add static? or keep out the static?
    that inners are really tested about anti-static or are just a commerical stuff not true?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  18. Just bought 100 more MA Recording inner sleeves. For the record (pun intended) they are not made of Tyvek---but rather two types of "spun" polyethelene fibers. They are expensive but I like these very much. They are semi "cloth like" and do have a tendency to "bunch up" some when sliding into the jacket, but after a little practice this problem is minimal when you get the knack of using them. I live in the U.S. Virgin Islands (North side near a rain forest) and our relative humidity is very high. Mold and mildew is a primary concern for me. The fact that these inner sleeves are "breathable" and do not trap moisture against the record make them my top choice.

19. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

They sound great, get good reviews but the price here in the UK is prohibitive. More than $1 per sleeve if my maths is correct.

20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Ive always used the MOFI, until recently. I got 3 packages of sleeves in a row where all the sleeves were too big to fit in the jacket.
    After contacting MOFI, they pretty much told me "They look fine to me"
    So, I said screw MOFI and have since swapped to sleeve city (DiscKeeper, not the round bottom, but the ones similar to MOFI). Just as nice and GREAT customer service.

Sailfree likes this.
  21. Yikes!!! I thought 66 cents each was bad!!!

22. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

If you measure them they are? I just got a new batch from MOFI so I can compare. I have had no such problems. I'm very happy with mine.

23. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

24. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

25. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

I split things, for my gems (in musical terms) I use MoFi Original Master Sleeves and didn't have any issue yet! Regarding their size, this is not important to me. I always store the records outside of their covers, the covers are stored separate in an ultimate outer 5.0 from Sleeve City, both are stored together in a thick polyethylene outer sleeve. You can call me obsessive, but this is the best possible way to keep a maximum condition for both, the cover as well, as the record. . [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.