Best JAZZ Rhythm Section (or shall I say, NON ROCK rhythm section)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drlep, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drlep

Drlep Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, since the rock fans don't want us at THEIR party, we'll have our own.

My nominee for best jazz rhythm section is Basie's original band section: Count Basie (piano), Freddie Green (guitar), Walter Page (bass), Jo Jones (drums). Which section had its roots, of course, in the great rhythm section of Bennie Moten's 1931-32 orchestra.

Runners up: Fletcher Henderson's early 30s rhythm section with either Fletcher or Horace Henderson, John Kirby, Clarence Holiday and Walter Johnson; Ellington's rhythm sections anchored by Sonny Greer, Ellington and Freddie Guy (with Wellman Braud, or Hayes Alvis & Billy Taylor, or Jimmy Blanton). Any rhythm sections with Gene Krupa or Sid Catlett!

In all honesty, I would prefer not to have segregated threads for more general questions such as these. I see NO reason why the jazz and rock (and other) music fans cannot learn FROM each other by having intra-thread dialogues. But the "rock only" rhythm section thread was basically "rock only," so in all fairness the jazz and other genres' greats deserve their due here as well. (And let's please hear it for western swing too!)

2. Matt

Matt New Member

My pick for the best:
    (Wayne Shorter and Miles Davis) Herbie Hancock-Ron Carter-Tony Williams.

Runner-ups (with other members):
    (John Coltrane) McCoy Tyner-Jimmy Garrison-Elvin Jones

(John Coltrane and Miles Davis) Red Garland-Paul Chambers-Philly Joe Jones

(John Coltrane) Thelonious Monk-Wilbur Ware-Shadow Wilson (I probably shouldn't, because they only put out three cuts on record, but they're still a great group)

and from the famous Massey Hall Concert (Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie) Bud Powell-Charles Mingus-Max Roach

3. Sound

Sound Member

I'd like to put in a vote for The Ray Brown Trio:
    Ray Brown - Bass.
    Gene Harris - Piano.
    Jeff Hamilton - Drums.
    No weak link.

4. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

Wynton Kelly - Paul Chambers - Philly Joe Jones.

Just ******' Solid !

Best - Ed

5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Agree!
    Dan C

6. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Also the rhythm section of Kelly (piano), Chambers (bass) and Jimmy Cobb (drums). They played on so many fantastic sessions from 1959 to the late sixties (Chambers passed away in '69, I believe).

They were probably the most recorded rhythm section of the '60s - all their work backing Miles, Wes Montgomery (thanks Steve!), Art Pepper (thanks again, Steve!), Coltrane, Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan and dozens more..

I highly recommend the Mosaic Records box set of the complete Wynton Kelly/Paul Chambers Vee Jay recordings. Either Philly Joe or Jimmy Cobb play on the majority of the sessions (6 CDs worth). It's a limited edition, but still in print and available by mail order.

My other choice for a favourite is Basie's mid-fifties to early-sixties rhythm section of Freddie Green (guitar), Eddie Jones (bass) and the incredible Percival "Sonny" Payne (drums). Any recording from this era of the Basie band is worth hearing.

My choice for a surprisingly great rhythm section is Ginger Baker, Charlie Haden and Bill Frisell. They made two albums as the "Ginger Baker Trio" for Atlantic in the mid-nineties ("Going Back Home" and Falling Off The Roof") that are just fantastic.

"Going Back Home" in particular is a magical album - I was really surprised. I hope they can get together and record again...

John
    Vancouver, BC

7. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I think drummers Max Roach and Art Blakey have to be considered here.

8. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Not yet mentioned:

Charlie Haden & Ed Blackwell or Billy Higgins (Ornette Coleman)
    Charlie Haden & Paul Motian (Keith Jarrett)
    Dave Holland & Jack DeJohnette (Miles Davis, et al)
    Malachi Favors & Don Moye (Art Ensemble of Chicago)
    Percy Heath & Connie Kay (Modern Jazz Quartet)

9. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Charles Mingus & Dannie Richmond
    Charles Mingus & Max Roach
    Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
    Paul Chambers & Jimmy Cobb
    Andrew Simpkins & William Dowdy
    Bob Cranshaw & Al Harewood
    Ben Dixon (behind Grant Green and Baby Face Willette)
    Steve Nelson, Billy Kilson & Dave Holland
    Billy Higgins & Ron Carter

Just to name a few......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.